GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First Official ClubLexus Dyno: GS430 with Injen intake!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-02, 10:29 AM
Static911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gwu128 has fully committed by saying "ANY DAY, ANY TIME!"

I'm shootin for Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday (whichever day)

Testing process (tentative):

1) Base line dyno (3 runs)

2) Injen Intake (3 runs)

3) WR Intake (3 runs)

4) SRT Intake (3 runs)

5) SRT Intake with ECU (3 runs)

This will prob be an all day thing unless we can split it up multiply days...but....forget it, I want to get it over with in one day!

Ethan
Old 05-04-02, 10:39 AM
cwerlin
Rookie

YOU GO Ethan, that rocks, the sooner the better. If I was in SoCal, I would definately swing by. We should all begin using this shop for dyno runs if they are donating to the cause. Assuming you line somewhere nearby.

Craig
Old 05-04-02, 10:45 AM
Static911

Nah, thank gwu128 and manaray for their help...I just organized it...I don't own a GS430.

Ethan
Old 05-04-02, 12:38 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It really blows my mind that neither WR or SRT have the ***** to show up to this or even LOAN product...to me, that says a LOT about both companies. ESPECIALLY Weapon-R...aren't they locals?

I'm just waiting to see the typical "We have nothing to prove." BS...they should have nothing to FEAR if they're product does what they say it does...

As for wiring the ECU...this might be problematic...I'm not really gun-ho on doing SRT's piggyback ECU in light of SRT's "enthusiasm" for this test...maybe I can get a "loaner" ECU that we can do the piggy back install on...

GWU128 - Have you already had the SRT ECU piggybacked in your car?

Ethan, you need to meet with Ed and have a talk with him to see if he'll also come. I'm going to see him tommorow so I'll ask...
Old 05-04-02, 01:05 PM
gwu128
Driver

Originally posted by manaray
No, I took the ECU out because I have the WR intake in my car now. I did use the SRT ECU with WR intake for testing purpose only, but it did give me problem, the engine light came up.
Old 05-04-02, 10:48 PM
kodai
Driver

I see talk, but when are the test results going to be posted or even done for that matter.
Old 05-05-02, 01:01 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default not so fast

Originally posted by manaray
It really blows my mind that neither WR or SRT have the ***** to show up to this or even LOAN product...to me, that says a LOT about both companies. ESPECIALLY Weapon-R...aren't they locals?

I'm just waiting to see the typical "We have nothing to prove." BS...they should have nothing to FEAR if they're product does what they say it does...

As for wiring the ECU...this might be problematic...I'm not really gun-ho on doing SRT's piggyback ECU in light of SRT's "enthusiasm" for this test...maybe I can get a "loaner" ECU that we can do the piggy back install on...

Ethan, you need to meet with Ed and have a talk with him to see if he'll also come. I'm going to see him tommorow so I'll ask...
WR is located in San Franciso, so they are not local. There is more to it on WR side. Something that I am not willing to comment on just yet. Im sure Static911 would agree with me on this, at least until it is time.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 05-05-02 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-05-02, 10:57 AM
Static911

kodai

We just figured everything out on Friday afternoon.

On Monday morning I confirm everything.

If you think this is all talk, you should see the last time I tried organizing something. I had the dates and times confirmed, but the manufacturers backed out in sending their products to me; hence, I had to cancel everything.

Ethan
Old 05-06-02, 08:39 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally posted by Static911
gwu128 has fully committed by saying "ANY DAY, ANY TIME!"

I'm shootin for Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday (whichever day)

Testing process (tentative):

1) Base line dyno (3 runs)

2) Injen Intake (3 runs)

3) WR Intake (3 runs)

4) SRT Intake (3 runs)

5) SRT Intake with ECU (3 runs)

This will prob be an all day thing unless we can split it up multiply days...but....forget it, I want to get it over with in one day!

Ethan

Many thanks to Ethan, Manaray and GWU128 for taking this on! Count me in for donating $50 to help with dyno costs if you guys need it.

A few additional thoughts:

1) You'll want to do this in one day if you can, but watch the air temp and humidity levels as that will have an impact on each dyno. Make sure the shop records that stuff too.

2) Use the same in-car operator for all the dyno runs if possible. We got to do the runs ourselves at our recent meet in Charlotte, and we had a learning curve on how to do it right as well as suspected differences in 'technique'. For example, Dex and I have basically the same mods, but my Max torque (286.6) was significantly higher than what he got on his runs.

3) I didn't see a listing for WR intake WITH ECU. I haven't been following development of this product real closely... does it exist yet? I seem to recall SRT saying something about their intake not being designed to operate without their ECU in the past. Just thought we should be sure to test apples-to-apples if we can.

4) Don't want to muddy the waters any (well, maybe a little )... Should we also try to get one of the Jet ECU updates that folks have been talking about
like in this link? Not sure if this is an option or practical, just a thought.
Old 05-06-02, 09:00 AM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Wow, it's been a long time since I last been on this board.

I am very curious as to the results and data gathered when this test is completed. It nice to know that there are people out there who want to test product claims so that average consumers will know the real facts instead of pumped up numbers based on bias data from manufacturers. I have a 2001 GS430 with the SRT intake and ECU. In fact I was the first one to have the GS400 ECU installed on a GS430. Mo tweaked and tuned it to make it work and it sounded like a V8 when I stomped on it but the results were not awe inspiring. We did not get a chance to dyno before I had to leave. What I am amazed is that Mo(SRT) would not at least loan an intake for the testing. Since he used to be promoted here quite often and from that promotion resulted in many members buying his product. This should have not even been a question in his mind. I understand Manaray's view point on the "*****" part of the manufacturer. If you say that your product can do something, back it up and if your claims prove to be true then you have members who will shell out their money to purchase a "real" proven product. I think I speak for everyone when I say that, "anyone can claim anything at any time, but when you can back up that claim you have a loyal consumer"

Good luck with the tests.

Khanh
Old 05-06-02, 09:08 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ethan if you need contributions, pm me and let me know. i can scrounge up a few bucks for ya. i suspect that there will be a surplus of used (insert losing intake here) for sale on the classifieds board. i am anxious to see if i made the right decision or not.

Doc