GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Has anyone ever changed their coolant temp. sensor? (GS400)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 09:29 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very true , change it if you want .
The changing of the sensor has never been a debate by anyone who changed it.
BTW almost every single Toyota for the past 15 years has used the exact same sensor for temp. If temps didn't make a difference why would they make thermostats and rad caps that only change a few degrees ?

I was actually thinking the same thing about changing oil or what oil to use. It is all a matter of prefernce.
I am no off the street guy who wrenches on the weekend for kicks.
I custom build and fabricate as well as work with performance companies to build products including with Toyota Canada reps. I am a college trained technician get it straight ! You want to debate with me you better bring your A game not this nacy buisness.
I can't stand the childish attitude people get when they want top feel big and prove someone wrong but don't know what the hell they are talking about .

I am nice when someone agrees they don't know and wants to know more ,then takes the information and learns from it . Not ask for more and then try and be negative to knock it but can't say why. That is the whole reason for my aggressiveness against the previous posts.

Anyway , I have proved my points well it is just annoying to keep replying.
Remember this started getting negative when gs4 mentioned that using a scan tool would be able to tell you if it was working properly. He still has not been able to admit he was wrong and didn't know what he was talking about since it is impossible to do with an invalid reading sensor which is the point !
Old 10-16-09, 12:06 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
Very true , change it if you want .
The changing of the sensor has never been a debate by anyone who changed it.
BTW almost every single Toyota for the past 15 years has used the exact same sensor for temp. If temps didn't make a difference why would they make thermostats and rad caps that only change a few degrees ?

I was actually thinking the same thing about changing oil or what oil to use. It is all a matter of prefernce.
I am no off the street guy who wrenches on the weekend for kicks.
I custom build and fabricate as well as work with performance companies to build products including with Toyota Canada reps. I am a college trained technician get it straight ! You want to debate with me you better bring your A game not this nacy buisness.
I can't stand the childish attitude people get when they want top feel big and prove someone wrong but don't know what the hell they are talking about .

I am nice when someone agrees they don't know and wants to know more ,then takes the information and learns from it . Not ask for more and then try and be negative to knock it but can't say why. That is the whole reason for my aggressiveness against the previous posts.

Anyway , I have proved my points well it is just annoying to keep replying.
Remember this started getting negative when gs4 mentioned that using a scan tool would be able to tell you if it was working properly. He still has not been able to admit he was wrong and didn't know what he was talking about since it is impossible to do with an invalid reading sensor which is the point !
You can check the ECT sensor by using a scanner and a pyrometer and check the difference. It's not the most accurate way of checking but that is "another" way to check it. Your way like you stated would be the most accurate. Put the sensor in boiling water and measure the resistance. I agree. But you are saying that there is no way to check the sensor on a scanner. I did state on this thread you could check it with a scanner and a temperature gun (pyrometer). If you are a college trained mechanic as you state. If you open your A8 book, it should show ways to test the sensor. And using a scanner and a pyrometer is one of it. So, I had justified my point. I never said you were wrong and your way is the most accurate. I was just giving an alternative way. Not trying to be a jerk. But you did ask me to back up my words so I did. Peace.
Old 10-16-09, 12:49 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

You just won't give up and admit your wrong and had a good guess but a flawed one at testing .
You say it is not the best it is not even a valid way of testing it . You know your wrong and keep finding ways to say well if it is dark outside then the sky is not always blue.

So just to egg you on and let you see the flaws of your thinking . So where are you going to stick the pyro probe then .

You can't stick it in the res as it is too far away from the sensor. Is there another opening somewhere closer you can find a hole for it to fit ? The bleeder screw , too small.

So no there isn't and you have no clue what you are talking about.
So you can't get a calibrated way to test the sensor unless you remove it from the car which by the time you do you might as well change it.

BTW I am a tech not a mechanic and you did not justify anything other than you are talking out from the same place the pyro does ( because you just won't let it go).
Old 10-16-09, 02:06 AM
TonyHC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think GS4Fiend is referring to using an Infrared Pryometer, which requires no probe or physical contact to measure temps. I have one of those infrared pyrometers that I use to check my brake and tire temps when doing HPDE's at Brainerd or Mid-America Speedway.

Great tool to have in your toolbox!
Old 10-16-09, 08:25 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sooo.... uhhh... im guessing even if I DID change the sensor and told you guys it made an improvement, it wouldn't mean anything huh....
Old 10-16-09, 08:49 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nothing....
Old 10-16-09, 09:36 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Stop being a donkey and open your book and have look of that test procedure. If you sAy I'm wrong you are saying the book is wrong. Stop acting like you know everything and claiming you are a trained college student. Be mature would you. Why are you tAlking smack when I didn't talk crap about u. Are u tryin to be conceited on a forum like this?!

TrAined tech doesn't even know what an infrared pyrometer gun is lol. What a joke!

