GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Please help!!!: Loud "metal-like" noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 02:38 PM
airestonia
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Please help!!!: Loud "metal-like" noise

Hello everyone,
I have just picked up my first ever lexus gs300 2001 from the dealer.

But later on in the evening when parking, I've heard this very loud "metal-like" noise or squeaking when my steering wheel was turned maximum right. If I stopped right away it would go away, but if I moved it would return.
It's not related to breaking since I wasn't breaking at that time, plus my passenger has felt vibration coming from the foot area, somewhere on the left side, exactly at the time of that sound. I've already heard it twice, and believe me the noise is dreadful

I don't know if thats related but the other thing I've noticed was that when going straight steering wheel has this "free movement" meaning I could turn my steering wheel one cm (less than half an inch) left or right and the car would still drive straight

I haven't noticed any of that when I did my test drive and now really worried if that's going to run me some serious money!

Your help and advices are deeply appreciated!
Thank you very much!!!
Old 11-16-09, 03:17 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

if u jus got it and havent really put any serious miles on since u got it, i would go back to the dealer and ask them to inspect it for u cuz thats crazy. only thing i can think is if u get an alignment or sumthing becuz i used to here a clicking noise when i turned my wheel all the way to the left or right but nvr heard sumthing lyk wat ur describing.
Old 11-16-09, 03:41 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like bad tie rod ends. you can replace those easily and cheaply
take a look yourself and see if they are blown.
but u should first go back to the dealer and see what they can do for u.
Old 11-16-09, 04:17 PM
phillygs3

maybe power steering pump , check your fluid
Old 11-17-09, 02:35 PM
airestonia
Pole Position

Thanks for all the help guys!

Today I've been to the dealer and was able to reproduce all the weird noises and this "free movement" thing I've been experiencing the other day.

The metal-like grinding noise turned out to be a rusted brake cylinder, they repaired that and not it's gone completely!
They have also adjusted my steering wheel, so now when I drive straight my steering wheel is positioned straight as well!

Now to the steering wheel "free movement" horror.
It was easy to reproduce and show to the dealer.
Actually it can be spotted even when the car is not moving, there is this slight movement both to the left and right, that feels not-connected to the steering.
Just as I said before, while driving or not, I can turn my wheel in both ways just a little (less than an inch) and feel no resistance at all as well as the car doesn't change its course
The dealer said that they have inspected everything thoroughly and there is nothing to be worried about, and it might be due to high profile winter tires with these "nails or how it's called", but I'm not so sure, since they usually sell only new lexuses and come by used GSs very rarely...

Please, help me out on this one, it feels really annoying or should I say it feels wrong since not any car I had previously did this (and they all were more then 10 years old and far from lexus luxury)

I can tak a video or something, if that helps?!

Thank you all very much!!!
Old 11-17-09, 09:09 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by airestonia
Thanks for all the help guys!

Today I've been to the dealer and was able to reproduce all the weird noises and this "free movement" thing I've been experiencing the other day.

The metal-like grinding noise turned out to be a rusted brake cylinder, they repaired that and not it's gone completely!
They have also adjusted my steering wheel, so now when I drive straight my steering wheel is positioned straight as well!

Now to the steering wheel "free movement" horror.
It was easy to reproduce and show to the dealer.
Actually it can be spotted even when the car is not moving, there is this slight movement both to the left and right, that feels not-connected to the steering.
Just as I said before, while driving or not, I can turn my wheel in both ways just a little (less than an inch) and feel no resistance at all as well as the car doesn't change its course You might want to look into the Steering Rach Bushing from Daizen. It will replace three bushings in the steering rack and it will tighten up the steering wheel so there no more free play. It costs around $60 or so from www.tmengineering.net. If you are not handy with tools, then you should let the mechanic replace it. The driver side is easy, but the passenger side is a little tricky to install. Good luck
The dealer said that they have inspected everything thoroughly and there is nothing to be worried about, and it might be due to high profile winter tires with these "nails or how it's called", but I'm not so sure, since they usually sell only new lexuses and come by used GSs very rarely...

Please, help me out on this one, it feels really annoying or should I say it feels wrong since not any car I had previously did this (and they all were more then 10 years old and far from lexus luxury)

I can tak a video or something, if that helps?!

Thank you all very much!!!
I hope this will help you for free play on the steering wheel. May be some other CL member can shed more light.
Old 11-17-09, 09:20 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wait, so a "rusted" brake cylinder (brake booster?) was causing a metal grinding sound when you turned your steering wheel?
Old 11-18-09, 03:37 PM
airestonia
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
wait, so a "rusted" brake cylinder (brake booster?) was causing a metal grinding sound when you turned your steering wheel?
At least that's what I was told. But I might have expressed myself the wrong way. The sound was there, when the wheel was turned and I was slowly moving...

Any input on the free play issue?