GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wierd sound while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-09, 09:08 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Wierd sound while driving?

Ok this is a DIFFERENT sound than what my last post says. Try to imagine some sort of pebble that is very light getting stuck in your tire tread; that clicking sound it makes, its a bit more higher pitch then a normal rock caught in tread. Ok well thats the sound I hear and I hear it JUST like if it were a rock in my tire. As I speed up the sound gets fast etc etc... BUT, its random? while at a constant speed it sounds like a pebble. Now I pulled over to check to see if maybe I picked up a piece of paper or something (btw on way to work so no time at the time to check more). I find nothing, now here is where it gets weird and why I say its random. Im in a neighborhood so I make a 3 point turn and I hear click.... click... clickclick... click.. click click.. so very abnormal so now I'm thinking something with spindle or suspension parts? anyways, I get back on road and hear the same constant pebble-stuck-in-wheel noise. Also found during driving if I swerved a bit the sound was gone for a second. Could this all still be a pebble? I'm still at work so I've hadnt the time to remove rim to check anything. Thought I'd hit you guys up for a head start as I lift the car tomorrow...

thanks

oh and I'm on bags if that makes a difference.
Old 11-13-09, 12:24 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Found a flat tire when I got out of work pulled rim off and found no holes or nails or anything dont know what happened.
Old 11-14-09, 06:05 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow sounds like a bad case of the killer ex girlfriend. lol jk ...hmm idk wat to tell u. i kno my parking brake makes a weird sound similar to that because it needs to be replaced but not really sure. I dnt kno anything about bags but i wuld be careful to check all that (as i'm sure u did) because a friend of mine's bags were cut one night and he had to drive home 40min with no rear suspension. i'm sure u'll figure it out thou. hope it was just the tire
Old 11-14-09, 08:02 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Ok this is a DIFFERENT sound than what my last post says. Try to imagine some sort of pebble that is very light getting stuck in your tire tread; that clicking sound it makes, its a bit more higher pitch then a normal rock caught in tread. Ok well thats the sound I hear and I hear it JUST like if it were a rock in my tire. As I speed up the sound gets fast etc etc... BUT, its random? while at a constant speed it sounds like a pebble. Now I pulled over to check to see if maybe I picked up a piece of paper or something (btw on way to work so no time at the time to check more). I find nothing, now here is where it gets weird and why I say its random. Im in a neighborhood so I make a 3 point turn and I hear click.... click... clickclick... click.. click click.. so very abnormal so now I'm thinking something with spindle or suspension parts? anyways, I get back on road and hear the same constant pebble-stuck-in-wheel noise. Also found during driving if I swerved a bit the sound was gone for a second. Could this all still be a pebble? I'm still at work so I've hadnt the time to remove rim to check anything. Thought I'd hit you guys up for a head start as I lift the car tomorrow...

thanks

oh and I'm on bags if that makes a difference.
Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Found a flat tire when I got out of work pulled rim off and found no holes or nails or anything dont know what happened.
ALOT of construction going on by me house (i live in a new neighborhood) so im constantly picking up screws/nails in my tires and thats the sounds i normally here.

its possible u ran over a screw/nail or something and it ended up coming back out which would explain the noise/flat tire. dunno. after u get tired fixed/repaired/replaced if you still hear it, try and isolate it an then check that tire
Old 11-14-09, 09:42 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

(heres a repost of what I wrote in other thread)

took tire to shop and they just aired it up! if you recall a while back I bought some tires thinking I was getting some 255's (but got 225's) well thats what caused the tire deal. Since it was too small for the rim, the drift just pulled it off I've had the tire has been on for 24 hours already and its fine so lucked out, just gotta be careful with those unexpected drifts... thanks guys
Old 11-14-09, 04:58 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow well at least ur good. moral of the story...stop drfiting. lol.
ITS SO MUCH FUN!! lol