GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Its Official. GS330.........

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-02 | 08:31 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

I hope the new design doesn't look so gawd ugly like some "proposed" pics that I've seen. I like my gen2.
Old 05-08-02 | 11:21 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Richie
This will be a V6 engine, right?
I just read yesterday from a car magazine based in Singapore, dated Nov. 2001 (kinda old), that the next Aristo will most likely have a bigger displacement engine (4.7 vs 4.3, and 3.3 vs 3.0). The 3.3, it said, would have the V6 design. Apparently, Toyota is now able to squeeze a little bit more hp from the 90 degree V configuration while manufacturing technology has allowed it to reduce engine production cost more in line with the straight 6.
Old 05-08-02 | 11:58 AM
alexus
Pole Position

why lexus keep it in such a secret? if they going release it to the public later on anyway i dont really see the point keepin it in the secret
Old 05-08-02 | 12:18 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by a1exus
why lexus keep it in such a secret? if they going release it to the public later on anyway i dont really see the point keepin it in the secret
By keeping it a secret they don't hurt sales on their current models. For example right now people are going "should I buy a GS now or should I wait for the next model to come out, whats the next model going to look like, is it going to be better looking than the current model ,is it going to be worse looking, is power going to go up considerably or is it going to stay somewhat the same" & "overall will the next gen be worth me waiting a year for or not". By doing this, this will not hurt current model sales too much because people don't know what to expect. Also by waiting it allows them to see what other carmakers are doing as far as technology & styling and also allows them to make drastic changes on their current prototypes without anyone ever knowing. Very good marketing strategy in my opinion.
Old 05-08-02 | 05:25 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexusPride
I don't mean to flame here, but I think at best this new engine config. will put out maybe 250hp at best, still keeping it in the middle of the pack. I don't think Lexus wants any real part of these hp wars, much to the dismay of alot of Lexus owners. So it may still end up slower than similarly sized vehicles, i.e. the G35, TL-S, Altima SE, Maxima, etc. I hate to admit that my competitive side shows (maybe it's a guy thing ) when I think that a Lexus GS300/330 luxury/sport sedan would get soundly beaten by less pricey yet similarly aimed market vehicles (well, not the Altima, as much as they'd like to think). Even though the GS3 is better made and more reliable, it would be nice if it were as fast, if not faster than most other cars. Just my .02.

you have to remember the GS3 was not made to rival the G35,T-LS, Altima SE,maxima. the car was made to rival the likes of 528's and E320 which are not fast but very comfy and luxurious. If you want the fast one pay the extra cash and get the GS430 if you wan the economy and are not concerned with the speed or HP get the GS3
Old 05-08-02 | 11:04 PM
RacingAristo

I really don't think that not all people would need that horsepower and be able to handle that many horsepower. The current GS3 is pretty decent IMO. GS is not meant to be a race car really though I would imagine mine is. LOL.
Old 05-09-02 | 12:29 AM
***SSagaG***
Driver School Candidate

LOL. good news and bad news to me. gotta trade in my G again after only having it for couple of years.
Old 05-09-02 | 03:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ***SSagaG***
LOL. good news and bad news to me. gotta trade in my G again after only having it for couple of years.
Why does this news mean you have to trade in your car?
Old 05-09-02 | 03:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by biggie27
you have to remember the GS3 was not made to rival the G35,T-LS, Altima SE,maxima.
Or a Mustang GT. Lots of cars are fast. The G35, TL-S, Altima and Maxima don't have anywhere near the level of luxury, quiet, room, refinement or quality that a *CURRENT* GS has. Those are what most people buy the GS300 for.

Upping the HP/TQ on the GS3 some is all they need to do. Bear in mind the new ES300 has basically the same engine as the old one and it's selling like hotcakes because of even greater luxury, quiet, room, refinement and features, NOT performance.
Old 05-09-02 | 04:30 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Question

Originally posted by bitkahuna

Why does this news mean you have to trade in your car?
Yeah, I'm wondering that as well. I just don't get it when people have to have the new redesign just for the hell of it, especially since the Gen. 2 is so great...
Old 05-09-02 | 04:31 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bitkahuna

Or a Mustang GT. Lots of cars are fast. The G35, TL-S, Altima and Maxima don't have anywhere near the level of luxury, quiet, room, refinement or quality that a *CURRENT* GS has. Those are what most people buy the GS300 for.

Upping the HP/TQ on the GS3 some is all they need to do. Bear in mind the new ES300 has basically the same engine as the old one and it's selling like hotcakes because of even greater luxury, quiet, room, refinement and features, NOT performance.
Well said, Bit. I recall several months ago a lot of members seemed to think that the ES would not sell well because of Lexus' refusal to enter the HP wars. Based on the sales, it is apparent that to many people HP is not the most important factor.
Old 05-09-02 | 04:44 PM
LexFather

Look at these high hp calls. IT IS A GIMMICK! Cars were not selling well before, USA loves size or HP, they add both and you have a hit. In the process, screw the inside, the quality and everything else.

The reason Lexus is considered the best with BMW and Benz is they have LISTENED to their customers without sacrificing what a LEXUS is.
Old 05-09-02 | 08:16 PM
***SSagaG***
Driver School Candidate

oh, ok. i didn't say exactly what i meant.
i meant to say,
although newly designed cars are getting uglier and uglier, i hope lexus designers will do a better job than the LS and ES, and if it has more stock power (since i like cars that look good in stock) than the current G, i'll definitely get the new one.
Old 05-13-02 | 09:49 AM
KINGLEX
Driver

all i have to say is that i have a gs4, but i still think the 1 gen gs3 is attractive. it looks better than most 2002 models. lexus seems to grace the gs series with a timeless look and always relevant look