GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Have about $12k to buy a GS300/400/430? Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 05:13 PM
BayToLA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have about $12k to buy a GS300/400/430? Suggestions

I have a pending sale for my old car and I'm looking to buy a GS. I'm selling the car for 12k and I just want to spend it on a reliable but fun car. My current car is a 96 Impala SS and it's modded so it has some serious power but I'm looking for something different where I don't have oil under my fingertips every weekend. I've always loved the GS's.

So my dilemma. I don't really want to put more money into a car at this time. I've seen some nice low mileage 03-05 GS300's go for around my range. GS400's obviously are 98-00 and they are within my price range. I can also find a GS430 in that range also but it will be a higher mileage car. I don't think I'm even going to consider anything with over 100k miles on it, even though I know Lex's can go forever.

I want some suggestions on what you would do with this money if you were in my position.
Old 11-30-09, 06:07 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the 98-00 are harder to find with under 100k miles. but they are around

and the 01+ 430s in that price range are going to have about 100- 125k miles
so if you want to get a 430 you might have to broaden your horizons in terms of mileage...

and if you are looking to do the modding the 300's are decent
its all in your taste.

but if it were me though, i'd get a 400 with low miles
Old 11-30-09, 06:19 PM
BayToLA
Driver School Candidate

To be honest, I'm going to try to do NO mods to the car, which means that I'm still probably going to do a few things here and there but nothing major at all. I've modded this Impala so much that I just want something stock and fun that I don't have to mod any more. That's why I'm thinking that I probably should find a V8 because the Impala is fast and I don't think I can step it down that much.

My mom has a pristine '99 ES300 and it's a bit too slow for me so I hope a GS300 is faster.. Gonna look now
Old 11-30-09, 06:28 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

I sell you mine...

Last edited by JoelGs; 11-30-09 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 06:50 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BayToLA
To be honest, I'm going to try to do NO mods to the car, which means that I'm still probably going to do a few things here and there but nothing major at all. I've modded this Impala so much that I just want something stock and fun that I don't have to mod any more. That's why I'm thinking that I probably should find a V8 because the Impala is fast and I don't think I can step it down that much.

My mom has a pristine '99 ES300 and it's a bit too slow for me so I hope a GS300 is faster.. Gonna look now

well if thats the route, and you want some power, go for the v8 400 or 430
300's are kinda sluggish if they arent modded.
Old 11-30-09, 07:32 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely get a 430. Im pretty sure you can get one with under 100k. Prices have really dropped. STAY AWAY FROM THE GS300 if you are looking for some power.. especially coming from a modded ss.
Old 11-30-09, 07:44 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GS400 if you're frugal (nothing wrong with pocketing some of the dough)

GS430 if you want the newer interior

Buying with over 100k+ miles will give you a break on pricing too.
Old 11-30-09, 08:10 PM
nokcy21
Driver

Get a 430 got mine with 50k on it for less money you have and it was an 04.just gotta find them
Old 11-30-09, 11:01 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly there's nothing wrong with buying one with over 100k miles. These cars will run forever if you just remember to do the oil change and maintenance. Just find a car that is clean body, no wrecks, good condition interior, and that's really all you need to do. If the car is in that good of condition, chances are pretty good that the previous owner did all the maintenance on time. Even a car with higher mileage should have no problems running for a long time to come.
Old 11-30-09, 11:09 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

getting one with over 100k in miles surely means the car has been broken in, but it does come with a higher likelihood of breaking down, so maintenance will have to be top priority. before checking out a gs that you like, id suggest bringing a mechanic that you trust (not some random jiffy lube dude). that way he can check the body, engine, and electronics all at once to see if it is worth dropping the dough on.

my parents and i needed a secondary car back when i was in elementary school, and our mechanic checked out an es300 with 90k+ miles. needless to say, even though it passed the initial inspection from the mechanic, it broke down not a mere three days after. thank goodness we didnt purchase it right away.

take your time and keep in mind that you shouldnt purchase the first one you see with a great deal. even though it might be a steal, it might also be one worth passing up on if you plan on using it for a long period of time. good luck in your search man!
Old 12-01-09, 08:38 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

If your coming from a V8, you might want to get another V8. I bought a 2002 GS430 3 months ago with 80,000 miles for $17,000 out the door. I think I overpaid, but I had been looking for a GS430 for about 6 months. Theres a GS400 for like $14,000 on autotrader right now with under 50,000 miles. Im sure you might be able to get the person down. Its in southern California. If you can find a GS430 in your price range I would go for it. Next would be the GS400, and finally the GS300.
Old 12-01-09, 08:56 AM
BayToLA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JoelGs
I sell you mine...
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Are you? I might be interested

Originally Posted by kosi718
well if thats the route, and you want some power, go for the v8 400 or 430
300's are kinda sluggish if they arent modded.
Yeah I'm really not looking to mod. After doing a complete top end and doing a 6-speed swap on my SS, I don't want to hold another wrench again for a long time!

