GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: What Mileage do you get doing 100% City driving?
0-10 MPG
2.94%
11-15 MPG
27.45%
16- 20 MPG
60.78%
I don't really drive City.
8.82%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

What the Heck more do I need to do for better Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 04:24 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are not alone homie, my mileage is like 12mpg also. I don't drive it much because I live close to my job but if I did I would have bought another civic to run around in (I bought a 2002 civic for my girl last week). The v8 is a lush ...it drinks gas like alcoholics drink liquor. I drive easy and it still drinks driving around town.
Old 10-07-09, 08:56 PM
austin7891
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i routinely get 20 mpg. 80% rural, 20% city. i WOT at least every 20 miles. also, i only fill 5-7 gallons at a time. no spare tire, no trunk lining, minimal extra weight. weight reduction! also, i have an exhaust, and did notice increase after i got it. cleaning my maf sensor and TB really helped idling.
Old 10-07-09, 09:34 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

20mpg in Indianapolis
16mpg in Chicago

they both are "city", but totally different. plus, as the temperature drops, so does mpg.
Old 10-08-09, 12:07 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

sakataj

I do try to keep her <2K rpms on the regular since ive got her.

ive also gotta do the timing belt to see how much of a difference that makes.
Old 10-08-09, 05:43 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my gs300 daily driven on nyc streets as well gets about 240-245 right when the light turns on. so im guessing to empty 270-290? and thats 90% city driving
Old 10-08-09, 06:33 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude, we live in a very congested city. There is nothing you can do about that. I've spent weeks in queens at a time, and just there my mileage got to 280 to the tank. Brooklyn, I get 225 miles to the tank, max. I don't have a light foot either. Once i get on the highway, forget about it. I can get close to if not more than 380 miles to the tank. Your are pretty much stuck here and will not get much better mileage. You will not win in BK.
Old 10-08-09, 07:21 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

lol damn thanks for puttin it bluntly. I mean when I had my LS i was gettin similar mileage. and most dudes from my lexus crew was gettin about 10-12 mpg... i thought it was just because of the age and mileage on the engine that was contributing to the low mileage... and on top of that, the mileages that many members were saying that they got while driving in the city. i thought something was wrong with my car.

driving an 8 in nyc is no games. my brother with an 04 ls430's mpg computer
is saying that he gets 12.4 mpg....

but it DOES seem that my pops' LS is pretty good on gas. his needle barely moves.
Old 10-08-09, 08:53 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

At 70,000 miles on my 1998 GS300, I used Auto-rx as oil treatment. Also combined with Redline FI cleaner just prior to 74k oil change (which I do every oil change). Currently 1500 into "rinse" phase.
Seems to have increased my range from ~310->330 miles/tank on my same mixed highway/city commute over 14gallon fillup (only recently has this started, around the 500mile into rinse phase). So that's 5-10% increase which is huge increase in efficiency. Of course this could also just be differentiation due to summer/winter gas.

If you've really already tried everything else, you can give this a try. It is extremely slow process, and may take you year or longer to complete so you have to be patient, and of course there is a chance it will have no effect.
However, even though my car has gotten regular 6mo or ~4k mile oil changes for 10years, autorx seemed to have a positive effect for me.

But if you noticed, despite all this hard work, the easiest way to save those 20miles/tank is instead plan or find a way to avoid driving the 20miles .

Last edited by raytseng; 10-08-09 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-08-09, 09:17 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

You live in a very congested city with tons of braking/stopping, your not going to get good gas mileage and will get well below the avg city rating. Constant stop, braking, and go driving kills your gas mileage no matter how well your car is running. Your car never gets a chance to warm up to optimal running temperature when you drive in a city like Brooklyn so it is never operating efficiently plus you are constantly braking, accelerating, and stopping. Try taking your car out of the city for a while and driving on the highway if you can. If your car then gets 21mpg or over mostly on the highway it is running fine and it is the city that is killing your gas mileage. There is a huge difference in gas mileage in the city compared to the highway. I got 28, 27 and 26mpg in my GS430 on a vacation trip over the summer of all highway driving with my car loaded with luggage compared to 16-18mpg I normally get with more stop and go driving where I live. I was able to achieve those numbers by using cruise control, driving around 65 instead of 80, shutting AC off as much as possible, over inflating tires, coasting when possible.

The main things you can do for better gas mileage are
-Over inflating your tires-try 36 or 37 psi instead of 33. Very important
-Cleaning MAF sensor
-Cleaning Throttle body
-Fuel system treatment
-Synthetic Oil Change
-Clean air filter
-Get unneeded weight out of car, do you have big aftermarket rims-they will hurt fuel economy.
-New spark plugs if needed, may need to get fuel injectors cleaned more then a fuel system treatment can do, general tuneup.
-Driving habits-lighter acceleration, coast when you can, drive slower, don't brake as hard, allow car to warm up to optimal temp, shutting off AC, etc.

If you have done all or most of these things and mileage is still bad it is where you live and the city driving that is killing fuel economy, even a 4 or 6 cylinder won't get good fuel economy in constant stop, brake, and go driving in a city like Brooklyn while the car is not warmed up to optimal running temp.
Old 10-08-09, 01:09 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by kosi718
sakataj

I do try to keep her <2K rpms on the regular since ive got her.

ive also gotta do the timing belt to see how much of a difference that makes.
well as i said....try cleaning intake and throttle body made a huge difference for me.
Old 10-08-09, 02:33 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not just you.. I get about 13-16 mpg when in NYC... and thats being very light on the pedal... driving to Stony Brook I average about 17-19 if there isn't too much traffic... however driving to boston i get close to 25mpg... I do coast a lot though.. probably not too good for my tranny but eh...
Old 10-08-09, 06:17 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

ill try all of those suggestions so that I can atleast get > 250 miles per tank
50 miles extra is a whooole lot better than 195 miles.

you know now I think about it, with my OLD LS400 I was getting terrible gas mileage in the city, but when I made an out of state run, ive gotten 29-30 MPG

granted ive done everything that you guys have suggested that I do on my current car,

clean throttle body, tune up timing belt, w/p, changed coolant temp sensor,
using A/C off and on, ETC,

I guess my gripe was that I naturally expected to get better fuel efficiency with the newer car in the city....

