GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone with Cam Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-09, 06:47 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone with Cam Gears?

I am about to do the whole timing belt, serpentine belt change and wondering about updating cam gears and pulleys. I want to kno if anyone has changed their cam gears and/or pulleys. possibly pics if u got em and let me kno where and how much u got em for. PLS!!! thanks
Old 11-12-09, 07:04 PM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i changed the exhaust cam gear on my GS.

didnt touch the pulley's but i know unorthodox does make a set for the GS (not crank pulley though)

Old 11-12-09, 07:46 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a billet aluminum adjustable cam gear on the exhaust side. I have it -4' degrees retard at the moment. Makes a good bit more power at 8000rpm, but you sacrifice some power down low. I also have the ATI SuperDamper crank pulley because I shattered the stock pulley revving to 8k all the time.

BUT...honestly. IMO if you're stock there is really zero point to do those upgrades. What's the point of buying a billet adjustable cam gear if you're going to just leave it at the zero mark. Save yourself the $150 and keep that money in your pocket lol. If you're doing it for weight savings, there is negligible difference between the stock pulley and an aftermarket one. Unless you have cams and a FIC/Emanage ultimate to tune the car...I'd say you should pass on doing those upgrades. Some guys do it for looks, but most of the guys just put the plastic cover back on. So again, back to my original point...what is the point?

Last edited by JeffTsai; 11-12-09 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-12-09, 08:35 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Thanks for the advice ^^^. my car isnt completely stock and i plan on doing a 6spd manny swap next spring. and a turbo. my main reason for asking was cuz i rly want to get my low end power back cuz the short ram intake kinda killed that. BTW if i do get this 2 questions:
1. what setting wuld i hav to put it on to get more low end?
2. is it only one gear on the cam or are both replaced because i seen kits for one gear and i seen som for 2 gears...trynna figure out which i wuld get?
Old 11-12-09, 11:46 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind the 6spd swap costs around $8-9k+ to do with all new and good parts. You can get by with used parts for around $6-7k range, but it's stil not cheap. I'm planning to do the swap on my car soon so I know all the prices. For the turbo setup, to make enough power(600-700rwhp+) to actually need the strength of the 6spd, you will spend around $10k+ range on engine alone.

Not to discourage you or anything, just giving you a realistic number so you can start saving up the proper amount

As for you losing your low end after the intake, that's because it's not tuned. Install a AEM FIC and get the car tuned for the intake and you will get all that power back plus a few extra hp. The cam gear is pretty much just for decoration if you're on stock cams. Anyways, if you want to put it on regardless...then there is only the cam gear on the exhaust side that you need to change out. The intake side has VVTi and you don't swap that one out unless you want to modify the head to accept a fixed timing cam gear.
Old 11-13-09, 08:01 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

ok thanks again. for the heads up. I alrdy hav sum1 pricing the manny swap and i kno its pretty expensive. i personally kno a guy with a shop thats gonna hook me up a sweet deal . so i wont be paying that much. i will mainly jus b paying for parts. i may jus leave the cam gear alone n go ahead n get the AEM FIC. do u hav one of these? n if so were culd i find one?