GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

what to remove on headlight before "baking"

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 09:37 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default what to remove on headlight before "baking"

i was wondering whats needed to be removed from the OE HID headlight assembly before the baking process? i could remove the HID bulb but had a hard time removing the ballast since the wire wouldnt come out.. is there a trick or do i just bake as is?
Old 11-06-09, 10:11 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
i was wondering whats needed to be removed from the OE HID headlight assembly before the baking process? i could remove the HID bulb but had a hard time removing the ballast since the wire wouldnt come out.. is there a trick or do i just bake as is?
To get the plug out, you can unscrew the 2 alignment screws enough so that the reflector moves back enough to clear the plug.

Make sure to mark the screws or count the revolutions cause it's going to have to turn a bunch.

Take out all the small phillips screws on the back so that you are ready to pry open once it's baked.
Old 11-06-09, 10:22 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just did it as is...didn't remove anything. Mind you the heat I used were never that hot enough to melt anything except for the goo. 250 for 8 mins is enough to make the goo melt and then you can just pop it in and out of the oven to pry it all off
Old 11-06-09, 10:35 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
I just did it as is...didn't remove anything. Mind you the heat I used were never that hot enough to melt anything except for the goo. 250 for 8 mins is enough to make the goo melt and then you can just pop it in and out of the oven to pry it all off
very true, I did the same thing. However, removing like the clips will help with handling cause the metals heat up and if you touch them with your hand or fingers, you get a nice burn
Old 11-07-09, 12:06 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im guessing u have the OEM HIDs. i would follow advice posted above but its ironic because i did this today and i did a write up for it and posted on the forum. check it out mayb it will help u.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rn-signal.html
Old 11-07-09, 02:24 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for the advice guys. also thanks for that DIY link!

instead of using the oven what if i evenly heat up the glue with a heat gun for a 5-10 minutes? would that work?
Old 11-07-09, 10:20 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

yea and theres about 20 write ups in our DIY link section
Old 11-07-09, 05:06 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know there are a billion write ups but this is what works best for me, GS light or not. Oven on lowest setting, like 200-250*, once it reaches op temp, turn it off. Put the light in on a cookie pan, give it about 3-5 mins, pull it out, and start to pry the lens away from the housing being CAREFUL not to break either. If the silicone becomes cool, put it back in the oven for a few minutes and it should do the trick. Sorry, but I just had to give my 2 cents....
Old 11-07-09, 05:32 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

yea in addition, DO NOT forget to turn it off like I did and bake them for 10 minuets! LoL, you wont like what comes out ha ha
Old 11-07-09, 06:01 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

yea theres a lot of DIY on baking but they dont really tell me what to remove on the headlight n how to remove it. unless i failed at searching. hah
Old 11-07-09, 06:16 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jam it with some tool where the plastic meet, pry it open with some screwdriver or some garden tools...but make sure it's not your prized tool, because I found that the goop will harden and will **** up the tool. IMO the oven trick is the best because you are heating everything uniformly, the heat gun method only concentrates on one place...but I have never tried it myself, so good luck and post the results.
Old 11-07-09, 09:13 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vwynn
yea theres a lot of DIY on baking but they dont really tell me what to remove on the headlight n how to remove it. unless i failed at searching. hah
Well whats your question? or has it changed? Thread was about what to remove from housing before baking. Are you now asking what needs to be removed AFTER baking? I'm a bit confused now

As said already, you dont really have to remove anything. I'd remove the ballasts though at the very least. I removed any screws visible and all the screws and anything attached to them just for the hell of it. As for how to separate, just find all the edges of the clear lens and start pulling. After you remove is from the oven, you'll kinda see it separating already.

BTW, what are even doin? are you doing a retrofit?

Originally Posted by Kaydee
Jam it with some tool where the plastic meet, pry it open with some screwdriver or some garden tools...but make sure it's not your prized tool, because I found that the goop will harden and will **** up the tool. IMO the oven trick is the best because you are heating everything uniformly, the heat gun method only concentrates on one place...but I have never tried it myself, so good luck and post the results.
holy crap tell me about it!! What a frickin mess it makes!!!
Old 11-08-09, 12:47 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Well whats your question? or has it changed? Thread was about what to remove from housing before baking. Are you now asking what needs to be removed AFTER baking? I'm a bit confused now

As said already, you dont really have to remove anything. I'd remove the ballasts though at the very least. I removed any screws visible and all the screws and anything attached to them just for the hell of it. As for how to separate, just find all the edges of the clear lens and start pulling. After you remove is from the oven, you'll kinda see it separating already.

BTW, what are even doin? are you doing a retrofit?

holy crap tell me about it!! What a frickin mess it makes!!!

that answers my question now i gotta figure out how to remove that hah. hopefully ill remove my headlights n play around soon.

n yes retrofit
Old 11-08-09, 01:55 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

cool good luck

Heres a GREAT word of advice... If you have another car to drive, MUCH better. Once you have both lenses off and have finally put both projectors on, reinstall the headlights (with lenses off) that will allow you to monkey around with their position and get your PERFECT cutoff!

Which projectors did you go with?
Old 11-08-09, 08:39 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

LS460 Projectors and E46 or G37 projectors

Quick Reply: what to remove on headlight before "baking"