GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Has anyone ever changed their coolant temp. sensor? (GS400)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-09, 02:15 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I took GS in for a coolant flush at the Lexus dealer yesterday. I asked if this sensor needs replacing over time? I was told as long as Toyota Long Life coolant is utilized and the cooling system is not contaminated with tap water, the sensor should never need replacing..

I've only use Toyota Long Life & never put tap water in my coolant resovoir, so I am good to go
Old 10-11-09, 04:30 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

I did stated this.
Old 10-13-09, 05:20 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see both sides of this.....There are some people choose not to replace it if its not broke or "completely accurate". And there are some people who read about others experiences of the improvement and decide to change it.

The part in question is fairly cheap and easy to replace. If your car is older or has higher miles, its not a bad idea to do so. Reading this thread has prompted me to look into changing mine. But that's just me. My Lex is my baby. If this was talking about my Dodge Caravan, I could give a hoots *** about it.....LOL.

Both SK and GS4Fiend have valid points. The main thing here is Im glad this info is here. Whoever reads this can decide if they should or should not replace theirs based on what was presented on both sides.

Discussions like this is what makes these forums informative...
Old 10-13-09, 11:13 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The people who say not to change it have little facts to go on why not to . Those of us who understand how it works and like all parts will no longer be within tolerances but still work change it. Once changed not one person has ever said it was not an improvement in the way the engine responds. Just like a maf it does go bad.

I agree with discussions but bring facts and not hear say to the table otherwise it is worthless and makes people thing you know what you are talking about when you are only guessing.
Old 10-14-09, 10:08 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so if there's facts...I'd love to see some dyno #'s for those seeing the benefits. All I've seen thus far is "butt dyno" it "feels" better. "feeling more crisp" is an opinion not a fact. If I were to actually see FACTS this would definately be worth replacing.
Old 10-14-09, 11:24 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
so if there's facts...I'd love to see some dyno #'s for those seeing the benefits. All I've seen thus far is "butt dyno" it "feels" better. "feeling more crisp" is an opinion not a fact. If I were to actually see FACTS this would definately be worth replacing.
Agreed! But for me it was a little different...I change certain items out even if I know they are not completely broken just because "I" feel it will increase the longevity of my vehicle.

For example, I was getting a CL code a while back PO171 which most of the time points to a bad O2 sensor. I figured while I replace one why not replace them all (as long as I can find them way cheaper than the dealer costs). If I couldn't find them cheaper then I would just by the one (problematic O2). The reason why I replaced all is because they "wear out" over time resulting in the car not being "as efficient" as it once was whithout throwing a CEL. A CEL is thrown only when parameters are way off; it could be right on that line for a while which could cause damage to other engine components during that time.

If the two "cat" O2 sensors are "getting there" it could prematurely destroy your cats over a couple of years. So, since I found all the O2 sensors rather cheap ($90/ea - all new Denso OEM's), I replaced them all since I don't want any issues with my cats down the road...especially since it's my DD and I am planning on keeping the car for at least another 2 years.
Old 10-14-09, 12:30 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

The oxygen sensor is a good example of to be changed or not to. It is not a priority sensor. But over time these sensor will become contaminated. So it will need to be changed over time. If the sensor becomes lazy switching, the car will run like crap. If it is running fine then you don't have to change.
Old 10-14-09, 01:09 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont think the dyno would show an increase in HP or anything like that.

i think the car would just be running better (acceleration wise and more responsiveness) compared to when they first purchased the car. or even when it was brand new.
Old 10-15-09, 12:11 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

read sarcastically !

Hmm $80 to dyno the car to prove to someone who i don't know and is clueless to how it works or $50 and buy the sensor and change it in 20 minutes. That's such a difficult proposition to answer.
I have made my points , if you are not interested that is your own problem not mine .
If it works and you think that is sufficient to say it does not need replacing who am i to argue the laws of physics . It is only wax inside it but you knew that already before i told you. Its properties will never change (will they , do you even know how it works or is it just magical with pixie dust inside) .
Old 10-15-09, 07:21 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

again...how about facts...not opinions. Manufactures set guidlines and specs for a reason. Unless you have facts or actually design for a manufacture, who would we believe? You go on here and call people out that "don't know anything" and to "prove facts" yet, you have only opinions on the "seat of your butt feeling". You want to get sarcastic, I've got a Tornado for your intake... follows your law of physics and cost just around $50? I'm telling you, YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE! no dyno needed! cause its only $50 and $80 to dyno isn't worth proving me wrong.
Old 10-15-09, 01:13 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

uh i didnt wanna start a debate between any of you

I was just suggesting that we all try it, just off the strength of what an overwhelming majority of the members in the LS forum were saying and experiencing..

I didnt ask for this to be a scientific study and bring back all these results ETC... in the first thread dealing with this (LS forum) there wasnt all of this proving facts talk. it was either try it or not.

there is a lot of objection to this here so... its simple as this.... if anyone doesnt wanna do it, dont. and if they dont wanna do it, dont force em to.

all I know is at the end of the day im gonna try it again because I had success with my LS when I changed it. its up to yall to do it or not.
Old 10-15-09, 04:39 PM
qgoat
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kosi718
uh i didnt wanna start a debate between any of you

I was just suggesting that we all try it, just off the strength of what an overwhelming majority of the members in the LS forum were saying and experiencing..

I didnt ask for this to be a scientific study and bring back all these results ETC... in the first thread dealing with this (LS forum) there wasnt all of this proving facts talk. it was either try it or not.

there is a lot of objection to this here so... its simple as this.... if anyone doesnt wanna do it, dont. and if they dont wanna do it, dont force em to.

all I know is at the end of the day im gonna try it again because I had success with my LS when I changed it. its up to yall to do it or not.
PLease let us know if it helps. I am definately willing to try this if there is any improvement at all
Old 10-15-09, 05:41 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I look at this discussion, I see no motive for SKperformance to sell anything of his. He just stated what these sensors consist of and how the Wax can become inefficient over time.

Now if he were trying to push some product on here or get people come to his shop to replace this sensor.....I can see his motive.

It all boils down to if the owner wants to replace theirs or not. Some people change their oil at 3k intervals. Some do it at 2.5k. Its all a matter of preference. For me, if I see more and more feedback from those who tried this and "felt" like they gained better results.....Id probaby go for it and change mine. Having dyno numbers and such would be good, but no one's going to donate the time or money to prove this thread any different.

Since Im mechanically inclined and dont have to pay someone else to swap out this sensor....I may just do it. The sensor doesnt seem too costly. If I put it in and see no major results? Well, no biggie. I like working on my car. I would post my results on here, but Im not going to be mad that I didnt see any improvements. At least I know that sensor is good for a bunch more miles.

Again, I dont see this as anyone being more right than the other. I see this thread as being a display of experiences, opinions, and discussions. With those in mind, people can keep reading and make their decisions from what has been presented.
Old 10-15-09, 05:54 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Good post Tonyhc. I just want to clear something up. I am not against changing this sensor, nor do I really need a dyno to change my mind. SKperformance started posting like he was looking down on others because they disagreed, yet his post about having facts contradicts himself...cause he has no facts backing up the need to replace the sensor.
Old 10-15-09, 08:18 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

TonyHC, very well said. I do agree with speedaddic. I posted my opinion and SKperformance was all over me. No offense. But it's true. People talk from experience and just expressing their opinions. Opinions are never wrong because it is not based on a fact. Arguing and proving people wrong is not nice. This is a forum. To do or not to do is one's choice. It's good to know that you have experience, but don't be a jerk. Overall, let's be nice.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever changed their coolant temp. sensor? (GS400)