GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Crackdown on "super bright" HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-02, 09:21 AM
cgatch
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crackdown on "super bright" HIDs?

Has anybody heard about this possible crackdown on supposedly illegal HIDs? I just caught the tail end of the news while changing radio stations on the way to work. I have surfed the net but can't find anything.
Old 05-06-02, 09:26 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Super bright ???

HIDs are basically ALL the same "brightness", some have a wider color spectrum therefore better nightime color rendition.

I suspect that when the "crackdown" comes, if it ever does, it will be over the lack of self-leveling on the after-market systems.
Old 05-06-02, 10:21 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...complaints.htm
Old 05-06-02, 10:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Default Re: Super bright ???

Originally posted by wwest
I suspect that when the "crackdown" comes, if it ever does, it will be over the lack of self-leveling on the after-market systems.
Agreed, and as it should.
Old 05-06-02, 12:22 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

I bet you that out of 1,800 complains about 1,300 are people that are having problems with Honda Civics, or better yet any Ford products, with "fake" HID super-whites. Also, I bet that 1,700 people out of 1,800 that complained would confuse the real properly adjusted HID with Ford Taurus or Mustang with cheap Super-Whites.

So, maybe NHTSA should first do the study about people understanding the difference between real HID or fake lights before trying to take this any further.

Just my $.02

P.S. I never got blinded by luxury/real HID, while 95% times I actually got blinded the Ford product was the cause.
Old 05-06-02, 02:04 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default And the difference is ??

Of what difference does it make?

Aftermarket "off-road" BRIGHTER bulbs or HIDs not properly "leveled", both should be out-lawed.
Old 05-06-02, 02:13 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ChrisK
I bet you that out of 1,800 complains about 1,300 are people that are having problems with Honda Civics, or better yet any Ford products, with "fake" HID super-whites. Also, I bet that 1,700 people out of 1,800 that complained would confuse the real properly adjusted HID with Ford Taurus or Mustang with cheap Super-Whites.

So, maybe NHTSA should first do the study about people understanding the difference between real HID or fake lights before trying to take this any further.

Just my $.02

P.S. I never got blinded by luxury/real HID, while 95% times I actually got blinded the Ford product was the cause.
out of 1,800 complains about 10 complaints are prolly about my HID's lol haha suckers ! Blind ya! ha

my gs has OEM hids wit out auto leveling.
and its pointed all the way up, no way to adjust em i broke the leveling motor tabs trying to center the hids (oops) till any CrACkDoWn, who ever is getting blinded would have to deal with it

sorry

Last edited by CamRen; 05-06-02 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-06-02, 02:30 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

damn it

why do we have to take responsibility for people who made their lights look all the way to the signes instead of road??

i mean.. it doesn't really matter weither its halogen or hid if lights doesn't aim on the road then nothin will help..
Old 05-06-02, 02:31 PM
alexus
Pole Position

oh and another thing.. whoever complaining about this.. i'm pretty much sure that they not always can see the difference between halogeen white/blue lights and real hid
Old 05-06-02, 02:37 PM
alexus
Pole Position

http://vbulletin.alexus.org/showthre...id=662#post662
Old 05-06-02, 02:39 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by CamRen
my gs has OEM hids wit out auto leveling.
and its pointed all the way up, no way to adjust em i broke the leveling motor tabs trying to center the hids (oops) till any CrACkDoWn, who ever is getting blinded would have to deal with it

sorry
Unless you have to deal with it when an oncomming car becomes blinded by your lights, they crash, then sue you; only easily to find out your headlights were not properly aligned / broken, and you are at fault.

sorry
Old 05-06-02, 02:59 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Even properly aimed and aligned, HIDs produce more glare/scatter than quartz halogens. The phenomenon (from my reading) isn't well understood, since the pattern cutoffs are quite sharp. But it still ain't too bad, even with these aged eyes.

Mercedes HIDs seem to produce more scatter than Lexus/BMW/Acura (unscientific study based on my observation of oncoming traffic) but the worst offenders are still older GM DRLs.

Makes me want to take crowbar to highbeams. (Calm.....OM......Ommmmmmmmmm..........Ommmmmmmmm................too much road rage..........calm). Ok, I'm better now.
Old 05-06-02, 09:32 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Doc,

meditation is good for body and soul...
Old 05-06-02, 09:42 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Im sure they wont crack down on lexus's or the higher end cars, just because its a known fact that they come stock with the car. So I wouldnt worry about it too much , now if you have a civic with HID's then I would start worrying
Old 05-06-02, 10:15 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by biggie27
Im sure they wont crack down on lexus's or the higher end cars, just because its a known fact that they come stock with the car. So I wouldnt worry about it too much , now if you have a civic with HID's then I would start worrying
I agree with Biggie, just tell the cop it came with the car. My friend's a cop and they don't really bother with high-end cars. "Sorry Ociffer, but that's what the car came with"

Quick Reply: Crackdown on "super bright" HIDs?