GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

replacement key reprogramming

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-09, 07:45 PM
Azn2nr27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement key reprogramming

I am about to purchase a replacement master key from Sewell Lexus Parts but dont have a master key, only the valet key. Will I be able to program the new master key (with the remot buttons) with just the valet key? It states that I need a pre-programmed key but didnt specify the master key. Just curious. It'll be much cheaper this way rather than going to the dealership. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 10-16-09, 08:24 PM
Azn2nr27
Driver School Candidate

anyone? Well, I sent an email to them to see if I can before I buy it. I'd hate to drop a ton of cash at the dealership for a replacement master key.
Old 10-16-09, 10:13 PM
CleanGS4
Pole Position

well, i had the same problem. i brough my GS with only a valet key. then i went to the dealership and they said i needed a master key, and if i don't they have to put in a new system and reprogram a new set of keys i asked them how much they said around $3000 i was like o heck no. then i talked to a sales man and he slip me a card with a key maker number. Well maybe alot of people know this but i found out that keys are made by small guys who not the dealership. so i called this key man well it was another company but they where moblie and they came to me he only charged me if i remember right like 160 or so with bargining of cource. but the price should be around there. i'm in GA don't know how much that would help you but i'll find the number and Post it up tomorrow.
Old 10-17-09, 01:00 AM
Azn2nr27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CleanGS4
well, i had the same problem. i brough my GS with only a valet key. then i went to the dealership and they said i needed a master key, and if i don't they have to put in a new system and reprogram a new set of keys i asked them how much they said around $3000 i was like o heck no. then i talked to a sales man and he slip me a card with a key maker number. Well maybe alot of people know this but i found out that keys are made by small guys who not the dealership. so i called this key man well it was another company but they where moblie and they came to me he only charged me if i remember right like 160 or so with bargining of cource. but the price should be around there. i'm in GA don't know how much that would help you but i'll find the number and Post it up tomorrow.
much appreciated. Hopefully he can hook me up. Im in Florida though.
Old 10-17-09, 03:10 AM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus offers a one time only replacement of the computer if you buy a master key from them. Your local dealer will be able to help you with this. Because it is so expensive to replace your stinkin' key if it is lost people got kinda mad about that. I lost mine and found this out after months of the car sitting not knowing what to do. I paid for the master (250) and 100 in labor to install and program the computer. This is a one time courtesy from Lexus.
Old 10-17-09, 06:07 AM
Azn2nr27
Driver School Candidate

What if I have the master key but the master key is broken?
Old 10-17-09, 11:07 AM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like broken do you mean physically broken you can't stick it in the ignition anymore?
Old 10-17-09, 12:58 PM
CleanGS4
Pole Position

if you have the master key and its broken, just go to dealership and get another key they can still use that broken one that has the chip inside to make the new one!
Old 10-17-09, 03:05 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Agreed, if you really don't have the master key anymore, then get in touch with local locksmiths (or search google for some locksmith companies that do by-mail reprogramming). The locksmith community has more more specialized knowedge to do ECU reprogramming, more then your car mechanic is willing to do.

If you have a master key but it's just broken, you might be able to get the transponder to still work so don't need the ECU to be reflashed.
Old 10-17-09, 03:09 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by timgs300
Lexus offers a one time only replacement of the computer if you buy a master key from them. Your local dealer will be able to help you with this. Because it is so expensive to replace your stinkin' key if it is lost people got kinda mad about that. I lost mine and found this out after months of the car sitting not knowing what to do. I paid for the master (250) and 100 in labor to install and program the computer. This is a one time courtesy from Lexus.
YMMV. Worked for you, but this isn't necessarily always true, especially if you don't have a lengthy relationship with Lexus.
Old 03-09-11, 04:27 PM
marus
Pole Position

hey man, if u can..... i would like to get their number.. i stay in GA