GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Installed a Pair of PIAA XTREME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-02, 11:41 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Kajukenbo
Hey guys, please forgive my ignorance. All these conversations about light bulbs for your car is because you car didn't come with the factory HID unit?
Sorry, I am just curious.......feel like I am missing something here among all these different light bulb topics.

Can someone please "ENLIGHT" me......
If you 'carefully' read thru the entire thread, you will see that, me personally, I have factory HID w/ the factory yellow fogs (standard in this setup). I am switching to "CLEAR" fogs! And the debate/question is which 'aftermarket is the BEst? Foe me I should say "Best Bang For The Buck?" I'm not gonna fork over an additional $100-150 bucks for bulbs that only a 'Hawk' (Yes The Bird!) could only tell the difference between!!!

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 04-27-02 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-27-02, 11:53 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SandRock

These are the bulbs I was talking about.

http://www.xtremewhite.com/ORD-Light...08-1-1-1-1.cfm

I dont have factory HIDs and I did a side by side test on my own car and the PIAAs make the silvers look like factory bulbs. I am not an expert, this is my opinion. I really dont feel that strongly about the matter to debate about it. I was just trying to help TXSTYLE out.
And I truly appreciate it SandRock! No question about that! But listen, do you have those pictures of your side-byside comparo? And that site you listed has the exact same bulbs I installed in my high-beams, and they were yellow when compared to my HID's! :eek: :eek: :eek: Even though they have that slight blue tint....

Well now I'm trying to see what JAC JZS has for me. Apparently, he swears by the PIAA Super Plasmas as being the absolute closest to HID. And judging by this photo he sent, I'm impressed! But then again, this is for my fogs, and I have alot more other mods (bodykit & audio/video) that I have to be concerend with. This thread is however very informative in my book, as it allows different users with different bulb applications to express their opinions, and 'actual experience'!
Attached Thumbnails Installed a Pair of PIAA XTREME!!!-2121.jpg  
Old 04-27-02, 12:09 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superplasmas in my Supra
Attached Thumbnails Installed a Pair of PIAA XTREME!!!-frontbest1and25.jpg  
Old 04-27-02, 12:11 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by JAC JZS
Superplasmas in my Supra
Hmmm! Looks good! What is the cost for a set of 9006???
Old 04-27-02, 12:20 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, and thanks much thanks to Jac JZS for selling & sending me the drivers side fog lamp! Smooth, & effortless transaction! There's still some good honest people out there!

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 04-27-02 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-27-02, 12:21 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Default Another shot

TX, you can probably get them on Ebay for $65-$80. They retail for $80-$125.
Attached Thumbnails Installed a Pair of PIAA XTREME!!!-front-9.jpg  
Old 04-27-02, 12:24 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Another shot

Originally posted by JAC JZS
TX, you can probably get them on Ebay for $65-$80. They retail for $80-$125.
I'm gonna go ahead and stick with my SilerStars! I'm getting ready to install them now!
Old 04-27-02, 12:24 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
Oh, and thanks much thanks to Jac JZS for selling & sending me the drivers side fog lamp! Smooth, & effortless transaction! There's still some good honest people out there!
Thanks TX!
Old 04-27-02, 12:29 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

BTW, I bought those a while ago before Hella 7000k(blue) HID's were on Ebay for $350:eek: :eek: :eek:. I think you can guess which lights I will be buying from now on
Old 04-27-02, 09:22 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up Installed: Sylvania SilverStar!!!

So I now have my clears in along with the SilverStars, and I'm totally satisfied! The light is extremely 'white' no blueish or purpleish, just an intense white! And I don't mean the yellowish halogen either! I immediately noticed how well the road was lit up while I drove tonight for @ 15 miles or so. It would appear to me that my eyes (no glasses, perfect vision) could see major differences especially on the sides! So bottom line: these bulbs 'compliment' the Xenons/HID's very well. And in the end, that's all I wanted! I will post a pick as soon as I get my camera back form a relative I lent it to.
Old 04-28-02, 04:40 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TXSTYLE,

I'm glad you are happy with the Sylvanias. Good Choice.

Those are my cars in the pic you attached. The SC on the left has factory HID and Nokya 4150s in the fogs. The GS on the right has PIAA Super Plasma in the headlights and the fogs. Maybe it is my imagination but I feel I get more light out of the PIAAs. Maybe its because with both the headlights and foglights running aftermarket bulbs, I'm getting 220 total watts (55w each bulb). I do like the color of the Super Plasmas better than any other bulb I've tried.

MAC

Originally posted by TXSTYLE

And I truly appreciate it SandRock! No question about that! But listen, do you have those pictures of your side-byside comparo? And that site you listed has the exact same bulbs I installed in my high-beams, and they were yellow when compared to my HID's! :eek: :eek: :eek: Even though they have that slight blue tint....

Well now I'm trying to see what JAC JZS has for me. Apparently, he swears by the PIAA Super Plasmas as being the absolute closest to HID. And judging by this photo he sent, I'm impressed! But then again, this is for my fogs, and I have alot more other mods (bodykit & audio/video) that I have to be concerend with. This thread is however very informative in my book, as it allows different users with different bulb applications to express their opinions, and 'actual experience'!
Old 04-28-02, 10:15 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

Is it just me or is the wedge bulb in the inner housing where the high beam a pain in the butt to put in? i mean i could barely get my hands behind the housing where the bulb goes? is there an easier way?

Boris
Old 04-29-02, 09:38 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Sleepyboi
Is it just me or is the wedge bulb in the inner housing where the high beam a pain in the butt to put in? i mean i could barely get my hands behind the housing where the bulb goes? is there an easier way?

Boris
No sir, it is a pain!
Old 04-29-02, 11:21 AM
jinu117
Driver School Candidate

There is new bulb from PIAA (well in Japan at least)
PIAA Super Extreme White. Much better than extreme or Super plasma IMO.
However, nothing matches with HID.
Once the bulbs goes out, I will be getting aftermarket HID.