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Definitely get a 430. Im pretty sure you can get one with under 100k. Prices have really dropped. STAY AWAY FROM THE GS300 if you are looking for some power.. especially coming from a modded ss.
I think I can get a 430 with under 100k for that price but it's going to take some looking and I might have to travel to pick it up. I think I already knew that the 300 wouldn't be enough power coming from my SS but I just needed someone to tell me.

Originally Posted by werewolf
GS400 if you're frugal (nothing wrong with pocketing some of the dough)

GS430 if you want the newer interior

Buying with over 100k+ miles will give you a break on pricing too.
Yeah I wouldn't mind pocketing some change if the 400 is clean enough. I have to think long and hard about it if one comes along because I don't know if buying a 10 year old car is that great of an idea.

Originally Posted by nokcy21
Get a 430 got mine with 50k on it for less money you have and it was an 04.just gotta find them
Wow. I would buy one in a second if I could get a deal like that. How are you liking it so far?

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Honestly there's nothing wrong with buying one with over 100k miles. These cars will run forever if you just remember to do the oil change and maintenance. Just find a car that is clean body, no wrecks, good condition interior, and that's really all you need to do. If the car is in that good of condition, chances are pretty good that the previous owner did all the maintenance on time. Even a car with higher mileage should have no problems running for a long time to come.
One thing I know about Lexus is that they run forever. My mom had a 91 LS400 with 180k on the clock that ran like new until I got T-boned by a Civic. I walked out without a scratch. The Civic looked like a tin can.

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
getting one with over 100k in miles surely means the car has been broken in, but it does come with a higher likelihood of breaking down, so maintenance will have to be top priority. before checking out a gs that you like, id suggest bringing a mechanic that you trust (not some random jiffy lube dude). that way he can check the body, engine, and electronics all at once to see if it is worth dropping the dough on.

my parents and i needed a secondary car back when i was in elementary school, and our mechanic checked out an es300 with 90k+ miles. needless to say, even though it passed the initial inspection from the mechanic, it broke down not a mere three days after. thank goodness we didnt purchase it right away.

take your time and keep in mind that you shouldnt purchase the first one you see with a great deal. even though it might be a steal, it might also be one worth passing up on if you plan on using it for a long period of time. good luck in your search man!
Thanks a lot. Good advice my friend. I'd hate to buy a car that doesn't run right out of the gate. My friend has had his 05 545i 6 speed that is an awesome car except for the fact that it vibrates like crazy when braking and has some electrical problems. One of the reasons I'm not even looking at bimmers.
Old 12-01-09, 09:34 AM
BayToLA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by COOLIS
If your coming from a V8, you might want to get another V8. I bought a 2002 GS430 3 months ago with 80,000 miles for $17,000 out the door. I think I overpaid, but I had been looking for a GS430 for about 6 months. Theres a GS400 for like $14,000 on autotrader right now with under 50,000 miles. Im sure you might be able to get the person down. Its in southern California. If you can find a GS430 in your price range I would go for it. Next would be the GS400, and finally the GS300.
I don't think you really overpaid. I think these cars vary in price a lot, more than most cars I would say, and I'm trying to get more information to really discover why. I saw that GS on autotrader. He's close to me and it's the color combo I like. I might go and check it out but I don't know if they would take $12 for it because it's really low mileage, but then again nokcy21 got an 04 with the same mileage for less so who knows. It's the color that I want too.
Old 12-01-09, 11:12 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah I would've bought that Silver one if it was for sale a few months back. Take him cash. Cash talks and bulls*** walks. Everyone says the 1st generation GPS system is useless, but in LA it works fine. My GS430 has the 2001 disc, and I haven't had a problem. All the streets are there because LA is old ha. When I go to Temecula/Murietta a lot of streets aren't there due to it being a newer area. Even if I did overpay, Im in love with the car so don't care. I plan on keeping it until it dies. Keep us updated.
Old 12-01-09, 11:50 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BayToLA
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Are you? I might be interested
I was thinking bout selling mine and maybe starting to drive my E55 more often...LoL...

Quick Reply: Have about $12k to buy a GS300/400/430? Suggestions