GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help car blows alot of smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-09, 12:00 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSRSRT
lol i like smart asses like u first of all it aint no beat up Lexus second i buy my own **** don't need to tell u what i do or where i work and i will ask as many questions as i want on this forum and if u don't like it see yur self out of here aight Mr. Civic and its funny how u criticize my car and me and u have no idea what other cars i have or what i do that's the funny part about it maybe you the one who gets there parents to buy yur ****? anyways
Well, we know you're not an English teacher...
Old 11-27-09, 08:39 AM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol people like sivikvtec has smart *** comments and need to be taught a lesson!
Old 11-27-09, 12:44 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

have u check the oil?
see if the oil has mixed with coolant
Old 11-27-09, 01:02 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

i have checked and no its not mixed
Old 01-04-10, 10:49 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

UPDATE.. OK so i finally took it to the shop and decided to do a tune up, So i changed the timing belt , water pump, and Seals also the radiator hoses now the car is not loosing any oil whats so ever so the problem was the Seal and now am good to go except for my obx headers i still can figure witch O2 sensors i gotta put the fouler on
Old 01-04-11, 11:36 PM
aristotle
Rookie

if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to have all that work done?
Old 01-05-11, 06:24 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I was in ny this week to visit. I could of taken a look, oh well lol. Anyways it sounds like you possibly blew out your engine front oil seals. You dont want to be running thick oil in a stock engine. If you do, it is extremely important that you make sure the car is fully warmed up all the way before you drive it and especially important in the cold winter. I mean like let the car idle for 10 mins in the morning before driving it out. Driving a car with a heavy oil in dead cold start in the morning is a very good way to pop oil seals. The other thing is that you could of killed the piston rings. If you're smoking a ton and it doesn't go away after a lot of driving then it may be the rings. On a 2jz it's very unlikely to kill a headgasket unless you severely overhear the engine.

Edit: just saw that this post was a month old lol.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 01-05-11 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-05-11, 04:58 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

Update, @ JeffTsai, you should of messaged me! anyways car is good but i found out that the seals hasn't been changed, the mechanic bull****ted me. So yea the car still needs the seals changed and i still have the problem with the OBX headers and CEL light
Old 01-07-11, 01:17 PM
CACressida
Rookie

How do you know its seals? If your 2JZ-GE is losing oil and you think its from a crank seal, then there should be an oil leak spot on the ground below the car. It doesn't hurt to actually look under the vehicle to see if there's any accumulated oil under your car. If theres minimal amounts of oil, then it could be normal wear and tear from lack of maintenance from a minor leak from the valve covers or something over time. If you see a crap load of oil all over the underbody, then there ya go. Rear or front main seals could be shot.

So lets say you don't have an external leak. If your engine is burning oil from the piston rings or valve guide seals, then your smoke should be blueish. If its a white smoke, then i'd be concerned with the head gasket. Remember, it doesn't have to smoke all the time for it to be a Blown Head Gasket aka BHG. Pop your oil cap and look inside of the cap for milkshake-like crap. If you do, that can be a sign of BHG. Do you hear gurgling noises from your heater core when you got the heater on? Do you lose any coolant? The engine doesn't have to overheat to show a BHG issue.

Do a compression check on all cylinders and note each compression reading for consistency. If you go to most shops, they have a special dye they poor in a cylinder and put it on your radiator filler to see if you have exhaust gasses in your coolant. There's many different possibilities. I'm only giving you some ideas to take into consideration to help save your engine. I warn you that if the vehicle does have a BHG, you are endangering your engine. Overheating can warp or crack your aluminum head, but you report no overheating.

If you got coolant going into your crank case, thats terrible for lubrication. Your endangering your rod and main bearings which causes them to deteriorate and later rod knock. Too much to list really. But there's some things for you to keep in mind.
Old 01-09-11, 12:07 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

@ CACressida, theres no lose of coolant or any noises when the heater is on the only thing i can say is either head gasket or the front main seals
Old 01-09-11, 03:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

White smoke in the winter is most likely just water vapor. GS300's make a ton of water vapor for some reason, its pretty insane.

Burnt oil is blue smoke. Do this, warm your car up real well, let someone else drive it and follow behind. Let them put the car into 2nd gear, and floor it. If you see a puff of blue smoke from the exhaust, your engine is burning oil. You will need at minimum to replace valve seals, and if you're lucky that will cure the problem. If you're not so lucky, you'll be looking at replacing piston rings, at which point you might as well just get a new car.

The 2JZ's are pretty **** and unforgiving when it comes to oil maintenance, and if you drove the car extensively without oil, or haven't changed oil at proper intervals, your engine is probably burning oil.

If you determine that it does not burn out, but its just a leak, then its a relatively easy fix - just replace crank and cam seals, and valve cover gaskets.