GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

400/430 diy (cheap a$$) cai.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-09, 12:38 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
I am not 19 either bro, I am 23, so if your going to accuse, get your facts straight first. My parents didn't hand me my Lexus, nor did they buy me my ****. I paid $13.9k for it with 89k, from a 19 year old kid in Woodbury, MN. I pay a little less than $1k in insurance every 6 months. I am manager at a local IT company and a full time student in business school. After receiving my 2 year associates degree in auto service, specializing in Toyota, I decided I wanted to make more money than just having to fill my tank. I only bought the car because he was dreading the 90k. I honestly love the car, so I bought the car, did the service and now I have put almost 50k miles on it. I dont own, but also invest in 3 other cars. A LS400 I rebuilt, a 64' Ford Falcon with a 5.0 V8, and a 62' Vette, so it's not like I'm rolling in the dough, I'm jsut spread all sorts of ways, and am not one to just shell out $300 for something that could possibly be made for a little cheaper. Anything else?
19,23 same difference. im over it dude. u started in with me not vice versa. now let it go
Old 10-21-09, 05:54 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

glad you have a good sense of humor! I still laugh when I click on this thread....

look! just did it again!! LOL LOL LOL
Old 10-22-09, 12:15 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i did the Ruber band Mod! but my VSC / VSCoff light stayed on!

best thread ever
Old 11-03-09, 10:48 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bringing back an old thread... Trying to make you guys laugh. Far from perfect, but I got bored with College football, and visited my 13 year old friend's sheet metal shop, you know us teenagers.........

It's my first one, I know it's not the cleanest, I did it for free, no welding, in about 2 hours. I know it needs a little work, but I have moved on to a custom MAF housing so I could mount a cone filter to the plastic intake. Thanks for coming by, as always love the feedback, unless your trying up your post count, you know who you are....
Old 11-03-09, 11:45 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Just bringing back an old thread... Trying to make you guys laugh. Far from perfect, but I got bored with College football, and visited my 13 year old friend's sheet metal shop, you know us teenagers.........

It's my first one, I know it's not the cleanest, I did it for free, no welding, in about 2 hours. I know it needs a little work, but I have moved on to a custom MAF housing so I could mount a cone filter to the plastic intake. Thanks for coming by, as always love the feedback, unless your trying up your post count, you know who you are....
i still REALLY hate this idea....but i will say this. IF you powder coated or painted that surrounding black it would look 100% better. I PERSONALLY still would NEVER do this
Old 11-03-09, 12:37 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by igotboost
lol..this is the cheapest **** I've ever seen.

All you need to do is get:

1. Ebay filter with metal shroud protector $30.00
2. Rubber pipe/hose connectors i.e. silicone hose connectors they sell @ lowe's $15.00
3. Couple of PVC elbow connectors $5.00
4. Adjustable clamps $5.00 for an assorted pack

So for $55.00 give or take you'll have a 'proven' increase in power.
Yeah, I know, hense the name cheap assssss CAI... I do understand what you have posted above, but I can seriously fab my own intake... As I already have a filter, I just need to adapt the MAF housing to the pipe, and I believe 2 vacuum intake hose connections and it's done, I just need a 3" 90* silicone bend. I was just mad bored, and I did this for free. I am not like dying for every little pony I can, I just am having fun, and trying to share what my thoughts are. I am building a Turbo LS400, so I have some extra stainless/aluminum piping lying around. But I do really appreciate your thoughts and insight, that's for sure. I just want to use all my resources as I literally haven't spent $1.00 on this set up other than the gasoline it cost me to drive to my friend's shop, and a few hours of my time.

Originally Posted by sakataj
i still REALLY hate this idea....but i will say this. IF you powder coated or painted that surrounding black it would look 100% better. I PERSONALLY still would NEVER do this
Thanks for the heads up.

On a side note... I would like to see who has made the cheapest intake to make the most power, too bad I don't have access to a dyno.
I attached a few videos from my iPhone, They aren't prefect, but you can get the idea of the sound that is in my cabin. After I uploaded them, I found out that you can't turn .mov movies unless you have quicktime pro... boo that. So you will have to turn your head sideways, or just listen. Sorry.

Old 11-05-09, 03:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

basic flaw with the original design (other than looking beyond ghetto) was the fact it wasnt sealed at all, which means more crap in the air filter, and more importantly, the majority of the air it would be getting would be from the engine bay. the nice HOT engine bay.

a heat shield (which you just made) is an improvement, but you really need to focus on sealing up the air's path so that the filter is getting fed ONLY from your ducting, which means closing up all the gaps. if you wanna do this cheap and right, seal up as much as you can.
Old 11-05-09, 04:53 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep the original design does have a heat soak flaw... The reason ARC boxes do not is because they're sealed and designed to separate the hot air from the cold air.
Old 11-05-09, 10:21 AM
vipjason
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rice rocketttt
Old 11-05-09, 02:01 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Yep the original design does have a heat soak flaw... The reason ARC boxes do not is because they're sealed and designed to separate the hot air from the cold air.
I wonder how they separate the hot air and cold air? Some monkey's in the intake directing the flow of air... "nope too hot, you over there...youre cold, go that way"

ARC boxes for the Honda have been dyno proven to provide nothing or minimal over stock boxes. This would probably also fall into the same category.
Old 11-05-09, 10:41 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a heat shield like that, wanna make me one?

BTW car sounds awesome!