GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

400/430 diy (cheap a$$) cai.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 11:23 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 400/430 diy (cheap a$$) cai.....

Well as you guys know, the cold air intakes are known to add power while giving you some more noise... Well I got bored today watching football and surfing car forums, so I decided to do some experimenting. I started out by brainstorming what I wanted. I want something that is cheap and sicne it is almost winter here, something that be can converted back to the stock housing for the -30* weather that will be arriving shortly.
That being said. I know there are a few companies out there that make them, however I could easily make my own for those prices... So I got to thinking.. what could I do with what I have already... I could get piping, cut it, get a filter, customize a MAF housing, wrap it, etc, etc... I also came up with another solution, since the existing plastic intake tube is decent, nothing special. Plastic is pretty good at dissipating heat in general so no need to wrap it, etc. I will note that I am custom fab'ing a CAI out of aluminum piping, however that is for another time and another place...

So here's what I did...
airbox, filter, silicone, 3 rubber bands looped because 1 wasn't large enough...

I simply applied the silicone to about 6 or 7 spots around the upper plastic housing. Once the silicone sat for a minute or so, I placed the filter on top of the silicone to dry, and at this point I just clamped it down to the bottom part of the box just to hold it tight until the silicone dried. 10 minutes later, I unclamped it and put the rubber bands around the filter and the upper housing to hold it tight just in case the silicone doesn't hold. It should be similar to this...

Next I had some vintage auto ventilation ducting, like heater/drier ducting stuff to aid in the cool air, as it is 38* here in Minnesota..

Final product...

I am very skeptical as far as little "power adders", however this one was a little different. I know that it isn't going to be like a supercharger or anything, but it does add a little zip to it as my VSC turns on way more then it ever did before. Also, there is a definite change in exhaust/intake noise above 3k rpm, it sounds lovely....

Questions, comments, etc..., but don't hate.... Haters can find another thread.
Old 10-10-09, 11:48 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i hope it's sealed properly.
Old 10-10-09, 12:37 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not hating, but I don't see the point. Stock box already has an air duct. You should have gone BFI, since that has been proven to work.
Old 10-10-09, 01:02 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
i hope it's sealed properly.
Not to sound like an idiot, but what happens if it isnt sealed properly?
Old 10-10-09, 01:37 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Come on man thats really ghetto... This is a lexus not a pinto... There are plenty of DIY for CAI on this board..
Old 10-10-09, 02:16 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be worried about moisture.
Old 10-10-09, 03:18 PM
NIXmx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminds me of the ARC induction boxes. I'm sure if you were to source a second lower part of the air box and cut it in half (using the factory latches to keep the filter in place) it wouldn't be as "ghetto". Know what I mean?

But this design over stock isn't much of a gain in any way. Drop in filter's aren't meant to be directly exposed.
Old 10-10-09, 04:40 PM
Blk96Supra
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldnt just getting a better filter like a K&N do just the same thing if not better? Since those will have less restriction when it sucks in verses a stock "paper tape" filter?
Old 10-11-09, 10:21 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Hey guys thanks for the responses, I am happy to have you guys respond with no hatred. Yes it was free, yes it is ghetto, and yes, I if I could, I would go out a buy an SRT or K&N CAI, but this was FREE, and I can go back to stock! I did this in like 5 minutes, and like I mentioned I am working on my own custom MAF housing, and then will put a cone filter on the end. Until then, it does just fine, I can put the stock airbox back on in less then 3 minutes. I am not going to keep this like the way it is currently is, I just am doing it for a few days until it either rains or I get tired or the rumble. And like NIXmx said, if I had another, I'd be drilling and cutting the crap out of it to make a little more noise, however not having a second one, I want to keep everything stock for the upcoming snow fall and dreaded winter.

If I had an extra airbox, I would easily make my own BFI, however I don't have any extra time right now, nor any money.. as it always goes towards my maintaining my cars and my business. Just wanted to put the thought out on the net that it's pretty easy to get that effect, I don't plan on driving though winter like that, but I do want a few days of the rumble....

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 10-11-09 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-11-09, 10:51 AM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea I bet it sounds alot nicer now
Your probably gonna see the gas milage go down since your gonna want to hear it roar all the time.
Old 10-11-09, 01:38 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That looks like bomb making material. I will buy you an intake jeez..

How is the seat of the pants feel with this mod?
Old 10-12-09, 11:37 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

yeah i def wont be doing this.....

its DEF FTL
Old 10-12-09, 01:28 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by sakataj
yeah i def wont be doing this.....

its DEF FTL
Then why even post in here? I did this for free, just to hear some noise. How is it "FTL"? Let see, it turns my VSC when it down shifts, I actually hear my V8 growl, and it was free and can be put back to stock? Why are they more horse's asses then there are horses? If you don't like my own FREE intake idea, why don't you just come up with your own? I am sorry I am not going to just shell out the money for a stupid pipe with a piece of paper on the end... Seriously.... All I need to do is cut off the airbox that is bolted the pass side of the engine, and its virtually the same as any aftermarket intake... I mentioned that I was also making my own on the side and this was only temporary. I just don't get why people would rather say thing like that... or this is stupid. Why not just look, and if you don't like it don't do it! Can I have a little fun with MY OWN CAR?!?!

Sorry, but I had say something, it pisses me off that there are so many people that have opinions on other peoples rides. Don't do it then, it's probably not what you desire. Yes, I understand our cars are made by LEXUS, and so what, being 23 years old, I grew up hot roding whatever I had to make it go faster, this is no exception.

Back to MY thread. I can tell you FOR SURE the sound is noticeable, both at idle and above 3,000 rpm. I really notice it when I am getting on the highway, and the vehicle will downshift, it was cause the VSC to turn on, which is never really did before. I can def tell it pulls harder to 6300. Like I said, it's not a turbo, supercharger, headers, etc. I do have exhaust so I do notice the intake growl as well as more noise out the rear end. That being said, it was DEF worth it as it was FREE, and because it snowed her all morning, I will be putting it back to stock after a few days of heavy footing it. I do think this was an improvement not only in sound, but in performance as well, not overly, but a little never hurts. I do think the stock airbox, (filter housing) is very restrictly as it only has one intake for it, which is why I think the BFI is so successful, as it has more inlets for air to be taken from.

Thanks for coming by, appreciate any REAL questions, comments and concerns, the rest are just wasting your time, go make your own intake, OR just buy one...

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 10-12-09 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 01:46 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"it pisses me off that there are so many people that have opinions on other peoples rides"

What would be the point in posting all this if you didn't want opinions? You could also cut off the mufflers to get growly sound, but just because its FREE doesn't make it a good idea. Its your car, do what you want, but how you expect people not to comment when you go out of your way to post pictures of this nonsense mod I am not sure..
Old 10-12-09, 02:34 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ghetto....

reminds me of the hands free cellular rubberband mod:

Quick Reply: 400/430 diy (cheap a$$) cai.....