GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Omg!!! Would someone please helpp!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-09, 12:30 AM
kingof901s
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Omg!!! Would someone please helpp!!!!!!

I am really freaking out guys. GOD please help me. Ok so i have a 2002 GS300 100k miles on it. Today driving to work and back home was just fine. But when as soon as i turn in my neighborhood subdivision the car starting to stall when i step on the gas. I stop the car immediately and try to step on the gas to see what was wrong. The RPM just rev and the car doesnt move at all I turn off the car and turn it back on to see if it going to run still the same. So i went under the hood and disconnect the negative from the battery for like 30 second and plug it back in. Start the car it runs for a good 10-15 second and then start doing the same thing again. I have to do the negative wires a few times just so i can reach to my house. Would someone please help me figure out the problem? I hope its not the transmission go bad? PLEASE HELPPPP!!!!!!
Old 09-27-09, 12:45 AM
lexus ASM
Driver

First check the trans fluid level. Do you have a check engine light on?
If the level is good and theres no check engine light, take it to the dealer and have them scan the car, and check if the valve body is actuating. While you are there have them drain the trans fluid and see if there is any metal debris in it. Its either electrical... Or mechanical. The fact that you can get the car to limp home by disconnecting the battery indicates an electrical issue.
Old 09-27-09, 04:07 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Lexus ASM.
Old 09-27-09, 08:36 AM
trinituner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its far from a lexus but i was having the same problem with my 2000 nissan maxima. it turned out to be the wheel speed sensor. In most cases its not your tranny however, I agree with ASM, let the dealer diagnose it for you. keep us updated
Old 09-27-09, 09:35 AM
kingof901s
Driver

yea if anything i really hope its not the trans. I dont really have that kind of money for that kind of service im still in school. But i'll keep you guys updated tho. How much do you think all this stuff will run me? And do i have to call a told truck to take it to the dealer?
Old 09-27-09, 10:22 AM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would assume it to be many other things before I would look at the trans itself. As most of us here know, Lexus transmissions just dont quit, especially at 100k.
Old 09-27-09, 10:48 AM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

whenever I took my gs to the stealership for a diagnose it cost me $50, so it's not that expensive to find out what's wrong with it. Good luck and please let us know what the problem ends up being.
Old 09-27-09, 05:20 PM
kingof901s
Driver

Originally Posted by lexus ASM
First check the trans fluid level. Do you have a check engine light on?
If the level is good and theres no check engine light, take it to the dealer and have them scan the car, and check if the valve body is actuating. While you are there have them drain the trans fluid and see if there is any metal debris in it. Its either electrical... Or mechanical. The fact that you can get the car to limp home by disconnecting the battery indicates an electrical issue.
the check engine was on until i unplug the negative cable from the battery. But last time i checked it was p0161 and p0420. I have a OBX header installed like a month ago.
Old 09-27-09, 09:00 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Default Bingo!!!

Originally Posted by kingof901s
the check engine was on until i unplug the negative cable from the battery. But last time i checked it was p0161 and p0420. I have a OBX header installed like a month ago.

Guarenteed you installed the header and its cooked some wiring. I didnt look but I assume its a gs300, the header runs right next to the trans... I'd start looking at any wiring running past the headers for burn marks or hot spots... Might want to look for a loose connector too.

You said the car ran but the trans wont engage... Those other codes shouldn't have any effect... But why OBX headers, its a lexus treat it like one.

Goodluck, and the stealership I work for charges $110.00 for diag. If its a wiring repair we charge $50.00 per wire after diag. (Metro DC area, and $5.00 loaner cars)

Last edited by lexus ASM; 09-27-09 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-27-09, 09:38 PM
bg_281
Driver

I just recently had something similar to that happen to my 430... every time I stepped on the gas the car just wouldnt go... even with my foot planted down on the gas it would barely accelerate and after about 55mph or so it just would accelerate anymore... turns out that it was a knock sensor that went badwhich caused my car to go into limp mode... cost me $650 in labor at my local goodyear mechanic...
Old 09-27-09, 10:01 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by kingof901s
Okay, why are you running with those codes on? That means you have a bad sensor on bank 2 and your cat is sensing some additional exhaust gases on bank 1. Doubtful both are going at the same time, which means that ASM is probably right - you're cooking the harness. No idea what an OBX header is, but it sounds like that's at the root of your problem. Whoever put it in should have exhibited more care in the install. Wires + exhaust system = big problems.

Big Mack
Old 09-28-09, 01:33 PM
BklynJay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus ASM
Guarenteed you installed the header and its cooked some wiring. I didnt look but I assume its a gs300, the header runs right next to the trans... I'd start looking at any wiring running past the headers for burn marks or hot spots... Might want to look for a loose connector too.

You said the car ran but the trans wont engage... Those other codes shouldn't have any effect... But why OBX headers, its a lexus treat it like one.

Goodluck, and the stealership I work for charges $110.00 for diag. If its a wiring repair we charge $50.00 per wire after diag. (Metro DC area, and $5.00 loaner cars)
Some STEALERships will remove the diagnostic fee if you service it with them. But then again, they will charge both your arms and legs if you do it with them. Damn double edge sword.
Old 09-29-09, 08:13 AM
lexus ASM
Driver

Yah we're a bunch of bastards... haha!
Old 09-29-09, 10:27 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly I would check the O2, MAF, TPS, and APS sensors before you dig any further. There is no serious wiring that goes around the exhaust header side. All of the wiring on that side is just for the O2 sensors. The important wires for the transmission and most of the engine operation are on the intake side of the engine.

If you have the symptom of the car not even revving up if you step on the gas pedal...and it will only rev up when you're about 80%+ down into the pedal. Then it's a fault in the ETCS-i(electronic throttle body system). Check the wiring for the TPS(throttle position sensor) and APS(accelerator pedal position sensor). If you have a multimeter, you can check the sensor itself to see if its still good or not.

Another possibility is the O2 sensor went bad because the aftermarket header places them much closer to the head. The additional heat will burn up the sensor.

If you don't know how to fix or diagnose it yourself, I would suggest you take it to a shop instead of poking around. You might cause more harm than good.
Old 09-30-09, 02:45 PM
kingof901s
Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Honestly I would check the O2, MAF, TPS, and APS sensors before you dig any further. There is no serious wiring that goes around the exhaust header side. All of the wiring on that side is just for the O2 sensors. The important wires for the transmission and most of the engine operation are on the intake side of the engine.

If you have the symptom of the car not even revving up if you step on the gas pedal...and it will only rev up when you're about 80%+ down into the pedal. Then it's a fault in the ETCS-i(electronic throttle body system). Check the wiring for the TPS(throttle position sensor) and APS(accelerator pedal position sensor). If you have a multimeter, you can check the sensor itself to see if its still good or not.

Another possibility is the O2 sensor went bad because the aftermarket header places them much closer to the head. The additional heat will burn up the sensor.

If you don't know how to fix or diagnose it yourself, I would suggest you take it to a shop instead of poking around. You might cause more harm than good.
Yea im waiting for a guy that I know he a mechanic work for Lexus of Memphis to come over to take a look at it. He said he was going to come by yesterday after work but never showed up i'll try to call him again.

I look around under the hood and under the car. I dont see anything that has been burned or any wires that has been burned. So I dont really know whats the deal is here. Today come home from school crank the car up and try to put it in drive and reverse. Still same symtom, the car will move but 10-15 sec later it just stood still no more movement but just RPM rev when I step on the gas.

Quick Reply: Omg!!! Would someone please helpp!!!!!!