GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

AWESOME factory Nav alternative!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 10:40 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF and I say IF this goes through when is the earliest we can even expect these being available to the public?

I mean a ball park figure like 6 months? a year?
definitely hope its months though.

I want one of these, but I know its not cheap so I want to know when I should start saving.
Old 12-02-09, 11:55 AM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo

Again with changing tech, SD cards are not that expensive to get 4GB, 8GB, ... Would I be assuming too much that we can copy the map info from the 1GB SD to a larger one and that the system can address the additional space for music? movies? ...

Mat, excuse the questions as I know you are just a middleman at this point. You seem to, however, have a direct line to them as well as having some info that they passed along. Maybe we can use the thread as a sounding board and FlyAudio can directly see what some of their potential clients are looking for. They can then determine what is feasible to build.

When I was building software, customer feedback in the design stage was crucial but oftentimes costly. Here is a free way for FlyAudio to get the info. I am sure there will be people who wants the moon for next to nothing $ but hopefully, FlyAudio can build a system that will be good enough for most.

Here is my wishlist (although some are already in FlyAudio's current system):

Nav - Standard and upgradeable
Larger screen than OEM - touchscreen touchscreen is there, I will ask about a possibility of a larger screen
Strong Radio Tuner - Testing it now
RDS support - Coming in next software update in early 2010
MP3 - It does play mp3 off of the SD card
SD for map separate from SD for music/movies - You can use half of the SD card not set aside for nav maps for media like music, pictures, etc
Software movie player - I will recommend this
Bluetooth Built in to this system
TPMS System is capable, but waiting on module - hopefully early 2010
Aux I/O Checking on this
Mp3 changer (in-dash?) Checking on this
Chris, great post, thanks for your input. I am happy to help where I can and provide support to the community. There is a bit of a language barrier with the Fly Audio guys (which is fine, they just have a lot of knowledge to share and we wall want to make sure we get that info correctly) so I am glad that I can help get the information out there a little easier. The guys from Fly Audio do monitor this forum, but the more voices adding input the better, so I am happy to pass along this information.

Originally Posted by NemeGuero

Does it have internal memory? Could we load the maps 1X and then not have to occupy the SD slot after that? That would be rad.

PS. I hope it doesn't say "CLIME" for climate control. haha
I am going to double check on the internal memory, but I am fairly sure it does not. haha and the climate control button is labeled "Climate"

Originally Posted by kosi718
IF and I say IF this goes through when is the earliest we can even expect these being available to the public?

I mean a ball park figure like 6 months? a year?
definitely hope its months though.

I want one of these, but I know its not cheap so I want to know when I should start saving.
I would start saving now, but you probably have atleast 6 months. Once we get the Fly Audio for the IS 250/350 going in the next couple weeks, I will start pushing harder for the 2GS version. I just know how long it takes to fit and manufacturer units, so I am just trying to be realistic. I will pass along any details I have when I get them!
Old 12-02-09, 12:27 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the photos of the IS version it says "CLIME." hahaha

and yeah, just start saving now. $5 every week or something. Put it in a savings account.
Old 12-02-09, 02:04 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

okay now i forgot to ask what would be the price range of this?
the same as the is? around 2k?
thats would help me figure out how much I should start to out aside
Old 12-02-09, 02:37 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

I would guess that the costs would wind up being the same. Its the same product essentially just for a different application.

Automax said that his group buy price for these is well below MSRP ($2k) by the way..

Is there anything wrong with over-saving?
Old 12-04-09, 08:23 AM
obium896
Driver School Candidate

E-mail sent. I would definitely buy one of these!
Old 12-05-09, 04:37 PM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

Looks like development will begin soon. Evan is sending out his unit to China so Fly Audio's engineers can start building a unit. Edward from Fly Audio said that developing a new model takes about 3 months total, so look for a new unit in March/April of next year. Thanks to everyone who sent in Emails requesting this and to Evan for helping get the movement going!
Old 12-05-09, 08:49 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great news. Thanks for the update Mat.
Old 12-06-09, 01:44 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is awesome news for us that have waited ;P

also excellent questions , Thanks guys and can't wait for the new look for our cars and all the options like a newer vehicle
Old 12-06-09, 05:05 AM
2jzism
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm all in!

Man I have been wanting someone thing like this since I got my GS. Early this year I was searching around on the net, and I put in a request with a salvage yard for a complete nav unit (this was before I found out that swapping in a unit wouldn't work) and I got a call from an other member from here on CL someone that has and does OEM retrofits, about 2 months later when I was ready to make my purchase there was no way of getting back in contact with this person.

So this is why Im all in on this! I just wonder how close it will match the dash of the 2gen GS.

You know what would be awesome, and I'm pretty sure its something that Fly can do. The user would have control over the color output of the unit, I've changed the light color of my GS from the factory green over to red. Just putting it out there, so the user could change the color to what ever they like.
Old 12-06-09, 02:41 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

wow the power of CL this is great news, I hope I have enough $ for this by time march or april comes about.
Old 12-06-09, 03:42 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New user just posted his set up over seas but look at the stock unit Minus his top tv player,

I love the stock look IMO of this one too
Old 12-06-09, 08:46 PM
NIXmx
Driver

I have the OEM NAV. Would I be able to use the existing GPS antenna? Also, I read on the web site that the "new" units use a separate unit for the CPU and GPS. Would the new GPS unit replace the OEM unit? As in unplug and unbolt the OEM unit and replace it with the new GPS computer using existing wiring. I know my pet peeves about the OEM unit are: viewing angle, color scheme (teal, really?), size, and lack of maps. As you probably guessed I have a '98.

Would the New unit be a revised '98-'00 design, or the wide screen '01-'05 model? The newer design already has the larger screen as a few members have asked for. I am also ok without having a cassette player. IMP, if you still listen to cassettes, you are not up to par with buying a $2k head unit.... I think that cassette space could be used for the new buttons. Such as a slot for the SD card, USB port, etc. Or as I mentioned above, put the SD in the trunk.

Just my thoughts. I think this is better upgrade for '98-'00 owners than to retro fit the '01+ unit. I would much rather buy this than a set of coil overs or nice wheels. I live in Las Vegas, the city of never ending construction, and I need current maps.
Old 12-08-09, 10:17 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by VipDout
New user just posted his set up over seas but look at the stock unit Minus his top tv player,

I love the stock look IMO of this one too
u serious? i think that looks tacky although the idea/concept is good maybe its just the tv over the tv but its not my thing
IMHO

Last edited by sakataj; 12-08-09 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-14-09, 07:47 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

I shipped out my factory units to China today!

GO FLYAUDIO and Automax Service!

Quick Reply: AWESOME factory Nav alternative!