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 10-16-09 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-16-09, 01:50 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes...sounding very conceited...

"I'm not a weekend mechanic" comment made me chuckle. I am a hot rodder and have a 39 Chevy, I can tell you the "weekend mechanic" boys over at those forums would love to hear you know more about them because you're a "college trained" tech. I've hired "college trained" techs at my bodyshop and boy....there's a huge difference between book trained and hands on. I'm not saying you're not well educated, I'm just saying because you're "college trained" doesn't mean you know more than us "weekend mechanics". Built stuff for Toyota? cool! So have we. We build SEMA cars every year and fabricate lots of cool stuff...does that mean we know more than you? Of course not. Let's just try to share info and not try to act like we're better than others.
Old 10-17-09, 12:01 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

I agree with what you are saying speed and that is so true . I should have put i am not "JUST" a weekend mechanic . Me mentioning education was a "show of feathers" so my posts would be taken with the noted background . School doesn't amount to much for a technical career if the person has little aptitude in dynamics .

LMMFAO @ GSfiend no book on the planet tells you to use a laser gun to test for calibrated coolant temps.
So the book says to plug in the break out box and see what the temp registers with as a test procedure for calibration . You know your lying/guessing , otherwise prove it with your Lexus GS manual showing the procedure. I made this point already ,what makes it such a thick point to get.

With the rest of BS your talking it must be an X-ray vision one ( like superman )one to be able to get inside the coolant passages to test that section because a laser one only will register the temp on the outside of the metal. Not the internal temp where the sensor actually is.

Yah i don't know what a laser gun is , I guess i should just return the one i have . I was giving you the benefit of the doubt to have some real knowledge that it would have to be a physical probe test pyro (thermal soak test) and not a laser (point in time) one . You once again went and put your foot in your mouth proving you don't know what your talking about.

I know it comes off like i am being harsh because i am , people need to stop trying to think they know more than anyone and can tell them what is right and wrong . The internet and forums in general are rife with kids with a bit of knowledge trying think they know everything and don't know squat. This in turn becomes an infection with other thinking they learned something but it is totally wrong . Much like this scanner way to test if a variable sensor is calibrated .So unfortunately GSfiend is the one on the end of this stick . He still can't prove his theory and won't give up that he is wrong for even mentioning it because it doesn't work not because it is different form my opinion.
Old 10-17-09, 08:55 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.amazon.com/Todays-Technic.../dp/0766848647

I don't know which A8 book you got but mines does show it.

There are many ways to find out if the ECT is working efficiently or not. Here are a few:
-take a long time to warm up
-wiggle test
-check to see if the ECT and IAT are within their suppose to range ( with scanner)
-checking to see if the vehicle is in closed loop (with scanner)
-overall if the ECT was bad enough, you car would run poorly no doubt.
-a bad ECT would cause poor performance, car would be running in rich mode, you would see black smoke, could even kill your cats and o2.
But those type of problems I just listed, would happen to old cars. Our cars doesn't get problems like these. Even if did, probably 2 out of 10 cars. So if you say it's necessary to change the ECT sensor every 100k, I say not. As long you are using long life coolant with proper dilution you don't need to change the sensor. As someone stated even the lexus dealer said you never change the ECT sensor on these cars. I've seen our cars with 200k and it still runs fine without changing the ECT. The things that does go bad later would be the o2 sensors and the cats.

It's been a long time I haven't touch the books. So I have forgotten most and remembered only some. Finished college like 5 years ago so can't really debate much. Not going to debate no more. Go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back because you need it.

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 10-17-09 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-18-09, 02:09 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance

I know it comes off like i am being harsh because i am , people need to stop trying to think they know more than anyone and can tell them what is right and wrong . The internet and forums in general are rife with kids with a bit of knowledge trying think they know everything and don't know squat. This in turn becomes an infection with other thinking they learned something but it is totally wrong.

I had to quote this from SK because I see this on the Honda forums. My business used to swap a lot of Hondas/Acuras and I used to frequent Honda-Tech often, but dont because of the reasons that SK mentioned above.

I saw a lot of kids spreading incorrect info with little or no experience or explaination to back what they said up. I was SICK of correcting all the misinformation and realized that it will always exist on the internet. Plus, I was doing it out of charity and not getting paid for the knowledge that I have gained from experience and trade school.

Im on this Lexus forum because I love cars and Ive owned a couple GS3's and now a GS4. This forum seems to have less of the BS and immaturity that I see on the Honda forums. I still love my Prelude and Type R swapped CRX. I road race at Brainerd and Mid-America Motorplex. My Lexus is my daily driver and crusier.

Either way, I find most of the discussions on here informative and on a higher level than what Ive witnessed on the Honda/Acura forums.

