GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs300 I want HID's but need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09, 02:47 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fro20
Neo are those HID's in halogen reflectors?
Yes. I did aim it a little lower than normal to help reduce glare.
Old 12-17-09, 03:14 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
^^^ +1 on what LuxuryMods said. I have 6k in mine and the color/output balance is just right. I did adjust mine lower like PHML.

Not the best picture but you can see the white color output. I don't have wall or beam output pics. Sorry.

What do you have for your wedge bulbs Neo?
Old 12-17-09, 10:14 PM
fro20
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neo
^^^ +1 on what LuxuryMods said. I have 6k in mine and the color/output balance is just right. I did adjust mine lower like PHML.

Not the best picture but you can see the white color output. I don't have wall or beam output pics. Sorry.

Color is great, combo looks good of the different lights. Just going to use this pic as an example for the OP.

To the OP, this pic is a good example of what HID looks like when used with the incorrect lens/reflector. The light bleeding out the corner in the picture is not focused correctly due the the halogen reflector vice the HID specific.

The reason this happens is because there is an arc of light produced by a xenon bulb rather then a filament in the halogen.

I have attached a link http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

read for good info

Last edited by fro20; 12-18-09 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 09:47 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

o6spdracer - Glad to hear it bud! Our HID Kits use laser aligned bulbs to ensure proper fitment and optically correct beam patterns.

Steve
Old 12-18-09, 02:57 PM
fro20
Driver

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
o6spdracer - Glad to hear it bud! Our HID Kits use laser aligned bulbs to ensure proper fitment and optically correct beam patterns.

Steve

When you say optically correct beam pattern what does that mean?

Last edited by fro20; 12-18-09 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 07:15 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Thanks for all the input. This sounds a lot more complicated and/or expensive than I had hoped. Has anyone had good results installing HIDs in a 00-03 gs300 while keeping the stock reflector lights and just pointing the bulbs? I know people have done it but how do they look?

Also what about the CCFL halo projector housings you can buy on
eBay for around $250? Could I install those and then put HIDs in those? Are they not the same as other projectors?

NEO - your gs looks exactly like mine, even the rims. Is that an L-tuned version? I haven't seen another gs300 with the same rims as mine.
Old 12-18-09, 07:19 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Default Re

Steve

Steve - are u saying xenon depots kits look good even with stock reflector housings and the light won't bleed out the sides?
Old 12-19-09, 06:32 PM
fro20
Driver

as far as HID bulb in a halogen projector, read the link I attached. It talks about using non HID reflectors and projectors with HID bulbs.

Jeremy
Old 12-19-09, 09:23 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skiz88
Thanks for all the input. This sounds a lot more complicated and/or expensive than I had hoped. Has anyone had good results installing HIDs in a 00-03 gs300 while keeping the stock reflector lights and just pointing the bulbs? I know people have done it but how do they look?

Also what about the CCFL halo projector housings you can buy on
eBay for around $250? Could I install those and then put HIDs in those? Are they not the same as other projectors?

NEO - your gs looks exactly like mine, even the rims. Is that an L-tuned version? I haven't seen another gs300 with the same rims as mine.
i have purchased the projectors from ebay and my problem is idk which HID bulb fits in the projector housing Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-19-09, 10:57 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fro20
as far as HID bulb in a halogen projector, read the link I attached. It talks about using non HID reflectors and projectors with HID bulbs.

Jeremy
Yea I did read that, and I know it's far from ideal but Ideal is going to cost me $500 plus whereas just the kit is only $160.

I took Steve from xenon depots message to mean the technology used in their bulbs/kits are unique and maybe a bit more suitable for use with halogen reflectors. Sounded like they have a more guided beam
pattern.

Can anyone vouch for this?
Old 12-20-09, 10:05 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve
Steve, isn't beam pattern determined by the projector or the reflector bowl of the housing....and not by the bulb (the only exception maybe the d2r bulb)?
Old 12-20-09, 11:34 AM
skiz88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PHML
Steve, isn't beam pattern determined by the projector or the reflector bowl of the housing....and not by the bulb (the only exception maybe the d2r bulb)?

I'm interested in the response as it may be deciding factor of whether I install these in my OEM housings or not.

Also still have 2 questions. Anyone know what the retrofit would cost? Is $350-$500 a good guess? Lastly can someone tell me how to aim the bulbs if I do install in stock housings? Is there an adjuster screw or something?
Old 12-20-09, 09:41 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UpstateLex
What do you have for your wedge bulbs Neo?
I can't remember off the top of my head. I'd have to dig out my parts box and let you know.

Has anyone had good results installing HIDs in a 00-03 gs300 while keeping the stock reflector lights and just pointing the bulbs? I know people have done it but how do they look?
Not sure what you mean by successful. This is exactly what mine is except for the year. There have been some color variations but the reflectors did not change over the year.

Yes, these were L-tuned wheels. They are, however, long gone. These pics are pretty old but they were ones I have handy with the lights at night time.
Old 12-21-09, 07:12 AM
fro20
Driver

basic idea of the cost of retrofit is

$350 for LS430 projectors, $350 for labor + cost of HID bulb ballast kit with d2r/d2s bulbs

Beam pattern and output is highly dependent on the reflector/projector, not the bulb. The bulb is only a source.

Its like a having a nice Denon amp/pre amp for your home theater hooked up so some $100 bookshelf speakers. It works, but not the way it was intended. You need a good delivery system for your badass source.
Old 12-21-09, 07:47 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi,

As per your questions:

1) fro20 - We make sure that the focal point of the HID bulb sits in the same spot (to the mm) as the halogen bulb focal point. As a result, your OEM beam pattern gets replicated. If the focal point position is incorrect your beam pattern will be affected.

2) skiz88 - I am saying that our kits will literally replicate your vehicle's OEM beam pattern. Your stock headlights allow a slight amount of light to bleed upwards to illuminate overhead signs. Our product cannot prevent this from happening so you will still get a slight amount of light bleed as our product is at the mercy of the headlight you install it into. We have had many members install this kit in GS reflective headlights with favourable results. Hopefully we can get some of them to chime in.

3) PHML - D2R/S: We have done various experimentations with D2S/R bulbs and for an HID kit upgrade outside of Europe a D2R bulb is not required. The stripe on the D2R lamps helps hide the salts which would appear as parasitic images in the light dark transition area of the European Assymetric dip pattern. On a retrofit or DOT beam pattern (Your headlight) you do not have this light dark transition requirement therefore the D2S bulb is just fine for any application.

Steve

Quick Reply: Gs300 I want HID's but need help!