GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

intake madness

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-02, 12:47 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake madness

Just wondering why everyone is getting worked up over an intake ? All an intake is good for is a couple hp and might save you some gas , but no serious hp gains . Your 1/4 time will still be the same as before .

I beleive Static911 is just wasting his time and money on a product that has no real performance to offer .

If i were to do it all again , i would have just went straight for the Supercharger or Turbo .

I guess intakes are good for guys looking to gain some gas mileage , thats all .

Another note . Whats with the cold air box ? From what i can see from the pics , arent you preventing air from getting in ? The box looks like its all closed in . Well thats all i can decipher from the pics. Maybe not , oh well .

Just my .02 , and flame suit on .
Old 05-10-02, 04:44 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well intake does add a bit of power, although you are right in a sence that a single intake is an intake. nothing special there. But now we are adding ECU which actually is adding a fair bit of power and maybe more importantly taking a fair bit of MONEY!! people dont wanna waste their money on other stuff.

Maybe the reason we fight over intake so much is beacuse its the only part where the only thing you care about is power gain!! Exhaust is very opinonaited because of noise / looks etc...

but intake.. unless you really care about looks (most dont) you will try to get teh best... and then when posts come about like "what intake is best" that starts it....

then when people start saying this is best... and you dont think it is so you post.. then the manufacturer of that intake flames back at you... then it gets personal....

....wait i shouldn't have said some of that
Old 05-10-02, 06:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

A lot of people think the intake is giving them power because it DOES add noise as well, especially at WOT.

But let's face it, a lot of people get the intakes because when you open the hood you get that 'wow' factor, especially ones with chrome pipes and neon or other brightly colored pieces and hoses.

I'm glad I held off on getting an intake, and I think it's AWESOME what Ethan is doing and if he didn't do it 'perfectly' the first time around, hey, he is PURSUING PERFECTION and isn't that what it's about? Giving him a ton of **** is just ridiculous. BE CONSTRUCTIVE FOLKS. We all want good data, so SUGGEST ways in which the tests can be done better. So give him some slack. If you can only criticize, shut up.
Old 05-10-02, 06:23 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

You know, bitkahuna hit the nail right on the head.

If you are really into performance. The intake is really a little bitty mod. I mean $270 for an intake on a $50K car? LOL

Bitkahuna is right. You put that intake in your car to make it sound like a V8 should sound like, and maybe get a 'little' ummff in take offs. But any major HP gains will cost money.

Think about it:
Aftermarket Torque Convertor cost?
TRD LSD cost?
S/C cost?
Brake Upgrade cost?
Aftermarket ECU cost?

I know because I had an intake system, and comparing the performance of my car with my mods now, to when I only had an
intake is laughable. IMHO

Lee
Old 05-10-02, 10:26 AM
ocnbrzz
Driver

Right on guys!

An intake is just that. ANY aftermarket intake is only going to give back a couple h.p. that the engine would otherwise use to suck air thru the factory filter element. Realistically 1-5 h.p. most likely around 2-3hp.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first one to admit I run K&N's on all three of my vehicles, but all I am trying to do is have the engine work "a little less" to pull in the air it needs, that's all.

Also gotta admit all the exotic intake systems do look cool and they probably flow better than just a drop in K&N using the factory airbox. But I would never expect to see 15-20hp gain from it.

To each his own, it's all good!
Old 05-10-02, 11:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally posted by ocnbrzz
ANY aftermarket intake is only going to give back a couple h.p. that the engine would otherwise use to suck air thru the factory filter element. Realistically 1-5 h.p. most likely around 2-3hp.
Hmmm... I think a big fat pipe WITH an ECU can do quite a bit better than that because you're changing the fuel level to match the increased airflow but it's not going to snap your neck.

I could be a victim of marketing hype though
Old 05-10-02, 01:26 PM
blue wax
Lead Lap

balancing fuel/open air intake can gain aprox 5 HP max... that's it.

and you will burn some more fuel .

but it's fun to do.... so why not ??

LOL

yezzzzzzz
Old 05-10-02, 01:50 PM
ocnbrzz
Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna

Hmmm... I think a big fat pipe WITH an ECU can do quite a bit better than that because you're changing the fuel level to match the increased airflow but it's not going to snap your neck.

I could be a victim of marketing hype though
No, I think you are correct. BUT, I think you've changed the parameters of the dicussion, which was up to this point speaking on the merits of an aftermarket intake system (i.e. airfilter, drop in, or cone style)
Now if you want to include the electronic computor controlling of the a/f mixture in conjunction with the air intake device(airfilter) we are on a whole new plateau here.

But from my perspective I think I Dodged a bitslapping !!!
Old 05-10-02, 01:58 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: intake madness

Originally posted by 1niceride
Just wondering why everyone is getting worked up over an intake ? All an intake is good for is a couple hp and might save you some gas , but no serious hp gains . Your 1/4 time will still be the same as before .
I like it because:

My engine breathes better and runs smoother

After the intake and ecu tuning I got 5MPG more

Throttle response is better

It was kind of fun doing it. I became more familiar with my car.
Old 05-10-02, 05:26 PM
RacingAristo

5MPG from intake and ECU. That's pretty impressive. Did you detune your car? JK.
Old 05-10-02, 07:29 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

I'll give Static his props for trying to end the argument of whose intake is the best .

I just think he's wasting his time , because an intake isn't much of a mod to get worked up about .

Before the next round of testing , a thread asking for the best way to do the testing should be posted up .

Peace out .
Old 05-10-02, 09:50 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Lee's right I don't see why people are getting so worked up on a filter and piping...if you want real power get a turbo or supercharger...

I had the SRT intake and it wasn't enough power for me, so I got the S/C...I don't think any intake was going to give me the power that I was looking for...

Aloha
Old 05-10-02, 10:27 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Geez guys....5 hp an 16 lbs torque gain isn't a lot but it adds up. that coupled with an exhaust system and your talkin even more. maybe even enough to out-pull a Cobra?!! OK maybe not. But still..simple bolt-on performance. As for the price..come-on you own a freakin LEXUS! A major service is like 7 bills!

Peace