I wonder how much the new V8s get in the city? like the 460? and I mean NYC
I really do wonder what the hell types of cities they tested these cars to get the EPA estimate they got with these cars.
Old 10-13-09, 05:56 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! ! After reading all of this, Im happy to say I get at least 325 to 340 per tankful. Thats with the Low Fuel light being lit for awhile. I have a GS4 with SRT intake too. That is usually combined city and freeway driving.

There are many variables that can affect your gas mileage. Hell, temp and location can vary it. I try to stick with the same brand of gas station and maybe location too. The less variables you have, the easier it is to pinpoint. Im **** with keeping my tire pressures correct so I check it with a Moroso dial type gauge every couple fuel fills. I always reset my Trip A everytime I fill up so I know my average. I dont hotdog it at every light, but I do kick it down every now and then to pass traffic or merge onto the freeway.

Cold weather usually affects gas mileage more because the tires lose pressure, the lubricants are thicker upon warm up, and the ECU injects more fuel for the more cold dense air. I still get 320+ per tankful with my GS4 with SRT intake and its been in the 30's and 40's lately here in Minnesota.
Old 10-13-09, 06:36 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try some 2 stroke synthetic oil in the gas tank.

you guys know I test constantly and oil/tribology is my thing so here goes. I know the gasoline today is ****. Very dry and poor quality. Throw in ethanol and you got crap/corrosive gasoline. I use Fuel Power/Lucas UCL with great success in my cars and other peoples cars. At the first of the year some of us "lubrication physcho's" (mainly from the aircraft industry) discussed the **** quality of gasoline and the absolute advantages of running a fuel additive with lubrication capabilities and I think the testing is now complete and the results are very good. Biggest problem we had was the proper amount but we are now satisfied this works very well and you will have a smoother running engine/more power/better MPG....so here it is.....
What we are trying to accomplish ( The deliverables)
We need to lubricate the fuel pump/seals/injectors.
We need to clean the fuel system and scavenge water that ethanol attracts.
We need a film of protection in our fuel system to stop corrosion.
We need a cleaner for our spark plugs/valves/combustion chambers.
We need to clean the ring packs
We need to leave a film on the cylinder walls to eliminate cold start metal wear.
This was my groups short list of deliverables. Of course we knew if we accomplished this list the car should A) Run Smoother B) Run more efficiently C) Parts will last longer i.e. fuel pumps/injectors etc. D) We should see more RWHP and MPG
We did it. For pennies.
2 Stroke oil. Not just any two stroke oil But we needed the detergents etc. and found the perfect oil/add packs/viscosity in a marine 2 stroke oil you can get for under $10 bucks a gallon anywhere. We used Pennzoil Marine 2 stroke for our testing. Here is the "blurb" from Pennzoil.....
------------------------------------------------------------
Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic
Ultimate Protection

Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil is designed for your hard-working, large displacement, high-horsepower 2-cycle engine. High temperature protection is necessary for higher horsepower engines. High temperatures in an engine can cause loss of lubrication, carbon deposits, piston-scuffing, and pre-ignition. The combination of synthetic ester base oils and a premium, ashless performance package in Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil provides protection for high horsepower applications that require approved NMMA TC-W3® oil.
Benefits:
Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil is recommended for use in those makes and models of water-cooled, 2-cycle engines with direct injection systems, oil injection systems or those requiring use of a pre-mix. It is recommended for and meets the warranty requirements of Johnson/Evinrude, Mercury Marine, Yamaha, Suzuki, Force/US Marine, Mariner and others requiring NMMA TC-W3® oils.

Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil:

* Performs in extreme conditions.
* Provides excellent lubricity to protect against piston- and cylinder-scuffing.
* Helps protect against ring sticking, exhaust port deposits, and spark plug fouling.
* Biodegradable and low aquatic toxicity.
* Recommended for direct injection engines.

Whether running full throttle to open water for that fishing tournament, cruising your favorite waterway, pulling a skier or racing you need an oil to protect your high-horsepower engine. Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil is that oil.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Use 1oz of the two stroke oil per 5 gallons of gas ( 1oz-5gallons/ 2ozs - 10 gallons etc. and that is the perfect ratio. Too much and it will make your engine run worse....too little and it wont do anything.....use the proper amount.....get a little bottle and keep it in your car.....We have seen a maximum of 5% better MPG down to a minimum of 2% better MPG. All of our test mules reported much smoother idles and cruising. No smoking or ill effects. No residue on plugs our pistons....actually the opposite....we saw "cleaning".....I am now comfortable recommending this for all. I also now run this mixture in my GTO/Mercedes/Silverado and G6 with all having smoother running motors and all gaining MPG. Give it a try and let me know your experience. Follow the mixture ratio to the letter. 1 oz per 5 gallons of gas.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206
Old 10-13-09, 08:41 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

wow thats just crazy. and a lot.... ill read up more on it in a little while.

Quick Reply: What the Heck more do I need to do for better Gas Mileage?