GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

haha......Manaray's next mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-02, 06:59 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

wow.. unbelivable..
Old 05-12-02, 11:54 AM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is freakin awesome, i want those soooooooo bad now

drew
Old 05-12-02, 08:07 PM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who have TEIN coilovers. How much of a problem have you had with the alignment? I heard it was terrible keeping the car aligned properly and also with the camber or cast- can't remember what they said. I would like real world experiences. I know that when I lowered my car with bilstein and H&R's - my inside tire wore down something terrible before I realized they didn't align my car correctly. I had this fixed, but it was too late. I had to purchase new tires.

I am very interested in getting the Flex or HA's, since I want be able to lower my car just a few more notches then where it sits. I don't want the slammed look, but would like it for when I do get rims and tires that I can adjust it to gap correctly.

thanks,

Khanh

Last edited by Knguyen OLD; 05-13-02 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-13-02, 04:35 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my alignment goes off quite often...
Old 05-13-02, 08:37 AM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by LexusRules
my alignment goes off quite often...
How is the inside tire wear. Does the alignment go off only when you adjust the height of the car or every few months withought touching the height?
Old 05-22-02, 08:54 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

I read the replies and I didn’t see a clear enough answer. I don’t know much about suspension and from the replies it sounds like it controls the ride of the car, but can you control the height of the car right from the drivers seat? I am looking for a clear answer since this may change my coil over purchasing decision.
Old 05-22-02, 09:36 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jpa2400
I read the replies and I didn’t see a clear enough answer. I don’t know much about suspension and from the replies it sounds like it controls the ride of the car, but can you control the height of the car right from the drivers seat? I am looking for a clear answer since this may change my coil over purchasing decision.
No, you can only control the damping from the drivers seat, height adjustment must still be made the traditional way.
Old 05-22-02, 10:02 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks mumbles!! How hard is it to change the height on coilovers?
Old 05-22-02, 10:38 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

jpa2400,

Its actually pretty easy to do the height change just jack up one wheel at a time and it will expose the two locking rings on the coilover.. Bottom ring must be loosened then you can raise or lower the car via the top ring with the supplied wrenches.. Best way to do this thou is to take the wheels off and have the car on stands but if you are only doing slight adjustments in height then the individual wheel method will be just fine..

Hope I explained that right.. As a side note the guys that installed my Teins told me they get air bag struts (Not sure who makes them) that have a coil with airbags inbetween so if I understand it right you can lower or raise your car from inside your car.. I doubt that they have anything for the SC or GS but I thought I would share if anyone knows anything more about this..

Ken
Old 05-22-02, 10:42 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks 2SAVVY I get the idea, it doesn't sound to bad. The air bag idea sounds cool, my travel is 50/50, half the roads within my area are great and half that I travel on a few times a month just SUCK.
Old 05-22-02, 11:18 AM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by enginyr

How is the inside tire wear. Does the alignment go off only when you adjust the height of the car or every few months withought touching the height?

sasha?
Old 05-22-02, 12:00 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jpa2400
Thanks mumbles!! How hard is it to change the height on coilovers?
2SAVVY pretty much described the process. The only thing I can add is that the first adjustment after the shocks are installed should be done on a level surface, garage floor for example. Since this will be your initial attempt at setting the ride height, you want to make sure that the drops are equal between the left/front and right/front of the car, and similarly between the left/rear and right/rear. Once you have the side to side level, then making adjustments up or down later on is as simple as using the same number of turns on one side as the other. Also worth mentioning is that after you are reasonably satisfied that you have your ride height set, have a four wheel alignment done to make sure your camber is set correctly, otherwise you will wear your tires unevenly. You can usually make small adjustments afterwards without effecting the camber too much, but if you start raising/lowering more than a half inch or so, it's best to get things aligned again. Hope this helps, and sorry for the rant
Old 05-22-02, 12:32 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks mumbles for adding to what I said previously.. Very good advice and I was told pretty much the same.. Anything over an inch in either direction (up or down) from the time you get the 4 wheel alignment will put you out of alignment.. Anyone know if the factory equipped jack like what is found in the GS can be bought at a junk yard.. Out of all the factory spec trunk jacks I have seen it works the best.. Thinking to get 4 so I can elevate the SC for winter storage and/or when I do height adjustments.. I dunno if this sounds sane or not..

Ken
Old 05-22-02, 01:00 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I want it ...... But the wife is not trying to hear that this year...She says I'm spending to much!!!!! But she didn't have a problem with me buying a house for 250K
Old 05-22-02, 01:03 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER
I want it ...... But the wife is not trying to hear that this year...She says I'm spending to much!!!!! But she didn't have a problem with me buying a house for 250K

JUST KIDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails haha......Manaray's next mod-view.jpg