Ive enjoyed reading the discussion between GSFiend and SK, whether it be heated or not. You guys still respond with better substance than some of the crap Ive seen before on other forums.....LOL.
Old 10-19-09, 12:10 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
http://www.amazon.com/Todays-Technic.../dp/0766848647

I don't know which A8 book you got but mines does show it.

There are many ways to find out if the ECT is working efficiently or not. Here are a few:
-take a long time to warm up
-wiggle test
-check to see if the ECT and IAT are within their suppose to range ( with scanner)
-checking to see if the vehicle is in closed loop (with scanner)
-overall if the ECT was bad enough, you car would run poorly no doubt.
-a bad ECT would cause poor performance, car would be running in rich mode, you would see black smoke, could even kill your cats and o2.
But those type of problems I just listed, would happen to old cars. Our cars doesn't get problems like these. Even if did, probably 2 out of 10 cars. So if you say it's necessary to change the ECT sensor every 100k, I say not. As long you are using long life coolant with proper dilution you don't need to change the sensor. As someone stated even the lexus dealer said you never change the ECT sensor on these cars. I've seen our cars with 200k and it still runs fine without changing the ECT. The things that does go bad later would be the o2 sensors and the cats.

It's been a long time I haven't touch the books. So I have forgotten most and remembered only some. Finished college like 5 years ago so can't really debate much. Not going to debate no more. Go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back because you need it.
And you still keep going.
We are talking about testing the calibration of a sensor . Do you understand what calibration means? To be able to verify if the results being given are correct.
What is a wiggle test , to check for a short or open connection.
If you would only think rationally and realize all of what said above is pointless to the original discussion .
WE ARE TALKING CALIBRATION , NOT IF IT IS WORKING , WE ALREADY KNEW THAT IT IS , ARE YOU CLUELESS ?

You say not to change it because someone asked a guy in a dealer if it needs to be changed. Imagine if we all listened to your type of rational. We all would use base stock dyno oils , never synthetics ,HID's , LED's , add turbo's or wheels or even be on this site because the dealer knows best .

Just because you can copy some info on the internet and post it does not mean you learned or even understood what you wrote . You are one stubborn mule. Just like a mule your going keep getting kicked until you move on . I look forward to this thread and the way you can make nonsense make any sense to you. I have no clue what an A8 book is and you must think it very special , SINCE YOUR HOLDING ON TO ITS WORDS FOR DEAR LIFE . Luckily i had about 22 different books a semester when i was in college ,uuummmm about 15 years ago . None of them i would take over the knowledge gained from experiance , i wish you would get some .

I know what your are saying Tony , which is why this thread keeps going with people clicking on just to see what has been said today . Everyone loves a train wreck , just can't stop looking.

Most here may not know my screen name in the GS section but on other sections I am well known and do not post for the sake of upping my post counter . I also don't post unless i know i am right which is why i keep getting member pm's to help them so they don't have to waste time with moronic answers of who should i believe . Try this in the LS section and everyone will cut you down to size .

One more edit , notice i have been here since 02 ,which is only because the site changed formats then since the original message board style in 99 .I also bought my first Lexus (ES) in 97 as well as having a LS400 and a GS430 . As well as being a manager on Lexusownersclub . So again I just might know a little more than you might be guessing .

Last edited by skperformance; 10-19-09 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-19-09, 12:44 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

What is your problem dude? You asked me where did I get my information from and I showed you which book I got it from. If you are a auto technician, you should know what A8 is. A8 is Engine Performance. ASE classifies it as that. You are talking about calibration but I am not. I'm talking about how to check it and you are talking about the calibration. We are not on the same page that why we were arguing. And seriously, you do sound like a stuck up donkey.

Just because I said something that you never heard of doesn't mean I clueless.

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 10-19-09 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-19-09, 01:07 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

My problem ?
You can't read and what you read does not click in your head.
You got ***** to call anyone a donkey when you can't understand what calibration means. I said it 10 times in this thread . Who the hell asked if it worked or not, we all knew it worked but you ,I guess (see i can admit when i do guess ) . Call me all the names you like I still know what i am talking about and when to shut up .
We are not on the same page that why we were arguing
There is no WE it is only you not being on the same page as this thread from the beginning . Again nice way to say i was not sure so that is why i say use a scanner instead of finally manning up and saying
YES ! I AM WRONG YOU CANNOT TELL IF A SENSOR IS RIGHT BY USING A SCANNER .
Hopefully next time someone says you are not making sense you come with a little humbleness and someone might just teach you instead of racking you over the coals .
Old 10-19-09, 01:13 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

If the ECT sensor is bad (high resistance) it will not go into closed loop.

You claim you are an auto tech and you don't know what A8 is?

Like I said, you asked me where did I get my information from and it's from that book. It's an ASE certified book and you are saying it's wrong? Why do you still go on?

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 10-19-09 at 01:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever changed their coolant temp. sensor? (GS400)