GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

JP or LED

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 10:14 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

oops........
Old 10-29-09, 10:50 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Man if I could find the thread of them I would show it.... Theres a set of LED tails on ebay with lenses that have the same look as the factory lenses and he just swapped them. again, flawless... I'll look for them just a bit, but the chances of finding them is slim to none.
send me the ebay link please.
maybe cause they dont exist? lol im just teasing....if u can find the link off here show me please.i know most people gave up after trying to open the OEM ones.

oops........
????
Old 10-29-09, 01:31 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
send me the ebay link please.
maybe cause they dont exist? lol im just teasing....if u can find the link off here show me please.i know most people gave up after trying to open the OEM ones.
I was almost sure that it was speedaddic. If you look at his (which I think are sonar) the lens has the same circle shapes inside as the factory ones other than the thicker bottom clear part, but obviously that wouldnt line up right with the factory ones...

Well just spent a few on ebay looing for the tails; cant find them. About a year ago a **** load of a style of tails popped up for our car for like a month then disappeared... they had a thin chrome piece available with smoked version. Those I believe were the ones.. IDK. I'm getting a headache trying to remember....

and the "oops" was a double post.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 10-29-09 at 01:39 PM. Reason: bad spelling :(
Old 10-29-09, 03:25 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
y of course...but pics dont show justice. v-leds bulbs are VERY bright. Just look at my interior

The color of your leather seats and carpeting appears to help out too B.
Old 10-29-09, 04:48 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sak, I was thinking the same thing Mr.Joker was, that you swapped the lens over on the led to the 2001 up tails. Mr.Joker, I remember seeing that post too with a member taking apart the led tails and putting on the 01 lens on top of it. Can't recall who it was though
Old 10-29-09, 08:13 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedaddic
Sak, I was thinking the same thing Mr.Joker was, that you swapped the lens over on the led to the 2001 up tails. Mr.Joker, I remember seeing that post too with a member taking apart the led tails and putting on the 01 lens on top of it. Can't recall who it was though
ahh... then thats probably what it was. I saw your post and it just stuck in my mind... When I get to work in a bit, I'm gonna spend a little time looking through my post history to see if I may have posted something in it so I can get the thread link.
Old 10-29-09, 08:46 PM
McDj18
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was almost sure that it was speedaddic. If you look at his (which I think are sonar) the lens has the same circle shapes inside as the factory ones other than the thicker bottom clear part, but obviously that wouldnt line up right with the factory ones...

Well just spent a few on ebay looing for the tails; cant find them. About a year ago a **** load of a style of tails popped up for our car for like a month then disappeared... they had a thin chrome piece available with smoked version. Those I believe were the ones.. IDK. I'm getting a headache trying to remember....

and the "oops" was a double post.
These are them...

Old 10-29-09, 10:56 PM
tonysgs300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoelGs
+1...
x2
Old 10-29-09, 11:16 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
I was going to post earlier in the thread, but the discussion became a bit misleading, so at this point I'm not going to go back and answer each post but just comment what I gathered from various replies.

- The 01 up lens can be removed, but it's not easy. The two methods I am aware of to do it without cracking, is to cut it out with a dremel on the black plastic section in order to leave the lens undamaged and then it can be trimmed clean. The other is to bake it, but I have RARELY seen it done "cleanly". Photos DO lie sometimes.

- I can see how someone who wanted LEDs with a 01 up lens could do this, but the way I understood the OP, is that they wanted the JP cleared tails, so using the stock 01 up lens WILL NOT accomplish that.

- On the 98 - 2000 tails many people have cleared it out by removing the lens and taking out the amber piece. In the 2001 up OEM tails the amber WILL NOT come out just by removing the lense.

- On some of the posts I read, it appears there might be some misunderstanding on what people thought someone did or didn't do or perhaps what they were looking at was not what they thought.

So to clarify:

A. If you want the "dead on" JP style cleared 2001 up tails, but with LEDs then I only see one "practical" option.

1.You would need to buy the JP tails, remove the lens and install it on the aftermarket LED set of your choice.

B. If you just want a LED tail with cleared out amber that matches the OEM 2001-up thickness then you have at least a couple of options.

1.The clear sections on the Insurance tails and all other aftermarket tails do not match the clear sections on the JP which are completely clear; you can see the bulb and reflector very clearly on the JP turn signal section. If this small difference does not bother you then you can have the JP "LOOK" by just buying the Insurance tails. They have a red color border around the clear, which matches the OEM "Look" the closest.

2.The ones posted by McDj18 have a thin clear, but do not have the red color border like the OEM 01-up tails.

3. If you are OK with the "snowflake" LED tails, or like the tails in #2, then you can paint the red trim around the lower section of the clear, using candy apple red model paint. If you do this the thickness of the clear will be exactly the same thickness as the OEM 01-up tails.

4. The Sonar/Wise/Carson tails have a clear section that is a lot thicker. You could paint the lower section red, but it will not match the OEM thickness.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 10-29-09 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-30-09, 08:07 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

oh crap I messed up again