GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What Transmission for a boosted na-t; 450-600HP

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 06:40 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Transmission for a boosted na-t; 450-600HP

So my eventual plan for my car is to build the 2jz-ge and install BL's compound turbo kit. However, there is a major problem, the transmission.

After 400 HP I know the stock transmission is incapable of holding the power, so my question is, what are the options.

My goals for the Compound turbo kit are 475-600 HP with a very low spool.
What I was curious is anyone can think of any options for a 5 or 6 Speed automatic transmission. If theres any-way to have an auto with steering wheel button shift that would be ideal.

I know there's always the Supra 6 Spd Manual, but it's quite expensive.
Another option I thought of was a TH400 with an Overdrive unit to make it a Six Spd. However i dont know about the comfort of the shifts with the TH400.

Any information would be gladly appreciated.
Old 10-30-09, 08:59 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

I was thinking about the TH400 tranny for my Na-t also, but the feedback I've gotten is that, yes, it will definitely hold the power, but if you're expecting smooth Lexus shifting, it ain't going to happen. So you will have to sacrifice that, but hey, when you're hitting over 500whp, well, need I say more?
Old 10-30-09, 09:01 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Forgot to mention, you could always have your existing tranny built. Valve body, torque converter upgrades, etc. Level 10 used to be a big name for built trannies.
Old 10-30-09, 10:48 AM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

Wow, there's a kit to make a 3 speed th400 into a 6 speed ??
Old 10-30-09, 11:10 AM
On3_Lo35
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HKS dogbox if you're a baller, my friend is making 650, with just tq converter and valvebody, just no 1st or 2nd gear launching
Old 10-30-09, 11:18 AM
duby1
Lexus Test Driver

my buddy has a 6 speed supra tranny. i believe he wants to get rid of it.
Old 10-30-09, 12:38 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

was thinking about the TH400 tranny for my Na-t also, but the feedback I've gotten is that, yes, it will definitely hold the power, but if you're expecting smooth Lexus shifting, it ain't going to happen. So you will have to sacrifice that, but hey, when you're hitting over 500whp, well, need I say more?
Yeah Veritek that's exactly what I was thinking, I know it will hold damn near any power level, but there goes those smooth shifts. I'd like to find an inbetween where the power capability isnt endless but it has decent shifts. Is there a 5 or 6 Speed Toyota truck transmission? Say out of the Tundra or something?

Forgot to mention, you could always have your existing tranny built. Valve body, torque converter upgrades, etc. Level 10 used to be a big name for built trannies.
All i've heard is bad news about the built stock trannies. That would ideally be the way I want to go, however ive always heard horror stories about this "built" trannys breaking down or not shifting fast enought.
I haven't researched what JeffTsai was using with his extreme gs300, but if it works i'd rather upgrade the tranny then have to strip it out and replace it.

What is the dogbox
Old 10-30-09, 01:54 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a dogbox is essentially a manual without the clutch. It literally sounds like a bunch of bones rattling around as you're driving.

best option is going to be a V160, though not at all affordable.

next I would suggest building up the factory auto. With a tranny cooler, VB upgrade and sprag gear you should be good for 400hp. Upgrade clutch packs and you're up to the 450/500 range. After that, you'll want built internals anyways.

By the time you get a turbo 400 or even 350 in, or a glide, or anything, including cost; you're better off with a v160 swap. Not only do you get the benefit of the man pedal, but also more gears, and the ability to hold a lot more power.
Old 10-30-09, 02:59 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can speak on this from experience. I have an AAP TH400 set up with the Gear Vendor OD unit in my Twin Turbo GS400. A built TH400 will hold more than most will throw at it, including me. The OD unit definitely helps on the driveability on the street. The shifts are dead on, no boost loss, and not a hassell to drive on the street. For racing, you cant beat it, period!

If you are buying new, it costs as much as the 6 spd swap for a good set up with the GV unit. You can find them used for much less these days.

By the way, Im selling my entire set up, if interested hit me up through PM. I have a potential buyer, just waiting for him to make a move. Im selling it for a killer deal too!

Why am I selling, Im going to the V160, I want to be the first GS4 with the V160 conversion. Also, I kinda miss the fun of the manual tranny.

I personally dont think the stock tranny, built or otherwise is the answer. For me, I dont think it will ever shift like I would want it to, plus I dont want to be the guinea pig to see if it holds the power.

