GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

AWESOME factory Nav alternative!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 08:48 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its good for dudes that dont got nav...
plus wouldnt it come at a discount since its a group buy?
I see it has a lot of functions. i think more than the old navi's ever could.

just my opinion though
Old 11-23-09, 10:19 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EN_VY
2 grand? Ill pass on that one.. Looks hella OEM though...
ten characters
Old 11-24-09, 07:42 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I myself would love to have this.

Check out the email I got today, chronologically it goes from bottom to top.
______________________________________________________________________________________
Dear Evan Schoups,
We have sent requests to our engineering department. They will evaluate the requests and hope they will start developing units for 2nd-Gen Lexus cars. But I can't promise anything until I see the actual units coming out.

We will let you know once such units are available or you may also check with our website at http://www.flyaudio.us

Thank you.
Victor Du
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Schoups, Evan wrote:
Hi Victor,
Do you think you will be making any units for the 98-05 lexus in the future?
Evan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2009 4:10 PM
To: Schoups, Evan
Subject: Re: navigation for lexus

Dear Evan Schoups,
Thank you for contacting FlyAudio.

The E8039NAVI-2 is designed for 2009 Lexus IS250. Currently we don't have units for (1998-2005) Lexus cars.

Thank you.
Victor Du
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Schoups, Evan wrote:
Would you ever consider making this product:
http://www.flyaudio.net/product_id.asp?id=196

for a 2nd generation lexus gs300? (1998-2005)

I would purchase one and I know there would be heavy interest in it from other gs300 drivers. (clublexus)
thanks

Evan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-24-09 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-24-09, 07:47 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by j_version_
ten characters
I agree. for around 2k, I would pass as well. Lots of alternatives for cheaper than this.
Old 11-24-09, 07:49 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

2k is MSRP.

and while there are alternative Navi/DVD units... they do NOT integrate climate control, TMPS, reverse cameras, all the factory stuff and a plethora of aftermarket goodies (and you can still keep the CD changer)

plus they look a MILLION times better than any aftermarket headunit install I have ever seen. They all look like chopped screens glued in place.. 'crap.'

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-24-09 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-24-09, 07:54 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you read properly, as I stated above, I'm just saying the product is just pricey, as it would be around 2k.

Last edited by CPMD; 11-24-09 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-24-09, 09:32 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For guys with older cars, this is a great way to get some new electronics infusion. We take for granted that newer cars comes standard or has options for some of these: Nav, bluetooth, TPMS, iPod, USB, MP3 ... Heck, my wife's little Mazda3 has Nav and TPMS built in.

I have a 98 car bought in late 97 so I bought in early. Electronics-wise, the car has been left in the dust. Yes, there are other aftermarket solutions for less. Try to, however, bring together all of this in one solution, make it look OEM, and make it work like OEM and you'll find it will be more costly.

I dislike having gadgets hanging out all over the dash, console, ... I have a car with Nav but no TPMS and is looking into an aftermarket solution. I don't like that there will be another unit sitting around but it does not make sense to replace everything.

For my GS, however, I would not have liked a new HU plus more displays. I've only just heard of FlyAudio based on the thread that led to the mentioned GB but from what I've seen, it looks like a perfect solution for me.

Everyone has opinions and needs. I welcome the negative criticisms, which seems so far only based on pricing and not the unit itself. This helps my thought process and so far, nothing has been said that I have not thought about. I'm still in.
Old 11-24-09, 10:28 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Members, I've discussed with NemeGuero that this thread can be about encouragement for folks to sign up to gather interest (as sold through our CL vendor Automax) and discussion of the pros and cons of this new potential product compared to OEM or aftermarket navigation systems. This will allow our members to make an informed decision in their support of this product.

Big plusses for this system (based on what the 2IS version does) vs other aftermarket navigation products I'm familiar with is that this one appears to:

1) control the AC system
2) has TPMS monitioring capabilities
3) much better integrated OEM fit & look vs double din solutions even with a good surround.

Price if its based on what I'm hearing of the 2IS GB is a good bit less than the $1999k msrp.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-24-09 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-24-09, 02:19 PM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

Great to see you guys are organizing your effort. I hope that Fly Audio comes thru and makes a unit for the 2GS!!! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!
Old 11-24-09, 02:20 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Just keep bugging them for us! Let them know that there are a few people who are seriously interested in it!
Old 11-27-09, 11:52 AM
vbacky
Rookie

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
2k is MSRP.

and while there are alternative Navi/DVD units... they do NOT integrate climate control, TMPS, reverse cameras, all the factory stuff and a plethora of aftermarket goodies (and you can still keep the CD changer)

plus they look a MILLION times better than any aftermarket headunit install I have ever seen. They all look like chopped screens glued in place.. 'crap.'
I currently have gs430 01 without nav...If I were to purchase this would my current cd changer be able to play dvds or would I have to purchase a new one that plays or read dvds? And also would it be able to play mp3s?
Old 11-27-09, 12:55 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

i wonder why aftermart navi units doesn't intergrate with the climate control on the lexus. can you imagine an alpine unit doing something like that? the OS would be so amazing
Old 11-28-09, 12:21 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great product! I hope they do respond to the demand for us 2GS guys!
Old 11-28-09, 03:57 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
2k is MSRP.

If you buy the double din kit from Carson it does not look like chopped screen glued in. You can get a $450 Pioneer Touch screen 7" unit with built in Garmin Nav, Sattelite capable, Ipod capable, back up camera and more, for under 700 for all. Thanks but no thanks, its def nice to have something thats OEM like but how many people would go for this?
Old 11-29-09, 03:13 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
Thanks but no thanks, its def nice to have something thats OEM like but how many people would go for this?
Enough people that there is this interest thread. It is definitely not for everyone, but I am sure there will be buyers.

Quick Reply: AWESOME factory Nav alternative!