GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Long Time Lexus Owner thinking of an M3!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-09, 11:30 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck on your choice, hope you get the IS350!
Old 11-06-09, 05:51 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Denver,

It sounds like you like your GS400 a lot! I would go to the current classifieds and pick up Morris' turbo'd GS400 for the $12,500 asking price. With the $10K left over fix it up and get an older used Civic to bang around to and from work and keep the boosted GS400 as a weekend car. On the straights and highway there is not going to be much that would keep up with that beast. I beleive he was saying that he was hitting 560whp (700hp crank) on pump gas. Insane...this is what I would do.

Or, if you want something newer pay closer to $30K (perhaps finance a small amount $5-10K) and buy something with lower miles. GL with either choice you make!
Old 11-06-09, 09:19 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pass on the BMW. They are crap. I sold my 2000 M5 because everything started breaking, and I was not hard on it at all. And, it costs a butt load to fix. They are cool, but a money pit.

If you want something badass, get the last gen AMG E55. You can get them for 20-50 now and they make good HP and a retarded amount of torkes.
Old 11-06-09, 12:28 PM
vipjason
Lead Lap

02 red m3 smg
Old 11-06-09, 12:56 PM
duby1
Lexus Test Driver

put that money down on a LS430! the new ones. so luxurious!
Old 11-06-09, 01:45 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like what has been said, if you keep the M3 maintained its no big deal. BMW parts are much cheaper than toyota/honda parts. BMW uses crappy leather and it will show much more wear than a Lexus, but they use better exterior paint.

Also, aren't those 3rd gen GS's inferior to our 2G's in quality. If you browse through their section they seem to have more trouble with interior squeaks and rattles. Also because of weight, a 2G V8 car will blow the doors off a 3G 430 and the 460 is just barely quicker than a 98-00 GS400.
Old 11-06-09, 02:33 PM
DirtyE30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
Like what has been said, if you keep the M3 maintained its no big deal. BMW parts are much cheaper than toyota/honda parts. BMW uses crappy leather and it will show much more wear than a Lexus, but they use better exterior paint.

Also, aren't those 3rd gen GS's inferior to our 2G's in quality. If you browse through their section they seem to have more trouble with interior squeaks and rattles. Also because of weight, a 2G V8 car will blow the doors off a 3G 430 and the 460 is just barely quicker than a 98-00 GS400.
M car parts are SO not cheaper than Lexus/Toyota parts.
Old 11-06-09, 02:41 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyE30
M car parts are SO not cheaper than Lexus/Toyota parts.
+1, try buying an A/C compressor or waterpump for an M, OEM will have you using smelling salts
Old 11-06-09, 03:53 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So much
misinformation on the BMW & Lexus front in this post...lol... Commence..
Old 11-06-09, 04:08 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

if you keep the M3 maintained its no big deal. BMW parts are much cheaper than toyota/honda parts.
Old 11-07-09, 11:06 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

haha whatever guys, nevermind that I own BOTH

BMW parts are actually very cheap (yes M parts included), but of course not from the dealer. Lexus parts are quite expensive even from discount sites like carson and sewell. I don't know what is wrong with you guys but ask anyone that owns a BMW and works on it themselves. Yes if you take it straight to the dealer everytime there is a problem you will get raped... but what brand isn't like that?
Old 11-07-09, 11:08 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tromly
+1, try buying an A/C compressor or waterpump for an M, OEM will have you using smelling salts
ummm you can get an oem bmw waterpump for a few hundered bucks...same as my GS4???

NEWSFLASH ALL OEM A/C COMPRESSORS ARE EXPENSIVE

don't make me post some prices in this thread to make you look like an idiot, even oem parts at msrp from the dealer.

get a clue.
Old 11-07-09, 11:09 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
So much
misinformation on the BMW & Lexus front in this post...lol... Commence..
o rly perhaps you could be specific and allow me to prove you wrong?
Old 11-07-09, 11:31 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

haha whatever guys, nevermind that I own BOTH

BMW parts are actually very cheap (yes M parts included), but of course not from the dealer. Lexus parts are quite expensive even from discount sites like carson and sewell. I don't know what is wrong with you guys but ask anyone that owns a BMW and works on it themselves. Yes if you take it straight to the dealer everytime there is a problem you will get raped... but what brand isn't like that?
yeah you have an E36, not an E46. Completely different cars.

My E39 M5 was a huge falling apart POS and parts were expensive. And believe me, I checked everywhere.

But since you think they are so cheap, show us a comparison of a Lexus and BMW part.
Old 11-07-09, 12:33 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

I love this thread! lol
In the real though, i would choose a Lexus over a bimmer any day! Maybe because I live in Germany and got so used to seen bimmers left and right, that maybe I don't see them as a bid deal. I also don't see how they can cost so much with an interior so cheaply made. I dunno why, but that's just me. My dad owns a 528 (E39) in the US and it seems as though he calls at least once a quarter about something wrong with his car. I've also spoken to a lot of different people who own BMW's, mechanics too and they say they are nothing but trouble. These are German folks am talking about, some American's too. So yeah, make your decision wisely and not solely because of what we write on here, but based on your own research. All am writing about is my own personal experience with the brand. Good luck though!

Quick Reply: Long Time Lexus Owner thinking of an M3!