By the way, the TH400 wont give you the smooth lexus stock tranny feel, but its not bad at all. When your hitting these power levels, much of the stock Lexus feel is lost anyhow. We dont build these to be stock!!
Old 10-30-09, 04:31 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
I can speak on this from experience. I have an AAP TH400 set up with the Gear Vendor OD unit in my Twin Turbo GS400. A built TH400 will hold more than most will throw at it, including me. The OD unit definitely helps on the driveability on the street. The shifts are dead on, no boost loss, and not a hassell to drive on the street. For racing, you cant beat it, period!

If you are buying new, it costs as much as the 6 spd swap for a good set up with the GV unit. You can find them used for much less these days.

By the way, Im selling my entire set up, if interested hit me up through PM. I have a potential buyer, just waiting for him to make a move. Im selling it for a killer deal too!

Why am I selling, Im going to the V160, I want to be the first GS4 with the V160 conversion. Also, I kinda miss the fun of the manual tranny.

I personally dont think the stock tranny, built or otherwise is the answer. For me, I dont think it will ever shift like I would want it to, plus I dont want to be the guinea pig to see if it holds the power.

By the way, the TH400 wont give you the smooth lexus stock tranny feel, but its not bad at all. When your hitting these power levels, much of the stock Lexus feel is lost anyhow. We dont build these to be stock!!
JeffTsai was able to hit well over 450rwhp before his clutchpacks went. Now, obviously, he built the tranny. But, with sprag, clutchpacks, VB and cooler, among other built bits, he's pushing far more than that and shooting for 1100hp through the a650e, built as it may be.
Old 10-30-09, 08:41 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 1UZ puts down more TQ though. I put down in the high 600's rwtq through the TH400.

Trust me, I hope his built A650E holds it, it would be a good test for the rest of us. It would be nice to maintain some Lexus feel with a tranny that can actually hold it.
Old 10-30-09, 09:49 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue98Gs3
So my eventual plan for my car is to build the 2jz-ge and install BL's compound turbo kit. However, there is a major problem, the transmission.

After 400 HP I know the stock transmission is incapable of holding the power, so my question is, what are the options.

My goals for the Compound turbo kit are 475-600 HP with a very low spool.
What I was curious is anyone can think of any options for a 5 or 6 Speed automatic transmission. If theres any-way to have an auto with steering wheel button shift that would be ideal.

I know there's always the Supra 6 Spd Manual, but it's quite expensive.
Another option I thought of was a TH400 with an Overdrive unit to make it a Six Spd. However i dont know about the comfort of the shifts with the TH400.

Any information would be gladly appreciated.
I'd go with R154 if you know someone who is willing to help you out...or PM "adam.... i forget the screenname but someone on here has a 2JZGTE+R154. but i think he blew it up, which is impressive considering R154s are no W58s.
Old 10-30-09, 11:47 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I'd go with R154 if you know someone who is willing to help you out...or PM "adam.... i forget the screenname but someone on here has a 2JZGTE+R154. but i think he blew it up, which is impressive considering R154s are no W58s.
adamgamz is his name.

Although the R154 is no Getrag, it can withstand a lot of power and it costs a lot less. He did blow it up but the nice thing is that you can always send it out to Marlin Crawler and have it rebuilt to be a lot stronger. Its not cheap but worth looking into. And if I'm not mistaken, Adam went the MC way.
Old 11-10-09, 05:31 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Okay so let me summarize my thoughts:

V160- Obviously super strong, super reliable. Downside: Expensive, requires conversion to manual

R154- What are the power limits of the stock transmission? What is the price to Upgrade it and how much power will it hold?

A650?- Stock Tranny- So how much is an upgraded valve body, sprag gear and clutchpacks going to run me? Will i still be succeptible to the infamous lagging shifting i've read so much about?

TH400- Obviously super strong, only downside is the harder shifts and the cost.

Are there any other options for transmissions? Tundra transmission? Is that a 5 or 6 Speed?
Old 11-10-09, 06:40 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue98Gs3
Okay so let me summarize my thoughts:

V160- Obviously super strong, super reliable. Downside: Expensive, requires conversion to manual

R154- What are the power limits of the stock transmission? What is the price to Upgrade it and how much power will it hold?

A650?- Stock Tranny- So how much is an upgraded valve body, sprag gear and clutchpacks going to run me? Will i still be succeptible to the infamous lagging shifting i've read so much about?

TH400- Obviously super strong, only downside is the harder shifts and the cost.

Are there any other options for transmissions? Tundra transmission? Is that a 5 or 6 Speed?
R154 is a MT too. what about A340E?

Quick Reply: What Transmission for a boosted na-t; 450-600HP