GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car is getting raggedy....wth

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-09, 08:27 PM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is getting raggedy....wth

It's seems like every few weeks, something is tearing up on my car. Have any of you guys had the same issues shown in the pics below with your GS?

Paint/over layer tearing off of roof molding

Old 11-26-09, 09:12 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

I get that leak on the driverside once in a while, depends on how my door was closed.
Old 11-26-09, 09:34 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting. It is all in that same area. Was the car involved in an accident in that area before? Possibly a bad repair job? Sorry to hear your troubles. When it rains it pours (no pun intended)
Old 11-26-09, 09:43 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that paint peeling I'm experiencing on the same trim. I replaced the trim 2 years ago cause it had a small dent. I bought the part from lexus and it comes pre-painted. Now its starting to come up....so I know its not old age on mine.
Old 11-26-09, 11:55 PM
rodneyk
Rookie

same problem with the roof moulding
Old 11-27-09, 02:49 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

bad prepping from factory?
Old 11-27-09, 08:45 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Maybe the windshield has been replaced..
Old 11-27-09, 08:57 AM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cpmd
Interesting. It is all in that same area. Was the car involved in an accident in that area before? Possibly a bad repair job? Sorry to hear your troubles. When it rains it pours (no pun intended)
Actually the first 2 issues are on the driver's side where as the leak issue is on the passanger side. The leak happens normally under heavy rain. I'm not sure if the car has ever been in an accident. The Carfax is clean....however we know Carfax is only as good as what is reported.
Old 11-27-09, 09:00 AM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedaddic
that paint peeling I'm experiencing on the same trim. I replaced the trim 2 years ago cause it had a small dent. I bought the part from lexus and it comes pre-painted. Now its starting to come up....so I know its not old age on mine.
How much did you pay for the Door trim (exterior)
Old 11-27-09, 09:03 AM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rodneyk
same problem with the roof moulding
Hmmm...this seems to be a common issue I just wasn't aware of. I wonder what you guys are doing to fix it? I'd hate to have to order another 1 from Lexus as 1) I'm sure it'll cost a lot for that little thing, and 2) chances are the paint isn't going to match up due to weathering.
Old 11-27-09, 09:43 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by truenoboy
Actually the first 2 issues are on the driver's side where as the leak issue is on the passanger side. The leak happens normally under heavy rain. I'm not sure if the car has ever been in an accident. The Carfax is clean....however we know Carfax is only as good as what is reported.
Yeah I hear you, I had a friend who purchased a slightly used car, with a perfect car fax. Low and behold, we took it to my body shop guy, as rust was forming on one of his door panels...My body shop guy said that there was repairs done on it previously

Sorry to hear about these problems man...those pre-painted rails are not cheap either...I think they run between 200-300 bucks.
Old 11-27-09, 11:46 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It was about $114 a side. painted. The paint wasn't too off on my DPW, but you're right, its not going to match perfect. Even if you bought a new piece it has a chance of peeling...mine is just about 2 years old.
Old 11-28-09, 09:36 AM
rodneyk
Rookie

I haven't done anything. It looks like ****ty prep from the factory though, cuz for some reason the paint is coming up in that little gap between the roof and the moulding (the side closer to the door). It hasn't torn or anything, it just seems to be separating from the moulding in one big sheet. I had to use a credit card and push the paint back down into the gap. My car's 12 years old, so if i were to do anything, i'd just respray the whole damn thing.

Originally Posted by truenoboy
Hmmm...this seems to be a common issue I just wasn't aware of. I wonder what you guys are doing to fix it? I'd hate to have to order another 1 from Lexus as 1) I'm sure it'll cost a lot for that little thing, and 2) chances are the paint isn't going to match up due to weathering.
Old 11-28-09, 03:48 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your windshield has been replaced most likely and the seal is leaking(probably was a shoddy job just guessing this was my case), just had the windshield replaced on mine and it was leaking pretty bad i suggest you take care of it sooner then later because the window frame is rusting if its getting wet.
Old 11-29-09, 10:19 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed once and a blue moon that passenger side top molding i had one drip of water on the inside of the windshield but will take closer look as the weather gets bad.

Not just yours but maybe a defect

Quick Reply: Car is getting raggedy....wth