GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

'98 GS 300 Completes shuts down while driving. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 05:36 PM
dpark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry '98 GS 300 Completes shuts down while driving. Help!

Just had major service done on my '98 GS 300 which has just over 100K miles and has been running great. Few days ago, as I was waiting at a light, the car did a quick sputter as if it was going to shut off. Panel lights came on briefly but car returned to normal. I got to work and when I opened the car, the dome light was very dim. When I tried to start the car, it wouldn't start. A second later, the dome light returned to normal and the car started fine right away.

Following day, I had just started accelerating from a red light and the car just shut itself off. Both engine and all electrical shut down. Luckily, I was able to cruise to the side of the road and put the car in neutral. A second later, car came back to life and started on the first attempt.

I took it straight to the dealer and they've had it for about 3 days and can't seem to find the problem. On board computer doesn't show anything and all electrical seem to test fine.

About 5 years ago, the car wouldn't start one night. Jump starting didn't help either. Next day, it just started on the first try. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong then either.

I really like my GS 300 but need to find the reason why the car would all of a sudden shutoff completely. Can anyone help me? It's still at the dealer and I'd like to give them ideas so I can get it addressed so I can keep the car.

Thanks!

DP
Old 11-20-09, 07:17 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Suddenly shutting down sounds like the fuel pump. Don't know if what you're seeing with the dome light and such is related to this situation or not. When you go to restart and it didn't start, did the car make clicking noise like dead battery or just turnover like normal and not start?
Old 11-20-09, 07:33 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea sounds like fuel pump or fuel filter. i kno my fuel filter is straight clogged and my car was taking like 10 turns to start the car. then the other nite my car wouldnt start at all n i had to get it towed home from work. now im waiting on a new filter. plus as a heads up: lexus diagnostics wont pick up a clogged filter.
Old 11-20-09, 07:35 PM
dpark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timgs300
Suddenly shutting down sounds like the fuel pump. Don't know if what you're seeing with the dome light and such is related to this situation or not. When you go to restart and it didn't start, did the car make clicking noise like dead battery or just turnover like normal and not start?
Everything shut down while I had the accelerating pressed. After I pulled over, it just came back to life and started like there was no issue. No clicking sound, drove normal. When I took it to the dealer, they couldn't restart it. Few min later, started up on the first try.
Old 11-20-09, 08:57 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check lines going to/from battery/alternator.
anything loose?
Old 11-20-09, 09:11 PM
dpark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timgs300
But why would I lose all electrical as well? The completely shut down on me and then just came back to life and started up immediately.
Old 11-20-09, 09:12 PM
dpark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
check lines going to/from battery/alternator.
anything loose?
I'm going to check it again but supposedly the dealer checked all electrical while they had it for 3 days.
Old 11-21-09, 07:08 AM
StealthGS
Driver

Yeah like Coco-bun stated that should be the first thing to check. Check the amps on the battery, And check all necessary wiring associated with the battery i.e. Terminals, Ground, Positive power cable etc.

I would agree with the guys guess above on the fuel pump.....But there is no reason you should lose all power unless you have a faulty battery or faulty alternator. Which leads me to believe you have an issue with the charging system. Most likely its something simple.

Again I would check all the basics first. I had a similar problem in my GS430 she was shutting off randomly. Problem was the power cable was loose and was also grounding out on the hood.
Old 11-21-09, 08:26 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthGS
I would agree with the guys guess above on the fuel pump.....But there is no reason you should lose all power unless you have a faulty battery or faulty alternator. Which leads me to believe you have an issue with the charging system. Most likely its something simple.

Again I would check all the basics first. I had a similar problem in my GS430 she was shutting off randomly. Problem was the power cable was loose and was also grounding out on the hood.

+1. If it's just a fuel pump, I think electrical should still be running off the battery. but since you said no panel lights, made me believe the battery was drained out.

I actually had a very similiar experience and I feel your pain. The culprit? A loose positive cable going to the battery post Check out my old thread. The thread ends sounding like it's the alternator but it was just a loose connection.
Old 07-05-24, 02:23 AM
LaBarbra
1st Gear

Default Pulley or serpentine belt

Originally Posted by dpark
Just had major service done on my '98 GS 300 which has just over 100K miles and has been running great. Few days ago, as I was waiting at a light, the car did a quick sputter as if it was going to shut off. Panel lights came on briefly but car returned to normal. I got to work and when I opened the car, the dome light was very dim. When I tried to start the car, it wouldn't start. A second later, the dome light returned to normal and the car started fine right away.

Following day, I had just started accelerating from a red light and the car just shut itself off. Both engine and all electrical shut down. Luckily, I was able to cruise to the side of the road and put the car in neutral. A second later, car came back to life and started on the first attempt.

I took it straight to the dealer and they've had it for about 3 days and can't seem to find the problem. On board computer doesn't show anything and all electrical seem to test fine.

About 5 years ago, the car wouldn't start one night. Jump starting didn't help either. Next day, it just started on the first try. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong then either.

I really like my GS 300 but need to find the reason why the car would all of a sudden shutoff completely. Can anyone help me? It's still at the dealer and I'd like to give them ideas so I can get it addressed so I can keep the car.

Thanks!

DP
Several times my daughter has had this problem. it is always been either the harmonic balancer, tention pulling or the serpentine belt. Mechanics kept trying to tell us it was the battery or the alternator because the alternator was not putting out enough power but really it was because the pulleys were not moving fast or thread had came a little loose on the Belt causing it to look like it was moving at the regular speed but it really wasn't. They're going to keep saying it's electrical issue but it's not. One of the pulleys are not right or you need to change your belt
Old 07-05-24, 07:30 AM
lexsc3
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your battery terminals if they are loose. The battery terminal connections that Lexus/Toyota used are prone to stretching out over time and becoming loose. They also aren't completely solid so the contact points are smaller than some other battery terminals. If the mechanic loosen the terminals and tighten them back down they could still be wobbly.

​​​​
Old 07-06-24, 03:36 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsc3
Check your battery terminals if they are loose. The battery terminal connections that Lexus/Toyota used are prone to stretching out over time and becoming loose. They also aren't completely solid so the contact points are smaller than some other battery terminals. If the mechanic loosen the terminals and tighten them back down they could still be wobbly.

​​​​
if it’s running and driving, you could completely remove the battery and it wouldn’t shut off, it wouldn’t miss a beat once it’s running. It’s a short somewhere, but closer to the ignition or ECU or something and not the battery itself.