GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Installed a Pair of PIAA XTREME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-02, 04:08 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget about the side by side comparison shot of the SilverStars and PIAA Super Whites in the "Bright Lights" thread in Electronics, although, it is for the yellows.

EDIT: TX, did you take any pics with the Xtremes in your clear fogs? The Xtremes I've been shopping.....

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/piaa/bodymainpiaa.html

offer a color temp of 4150k, which shoudl be very close to OEM HID.

Do / did you have the same ones, or an older model?

Last edited by ///MDex; 04-25-02 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-25-02, 04:19 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I buy these silverstars online?

Last edited by CSHFLW; 04-25-02 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-25-02, 04:26 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by CSHFLW
Where can I buy these silverstars online?
I will sell you mine.......PM me
Old 04-25-02, 04:28 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Dex
Don't forget about the side by side comparison shot of the SilverStars and PIAA Super Whites in the "Bright Lights" thread in Electronics, although, it is for the yellows.

EDIT: TX, did you take any pics with the Xtremes in your clear fogs? The Xtremes I've been shopping.....

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/piaa/bodymainpiaa.html

offer a color temp of 4150k, which shoudl be very close to OEM HID.

Do / did you have the same ones, or an older model?
No pics DEX. I only installed the high beams (my clear fog lenses are in route) and based my judgement on them. Both their 9005 & 9006 bulbs are IDENTICAL save for the little tip on the 9006, so I didn't even want to waste my time or $$$ putting them in my fogs. I have a feeling the SilverStars will be more than adequite for my clear-fog application. Don't be fooled by PIAA's color claim! Those ******* appeared to be a brighter version of my halogen high-beams when I turned them on! :eek:
Old 04-25-02, 08:51 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it is worth, I have all these bulbs you are talking about. I should have originally gone with an aftermarket set of HIDs after all is said and done...but oh well, here goes.

I started with the PIAA Super white Platinum Bulb. It was an improvement in brightness and whiteness from stock. I then went to PIAA Xtreme white. These are slightly whiter than the Paltinum series and just as bright. I now have the Super Plasmas. IMO, the super plasmas are brighter than all bulbs mentioned earlier and give off a white light close to HID (when warm). The difference is you don't get the horizontal beam from the Super Plasmas that you get from the HID. I've compared the bulbs side by side in the GS and side by side with the HID on the SC. The Super Plasmas are gvery close to HID color when the HID is warm. When the HID first turns on, the color is very blue. Also a note: the PIAA Super Plasmas can fit a 9005 or a 9006 housing. You can imagine how bright they are if they are used for the high beams. IMO, the PIAAs are good quality lights and are DOT approved.

CSHFLW, the PIAA Super Plasmas are available in the US. Try www.autodynamic.com

Hope this helps.

MAC

Last edited by 0260n5.7; 04-25-02 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-26-02, 07:12 AM
eppan
Pole Position

Interesting article I came across. Check it out..it talks about the PIAA bulb...namely the SuperWhites.

http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/bulbs/superwhites/

Oh..I did go out and buy the SilverStar...I installed them on my headlights and moved the SuperWhite to the Fog lights....have to wait till tonight to see how they look.
Old 04-26-02, 02:30 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by eppan
Interesting article I came across. Check it out..it talks about the PIAA bulb...namely the SuperWhites.

http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/bulbs/superwhites/

Oh..I did go out and buy the SilverStar...I installed them on my headlights and moved the SuperWhite to the Fog lights....have to wait till tonight to see how they look.
That article is extremely insightful! A friend of mine who has installed true HID kits and toyed with just about every bulb out there has said basically the same thing this article says! And further, I am 100% convinced that anything above our stock 4000+ kelvin color scales (6000k, 8000k etc) in fact lessen the amount of light on the road!!!:eek: So needless to say, I will keep my factory HID bulbs & instasll my SIlverStars in the fogs and be done with this whole "Lighting" fiasco!
Old 04-26-02, 02:48 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

My man dont waste your loot on silverstars. I aquired 2 sets and gave one away and the other is sitting up in my crib. I have to say the PIAA 4150ks are a whole lot better. You can see the difference....Just to let you know.
Old 04-26-02, 02:58 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SandRock
My man dont waste your loot on silverstars. I aquired 2 sets and gave one away and the other is sitting up in my crib. I have to say the PIAA 4150ks are a whole lot better. You can see the difference....Just to let you know.
Unless someone has a pair of PIAA bulbs for what I paid for the Sylvania's (49.98 TOTAL!) My man, these SilverStars will have to do! And which PIAA model are you reffering to exactly? I've decided why spend $75 & up :eek: on a bulb that's going in my foglamp, especially if they are not giving me an extra $50 worth of light output........
Old 04-26-02, 04:08 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Hey guys, please forgive my ignorance. All these conversations about light bulbs for your car is because you car didn't come with the factory HID unit?
Sorry, I am just curious.......feel like I am missing something here among all these different light bulb topics.

Can someone please "ENLIGHT" me......
Old 04-26-02, 04:43 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eppan, that's a great site! Sandrock, how are PIAA 4150K or whatever better than Silver Stars? I've done a physical side-by-side comparison myself of PIAA's best bulbs and the Silver Stars. The brightness is the is the same, the color is the same, or maybe different by 150 kelvin, too small to decifer by the human eye. Furthermore, how are PIAA bulbs $50-100 BETTER? How are they 200-300% better than an Sylvannia bulb? Qualitywise Osram-Sylvannia and PIAA is like Mercedes and Kia. I see the claim that PIAA is better than Sylvannia as the most backward statement you can make in the matter.
Old 04-26-02, 05:14 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

has anyone here replaced their yellow day running lights with hyper lights?
Old 04-27-02, 07:11 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Originally posted by TXSTYLE

Unless someone has a pair of PIAA bulbs for what I paid for the Sylvania's (49.98 TOTAL!) My man, these SilverStars will have to do! And which PIAA model are you reffering to exactly? I've decided why spend $75 & up :eek: on a bulb that's going in my foglamp, especially if they are not giving me an extra $50 worth of light output........
These are the bulbs I was talking about.

http://www.xtremewhite.com/ORD-Light...08-1-1-1-1.cfm

I dont have factory HIDs and I did a side by side test on my own car and the PIAAs make the silvers look like factory bulbs. I am not an expert, this is my opinion. I really dont feel that strongly about the matter to debate about it. I was just trying to help TXSTYLE out.
Old 04-27-02, 07:34 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

lex400sc - By the way autolamps-online is butt. I ordered thier 9006 conversion kit. They sent me a letter I had to fax back to them. They put the country code for the US as a return fax. I used the one for England and I could not get it to go through. Thier disclaimer is shady. I got my money back. What do you think about that company anyway?
Old 04-27-02, 07:36 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

IF my post seems to not make sence its because I got bent last night and I am in recovery right now.

Quick Reply: Installed a Pair of PIAA XTREME!!!