GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-10 | 12:44 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by robertoyou
whats up jokster! long time!
are you saying all hids require a 12v or just the hi beams? i have my hid fogs connected just through the factory wiring, no direct 12 volt source at all.

so the only way to get hi beam/drl functionality is to use a harness?
no. pretty much everything in the car runs on 12v. the factory fog plug you hooked to the hid kit has 'direct' 12v source, whatcha think all the wires running throughout the car are for? They all have 12v going through them. Absolutely no reason to run another wire to the battery

without problems, you can not run hid hi and keep drl
Old 11-20-10 | 12:10 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
no. pretty much everything in the car runs on 12v. the factory fog plug you hooked to the hid kit has 'direct' 12v source, whatcha think all the wires running throughout the car are for? They all have 12v going through them. Absolutely no reason to run another wire to the battery

without problems, you can not run hid hi and keep drl
well know everything has a 12 volt source. you cant have anything turn on or run constantly with out power to it. lol but im just saying my hids dont have a direct 12 volt cus ive read and even seen youtube videos that show/say that some hid kits need an EXTRA 12 volt source connected to it, meaning that you need to run another small power wire to ballast yourself.

but i guess thats a little off topic.

so a harness wont let me have hid high beams and drls? =(
i thought i read a post that someone on here said they had high beam/drls running with a harness and he had no problem (or this is what i understood from the post) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...te-drls-2.html (post 19)
Old 11-20-10 | 06:47 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Has anyone installed/modded DRL lights on a models that didn't have factory DRL like on the 98 models?

I'm figuring out a way to mod DRL LEDs on 98 models that didn't come with them. Make them turn on whenever the key is in ignition, however when headlights turn on, they will power off.

Attached Thumbnails daytime running lights-drl-mod-layout.jpg  

Last edited by rgarjr; 01-20-11 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-22-10 | 07:10 PM
ShansLexGS
Driver School Candidate

so what's the overall verdict here fellas? I just ordered a DDM 55W 9K HID kit and also want to match hi beam and small corner bulb. I also don't want any added drama to achieve the look. is is simplest to go LED for both hi beam and corner bulb? for clarity and to keep it in one post, what are the sizes? thanks.
Old 11-22-10 | 07:22 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rgarjr
Has anyone installed/modded DRL lights on a models that didn't have factory DRL like on the 98 models?
I'd like to know this also.
Old 11-22-10 | 07:48 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by robertoyou
well know everything has a 12 volt source. you cant have anything turn on or run constantly with out power to it. lol but im just saying my hids dont have a direct 12 volt cus ive read and even seen youtube videos that show/say that some hid kits need an EXTRA 12 volt source connected to it, meaning that you need to run another small power wire to ballast yourself.

but i guess thats a little off topic.

so a harness wont let me have hid high beams and drls? =(
i thought i read a post that someone on here said they had high beam/drls running with a harness and he had no problem (or this is what i understood from the post) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...te-drls-2.html (post 19)
He's not using HID's on his high beams bro. Looks like that kit that vleds have (which is sold out BTW) does the mod that has been posted on CL to do the same, just makes it much simpler. However, since its sold out, I cant read exact specs on what it does:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...01806-1-3.html

Originally Posted by ShansLexGS
so what's the overall verdict here fellas? I just ordered a DDM 55W 9K HID kit and also want to match hi beam and small corner bulb. I also don't want any added drama to achieve the look. is is simplest to go LED for both hi beam and corner bulb? for clarity and to keep it in one post, what are the sizes? thanks.
what did you order that for, your highs or lows? There really isnt any LED's that will match a 9k. The closest LED will match the 6k and contrast bad with any others. You can get blue LED's to match the 9k, but still wont look right and are illegal. Not to mention, 9k is gonna have horrible output. I currently have like 15 sets of HID's that I collected while trying to match colors and ended up staying with 6k hi's and lows and got the LED's to match inner 194 and sidemarker 194's
Old 11-22-10 | 08:05 PM
ShansLexGS
Driver School Candidate

correction... it was the 8k kit... purchased for lows

Last edited by ShansLexGS; 11-22-10 at 08:08 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 11-22-10 | 08:20 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

correction... it was the 8k kit... purchased for lows
yea, thats still pretty blue... lol, yea didnt think about it 9k doesnt exist ha ha. I originally was using 8k, but were way too blue and didnt match the LED's... I just checked V-leds and they title them as 6k now and not just white. One thing I learned is that when you see all the colors separately, you think they'll match, but then when you put them all together, they look horrible. Its amazing how one color can make another look so opposite:

5000k projectors, 6000k led side markers

8000k projectors, 6000k halo

Old 11-22-10 | 08:34 PM
ShansLexGS
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure you're right... I'm not looking to put on a lighting show however, just wanted something better than the 11 yr old halogens! I'll likely go w/ 3K fogs and hopefully I can find yellow capsule housings too... I can't use the hi's if I switch to LED in connection w/ lo's being on at night anyway right? Miyagi say, "Daniel-san... win, lose... no matta."
Old 11-22-10 | 08:59 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure what you asked LoL. but if I think I know what it is, theres a mod for all that
Old 11-22-10 | 09:49 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Mr Jokster, what year is your GS? Have u heard anyone mod DRL on the models that didn't come with them? I wouldn't mind installing some V-LEDs 9005s.
Old 11-23-10 | 12:57 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rgarjr
Mr Jokster, what year is your GS? Have u heard anyone mod DRL on the models that didn't come with them? I wouldn't mind installing some V-LEDs 9005s.
I've never heard of anyone doing so, however if you're gonna eliminate the hi beam and put an LED in its place, why not just add it and do the foglight mod and keep the hi's on all the time? Or get inside the steering column and find the switch for the hi beams and by pass it to be on all the time, doesnt seem to be a very hard task at all
Old 11-23-10 | 08:20 AM
ShansLexGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I'm not sure what you asked LoL. but if I think I know what it is, theres a mod for all that
If I go with LED's (9005) in my hi-beam location will they function as normal w/ my lo-beams? I thought I read somewhere that they wouldn't. Additionally, the DRL's won't function properly during the day either, is that right? What is the little 194 corner bulb used for?
Old 11-23-10 | 04:59 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Found the wiring kit for those WITH DRL's:

http://www.v-leds.com/Vehicle-Specif...-p9183949.html
Old 11-23-10 | 05:00 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

If I go with LED's (9005) in my hi-beam location will they function as normal w/ my lo-beams? I thought I read somewhere that they wouldn't. Additionally, the DRL's won't function properly during the day either, is that right? What is the little 194 corner bulb used for?
does the 99 have drl's?

the hi's will function normally but with out any projection like a bulb does. All the LED will do is change the color of the bowl. As for the drl, you'll need the v-led harness to give full power and get rid of the bulb out warning light.

Quick Reply: daytime running lights