GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need some help with my lugnuts

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-09, 06:56 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

I have experienced the shock you are getting from breaking loose frozen lug nuts. It usually occurs if the wheel has not been removed in a long time, at least over a year and if it is over torqued. Most of my daily drivers have their wheels removed twice a year for winter/summer wheel changeover so it is normally not an issue.

I have used all kinds of stuff on the lug nuts like, anti-sieze, wd-40, etc. and I have never had an issue with "tensile" strength... Altough I have heard that these lubricants may affect the true torque applied when using a torque wrench.

Like everyone else has said, use a torque wrench when installing the lug nuts and you should be ok
Old 12-12-09, 10:05 AM
Laydout430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by McKrevice
You are wrong. It is not a bad idea. It does not affect tensile strength. We're not talking about sulfuric acid here.

That's the most retarded thing I've read today.
i dont know why you say this is the most retarded thing you've read today because it DOES affect tensil strength and axial load-most companies dont recommend any lube on lug threads and if you do usually the torque spec needs to be lower than a dry stud. I know ALOT of people have used it and had no problems and they use it sparingly on the lug threads only.
here is how torque is measured for studs:

The actual force experienced by the stud is given by the formula:

F=T/([P/2pi]+[uT*rT/cos a]+[uB*RB])

F=tensile force on stud
T=applied torque
P=thread pitch
uT=coefficient of friction between threads
rT=radius of thread midline
a=30 degrees for common thread
uB=coefficient of friction for the bearing surface under fastener
rB=radius of bearing surface midline

Adding lubricant significantly reduces uT and uB, resulting in larger F for a given T.

i'm not saying that is doesnt work or wont work-I was just stating what many of companies, and manufactures have stated,obviously for a reason. Do research son.