GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

So I have a decision to make

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 07:13 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default So I have a decision to make

Now I will also do a post of this in the GS forums as well. I haven't posted in this forum before, as I tend to hang around the ES / GS section most of the time.

Effectively the Mrs has finally come around to my way of thinking and that the next car we buy will be a Lexus. The problem comes down to this. A choice between a 2nd Gen GS300 or a 2nd Gen RX330. My personal preference is the GS300 as it is a car I have always wanted, but the RX does have a certain appeal as well.

One of the main questions (as per usual is fuel). I have done searching on the net and got some figures which are pretty much the same. The perplexing problem I have though, is when I compare it to my ES300. The ES has a 70L tank. When the car gets to empty I generally only have to put in 50L as it won't accept any more. Is this the same situation in the GS300?

I also get at min 480kms and max 520kms out of 1 tank. What is the mileage (preferably in kms) that one can get out of the GS300 tank?

Please only provide informative replies. Yes if you're worried about fuel, maybe think about something else etc. etc. I'm not overly worried about, it's more curiosity than anything else. Effectively the decision will probably come down to the driving feel. Regardless I will be buying a Lexus of some sort. I have had 5 of them, so it's become a bit of a habit
Old 10-20-09, 09:33 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your problem with not being able to add more fuel to your tank has to do with not using all the fuel in your tank. No one ever uses every drop on gas from their tank. Do you fill up as soon as your gas light comes on? If so, there is a reserve that is still in there. Also, I usually get about 335 miles (roughly 540kms) per tank of gas, using premium fuel, which i think is decent for the gs300.
Old 10-24-09, 04:56 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

No other responses?

I have gone out and performed a test drive on both vehicles. The GS is fun and a thrill to drive, even on the short drive I took it on. I felt immediately comfortable in it and it just responded as I wanted it to. I also took a RX350 Sports Luxury (05) out for a spin as well (different days).

The Mrs no doubt is overjoyed with the RX, but I'm still somewhere stuck in the middle. The RX ride was smooth and comfortable and it was great to drive. Both are fantastic vehicles. I could hear just a touch of the wheel well noise which I am sure is common on SUV's.

Still I am not sure. The GS300 is my dream car. I did have an idea of doing the following as it could make sense. Would it be worth doing though?

1) Sell the ES and pick up some cash for it
2) Buy a GS300 (probably going to add a bit more cash on it)
3) After 2 years buy the RX and use the GS as a trade-in (or sell privately) as no doubt I will get more from the trade-in (selling private) from the GS than I would the ES.

This option gives us both the satisfaction being that I get my dream car for a little while, and then eventually get the RX (by then there will be a couple of kids no doubt).

Thoughts?
Old 10-24-09, 06:49 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 05 wasnt it an RX330?
Anyways, I have driven both, my dad owns an rx350 and I have a GS300.. Both pretty comfortable, If you want MPG's id get the RX..I think it has around 270ish hp, not a slow SUV.

If the GS is your "dream car" dont let anyone take what you want away from you lol.
if i said that to my GF id get my A handed to me lol

Edit:the other guy who posted said he gets 335 to a tank?? damn lol I get like 235 if Im lucky! all city though
Old 10-24-09, 07:17 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

With a little searching you will find that we just had a discussion about our fuel tanks (which I would think will be the same in all models' cases) our reserve tanks are 5 gallons as opposed to like 1-3 gallons in most other cars.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 10-24-09 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Changed spelling
Old 10-24-09, 07:52 AM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are considering the RX then I would advise you to get a certified one, they have known issues. Headlight condensation, diff seal leaking, serious rattles(dash, trunk, etc), also have the worst generation of navigation in them. Also it was the first RX to have drive by wire so it has laggy acceleration and feels like it surges when you are on and off the gas pedal, this is normal for the vehicle.

Im not saying the GS is perfect but we see fewer of them coming in for "defects".

Goodluck and happy hunting.
Old 10-24-09, 08:26 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
With a little searching you will find that we just had a discussion about our fuel tanks (which I would think will be the same in all models' cases) our researve tanks are 5 gallons as appose to like 1-3 gallons in most other cars.
Wow. That really explains why when I've drove and drove after the light has come on it's only been able to muster 16.something everytime.
Old 10-24-09, 08:38 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexus ASM
If you are considering the RX then I would advise you to get a certified one, they have known issues. Headlight condensation, diff seal leaking, serious rattles(dash, trunk, etc), also have the worst generation of navigation in them. Also it was the first RX to have drive by wire so it has laggy acceleration and feels like it surges when you are on and off the gas pedal, this is normal for the vehicle.

Im not saying the GS is perfect but we see fewer of them coming in for "defects".

Goodluck and happy hunting.
+1 defenitly get certified, my fathers has a spot of headlight condensation and a dash rattle lol