GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

RAWR!!! SOMEONE HELP? HID fogs wont come on!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 10:06 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RAWR!!! SOMEONE HELP? HID fogs wont come on!

ok kinda of depressed right now...(not rly) but i ordered some HIDs from my favorite sight for lights DDMTuning.com and i got them in the other day. breaking my normal tradition for once i didnt try to install em the nite i got em to avoid problems with rushing and wut not. So i'm installing the other day and i have everythng plugged up and THEY DONT COME ON!!!
so i began troubleshooting and thought it was something wrong with the ballast but its not because i plugged em up to the headlights n they not only came on but blinded the **** outta me wen i peeped around the hood to make sure they came on. These are 35w ballasts HIDs with 8000K bulbs. does anyone kno what i shuld do? so many people have HID fogs on here i dnt see y mine wont come on?
Old 12-04-09, 10:11 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Nicholas, did you try calling DDMtuning? Seems like they should be the first stop.
Old 12-04-09, 10:20 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

may sound dumb but is the plug for the ballast in correctly? when i got my hid fogs from hidextra, i ended up pluging the 1 side in upside down because the plugs look identical on both sides.
Old 12-04-09, 10:34 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you check your fuses?
Old 12-04-09, 10:47 AM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Same thing happens to me. I try the HIDs in the fog lights and they dont work. i try the same HIDs in my headlights and they work fine. If i put the regular bulbs back into the foglights, they work.
i have no idea whats going on....
Old 12-04-09, 10:59 AM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Try unplugging your bulb connectors and flip them, like you know plugging it the wrong way. This happened to my fogs when I installed the HID kit. I had to reverse the plugs on them in order to work.

Im pretty sure this is the matter. =)

Dara
Old 12-04-09, 11:00 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Nicholas, did you try calling DDMtuning? Seems like they should be the first stop.
imma do that today

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
may sound dumb but is the plug for the ballast in correctly? when i got my hid fogs from hidextra, i ended up pluging the 1 side in upside down because the plugs look identical on both sides.
i thought about that too but its got a clip that makes it go in only on one side

Originally Posted by vinh
did you check your fuses?
nope, fogs work with regular bulbs

Originally Posted by 5t341th
Same thing happens to me. I try the HIDs in the fog lights and they dont work. i try the same HIDs in my headlights and they work fine. If i put the regular bulbs back into the foglights, they work.
i have no idea whats going on....
yup same thing happens here, i thought mayb becuz i had a problem with my switch to turn my fogs on that they weren't coming on but not only was the other foglight with a regular bulb in it on, when i switched out the ballast with the bulb while everything was still on the bulb came right back on.
Old 12-04-09, 11:02 AM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BP_VVt-i

i thought about that too but its got a clip that makes it go in only on one side
Pry this clip to open up some, but dont break it, this is exactly what I did to my HID kit in my fog.

Dara
Old 12-04-09, 11:39 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

YEAH i got them on. thanks to my neverending will to press on. i got the lights on. the problem is that the way the clips are on the ballast they seem lyk they only go one way. i flipped em over. it was in fact the polarity that was making em not come. so now they are on. only problem, well not rly problem, its a funny thng...i tinted my fogs so they look kinda green. it looks cool but i wont kno the effectiveness of them until later tonite. will post pics n results later wen i get off work.

BTW thanks for all the thoughts! and thanks Dara
Old 12-04-09, 01:46 PM
vipjason
Lead Lap

flip the 2 wires from the bulb to ballast. it should work
Old 12-04-09, 04:43 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

No problem!! Glad you got it to work.... now enjoy the "night scene"!!!!!!

Dara
Old 12-04-09, 10:41 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Yea i'm glad they came on too. and here are some pictures of the car after the install. a lil fuzzy cuz they were taken with my phone but nonetheless you can see what i'm working with

this is with the lights all off

and here is the car with one HID installed on passenger side vs. the 12v 55w Phillips 9006 bulbs

And this is jus my favorite pic. i love how the headlights hav the hint of blue, the parking lights r jus white and the fogs look green. i can def see a difference at night even with the tint but the projection on the ground at nite is almost as green as it looks in the pic. here's a close up

sorry its sideways.
Old 12-04-09, 10:56 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

what kelvin are your fogs because they are really green lol.

Dara
Old 12-04-09, 10:59 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DPromGS

Dara
LOL they're 8000K, n no one believes me. LOL...its all becuz of the tint. i used sum old window tint i found in my garage from my father's window tinting days and i slapped it on them one night wen i was bored. i thought since the lights without tint shuld be like frost white that they wuld look kinda purple under the tint but they jus came out green. i like it thou. its a happy accident. LOL
Old 12-04-09, 11:02 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DPromGS

Dara
They could be yellow housing foglights so the yellow reflective would be in there.

Quick Reply: RAWR!!! SOMEONE HELP? HID fogs wont come on!