GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How does your UAS ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 12:01 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

sad to hear the bad news... seams now you know what the wobble was. Take some pics cause I (as probably most) am not sure what actually broke? I thought maybe you busted the hub/spindle, but then you said you put spare on and drove home on one lug... Did you just snap all your studs? that wobble you were feeling could have been just your lugnuts loose and as the wobble continued, your rims just slowly began finishing the studs off till they broke off... Cheap fix, as long as they didnt take anything else with them. good luck, keep us posted
Old 09-30-09, 05:26 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NO, they where on tight. Ill try and take pics later as I left my camera @ work.
Old 09-30-09, 06:09 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EN_VY
NO, they where on tight. Ill try and take pics later as I left my camera @ work.
how about over torqued? I over torqued mine on one wheel (which created MY wobble) I replaced them lat week and wobble gone. I'll stop guessing until you get pics up
Old 09-30-09, 06:13 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Over torqued? Over tightened you mean? I dont know?.. I just tighten till I cant anymore.
Old 09-30-09, 01:35 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over torqued? Over tightened you mean? I dont know?.. I just tighten till I cant anymore.
hey Envy,

Sorry to here about your accident. The wobbling @ freeway speeds was your tires the whole time? Your tires were bald? I thought you only had 600 miles on them?

When mounting wheels, hand tighten first, then use a good torque wrench. Torque specs on most Toyota/Lexus cars is 76lbs. torque. Never over tighten the lugs, you may warp your rotors or snap a stud.
Old 09-30-09, 05:05 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

People say it's pointless to get an alignment if you have air suspension. That isn't true at all. I get better tire life than some people on coilovers because my toe is in spec at my ride height. If you don't get it aligned your tires can be bald in 600 miles.
Old 09-30-09, 06:12 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Yeah, my tires have about 600 miles. I bought them right before I installed the air suspension. Maybe put about 300 miles on them. After the install, I left my car sitting for a while. Now after a month of driving it, the rear wheels are bald. Well, slightly more from the nside. My front tires(which where bought at the same time as rears) have about 90% thread on them, if not more. Ok, so its true that I NEED alignment and balancing? How many miles have you guys put on your air equipped vehicle before replacing them?
Old 09-30-09, 07:32 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have mine alighned at were i driving height just set it before you go in but without rear rcas you will never get the rear camber right and as fr as ride it improved when i changed out the front top mounts to bring the bag higher in the front that made it so i could lower my pressure in the front to 45-50psi same in the rear. 70 is maxxed out so i don't know how anybody is getting there's to 90psi but the new front upper strut mount is key to the ride being right! and i would use a sport strut not stock the stock will blow out quick with the bags bottoming them out all struts are going to blow out over time but the cheap ones seem to go twice as fast.
Old 10-01-09, 12:10 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chrispy
People say it's pointless to get an alignment if you have air suspension. That isn't true at all. I get better tire life than some people on coilovers because my toe is in spec at my ride height. If you don't get it aligned your tires can be bald in 600 miles.
x's 2! camber wont kill tires like toe does. When I FIRST put my air on, I rode all the way down in the rear all the time.... tires were bald in 2 weeks! (DD)
Old 10-01-09, 12:14 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

After my first incident with over torquing, I never looked back and began using torque wrench, especially with heavier aftermarket rims. I was told (not sure how valid it is) that with heavier rims you should torque a bit more. I just do mine with a snug 80lb (snug meaning, 80lb and a little more)
Old 10-01-09, 12:14 AM
chrispy

Originally Posted by tom steele
i have mine alighned at were i driving height just set it before you go in but without rear rcas you will never get the rear camber right and as fr as ride it improved when i changed out the front top mounts to bring the bag higher in the front that made it so i could lower my pressure in the front to 45-50psi same in the rear. 70 is maxxed out so i don't know how anybody is getting there's to 90psi but the new front upper strut mount is key to the ride being right! and i would use a sport strut not stock the stock will blow out quick with the bags bottoming them out all struts are going to blow out over time but the cheap ones seem to go twice as fast.
True story, I have front and rear RCAs installed and it allows my toe to be in spec. This helps my tire life a lot. Can't wait to get my bags on the coilovers.
Old 10-01-09, 10:52 AM
tom steele
Lead Lap

hey you really need to get there new upper bag mounts this takes care of the bag rubbing here are some pics of the differences and as you can see the new mount makes the bag clear the control arms it a needed fix i would suggest it if you dont have them already seeing there cheaper than a replacement bag.
Attached Thumbnails How does your UAS ride?-front-strut-new-top-plate.jpg   How does your UAS ride?-top-bag-mount.jpg  
Old 10-01-09, 11:13 AM
chrispy

Tom, do you know if those new upper mounts can be used with coilovers?
Old 10-01-09, 11:21 AM
tom steele
Lead Lap

good question i don't know to be honest ill call and ask rich these i think are for the stock strut style since mine are just bilstein struts. you use to have to use the stock upper mount which put the bag in contact with the control arm this was there fix but it also helped with the ride because i can now run lower pressure in the front.