GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Switched to full-synthetic with 111K miles!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-09, 01:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
Usually not a good idea with high mileage engine. I switched to amsoil on my legend at 100K miles and leaks started after few thousand miles. Unless you drive hard there's no need for synthetics. Anyhow goodluck with that.

I got lucky. My previous legend with 150k miles had no leaks when I switched over to synthetic. I wouldn't do it again though. For normal driving, practically all the oil on the shelf you find nowadays are good enough. Hell we have 300k+ cars running around without running synthetics.
Old 10-02-09, 01:58 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jug of Mobile 1 5w30 + Mobile filter for 29.99 at my local autozone store! Now that's a steal!

Mobile 1 FTW. I have used it for 9 years....and never looked back!
Old 10-02-09, 02:10 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I got lucky. My previous legend with 150k miles had no leaks when I switched over to synthetic. I wouldn't do it again though. For normal driving, practically all the oil on the shelf you find nowadays are good enough. Hell we have 300k+ cars running around without running synthetics.
Yes it's a hit or miss kind of thing. Good to see a legend owner again if I remember correctly you own a white sedan correct? All of my cars have over 100K miles and I use valvoline maxlife and I have no complaint.
Old 10-02-09, 02:18 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

+1.. I have full synthetic on my sc400 and love it. Everything is smooth as silk. Have full synthetic on my auto trans as well and i don't feel it shifting as if its a 1speed automatic hehehehe
Old 10-02-09, 02:19 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by McKrevice
lol. First of all.

Reading Comprehension > You

Please re-read the post. I am comparing MY 10 year old Lexus to a Ferrari or a Porsche or a new Corvette. I never said ALL GS400's (meaning yours). I said MINE. I said junk because when I compare MY CAR to one of those high end, performance cars, that is what comes to mind.

And my argument is, if you take a car, that is 11 years old, and are getting picky about the oil....you're really splitting hairs here. It's already been stated. Mobile 1 is a great oil. You want to BEST OIL IN TEH WORLD! Go right ahead. Get something else.

And I'm sure you have the money to buy a brand new Lexus....good for you. Has nothing to do with this thread other than you bragging that you can IF you wanted to. Well Whoopty frickin doo. The room of care is down the hall.

P.S. I love my GS400. And I owned an M5 before this.
To be honest I saw NOTHING wrong with your FIRST post...it stated your thoughts, then your experiences followed up by what you recommend. It is the smart-a ss REPLY to another member (and that always seems to be the case with you) that pissed me off. Take a look at everyone's replies and comments...ok, done? Now, what did you find out? That all members except yourself came off rather positive throughout their entire post...you are miserable! I just went through some of your posts in some old threads and MANY think you have a crap attitude. Period! If you don't care for the atmosphere and/or people...leave. Simple as that. Re-read your reply to vwynn and tell me that there was nothing negative about it.

This is STRICTLY a principle thing...I don't know vwynn from a hole in the wall; it's just that THIS forum doesn't need negative people in it. Many don't stand up against situations like this because they don't want to cause waves; I'd like to think I speak on behalf of others.

I have nothing else to comment on this thread. Thanks to all that contributed. The objective of my thread was to simply show that if you have a high mileage GS it should be ok to switch to synthetic if you've been on the fence for a while about it. Whether it's worth it or not - that's another topic in another thread.

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 10-02-09 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-02-09, 02:32 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Glad you went to the synthetic side Rock...

Walmart has the 5qt mobil 1 for 22.00 pretty much all the time.. YOu can walk out of there under 30.00 with oil and filter..
+1 on buying the 5qt jugs than buying individual 1qt bottles. You save a little because of the so call "crv". You pay like 5cents extra on each one when you do it that way
Old 10-02-09, 02:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
Yes it's a hit or miss kind of thing. Good to see a legend owner again if I remember correctly you own a white sedan correct? All of my cars have over 100K miles and I use valvoline maxlife and I have no complaint.
I'm surprised someone even remembers! I had a Green legend that was modded until I got into an accident. I have a white legend in its place now
Old 10-02-09, 02:38 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
To be honest I saw NOTHING wrong with your FIRST post...it stated your thoughts, then your experiences followed up by what you recommend. It is the smart-a ss REPLY to another member (and that always seems to be the case with you) that pissed me off. Take a look at everyone's replies and comments...ok, done? Now, what did you find out? That all members except yourself came off rather positive throughout their entire post...you are miserable! I just went through some of your posts in some old threads and MANY think you have a crap attitude. Period! If you don't care for the atmosphere and/or people...leave. Simple as that. Re-read your reply to vwynn and tell me that there was nothing negative about it.
My cats breath smells like cat food.
Old 10-02-09, 10:13 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

I had a black 95 Legend and always used Mobil 1 with no leaks. Had it until the tranny stopped working and these cars are notoriously have over heating problem and tranny.
Old 10-05-09, 05:21 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I had a black 95 Legend and always used Mobil 1 with no leaks. Had it until the tranny stopped working and these cars are notoriously have over heating problem and tranny.
I had an Acura Legend too! A '92 4dr LS; it's so funny how many members have had these cars previously...there has to be at least a dozen or more members that had Acura Legends. Loved that car...as soon as she hit around 165K (I held onlto her for a LONG time) it started to overheat with the suspected blown headgasket. You are right when you say those cars are known for overheating.
Old 10-05-09, 06:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You gotta be careful when you say you have no leaks. While something like valve cover or oil pan leaks will be visible more or less right away, you wont spot a slow leak from cam seals, oil pump, crank seal or rear main seal right away. So just keep an eye on it.
Old 10-05-09, 07:33 AM
Nosferatu2
Driver

Im another Legend owner (91 ,94ka8) always run synthetic in my cars, not sure what i have in my car now since i got it 3 moths ago , but i will go with synthetic and i hope she will take it with no problems.
Old 10-05-09, 08:29 AM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it be better to do a engine flush before switching over to synpower
on a engine with high miles?

What about cheap oil and a bottle of prolong or motor up
Old 10-05-09, 09:41 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
i drain the return line cuz it flushed ALL the fluid out or at least 90-99% of it out.

also it saves me time doing this since i dont need to go back 2-3 times =p try it out!

if needed i can take pics when i do this.
never thought of doing it that way. pictures all always good, thanks

Tom? Sorry, my name is Phil.

Good God, seriously. I said my car. I didn't talk trash about anyone's car besides mine. Maybe my car is junk? Maybe it got busted in an accident? Maybe the trans went out prematurely? Maybe it vibrates at 70mph making this car a disgrace for the money is cost? Maybe...who give a crap? It's an opinion. My opinion about my car. Big deal. I fail to see what the problem is besides a bunch of people WAY too passionate about their cars, which is fine. Everyone needs to be passionate about something, but come on, everyone jumping on me when I call my car junk? Get real.
dunno where i got tom from and i was actually on your side except the rudeness to the others.

My cats breath smells like cat food.
http://a4.vox.com/6a00c225202d84f219...37446a47-320pi

Last edited by sakataj; 10-05-09 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-06-09, 08:38 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Switched to full-synthetic with 111K miles!