GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Having a weak moment with my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 03:07 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Exactly, it's just down to the cost/return ratio comparison. Spend 1-2 hours and $2 to fix a door lock actuator. Or just drop it off at shop or dealer to let them mess with it for 2hours and pay $250-300. Then use those 2 hours to do something else more productive. I'm still at the point of doing stuff myself because I'm still young and am not making the big bucks....yet lol. I think maybe in 10-15 years I won't be so willing to fix stuff myself. Original poster said he was in college, so that's why I suggested for him to DIY.
I agree, I work on my car myself, I like to be the service advisor thats not selling you a line of BS.
Old 12-22-09, 08:10 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a feeling you might got water near your NAV. Open the trunk and on the right side, lift up the covers and below there should be a steep hole. Check to see if there is water there. If yes, water is coming up from underneath from splashing. There is an oval shaped rubber that is suppose to plug that hole so water can't splash up. It's located before the right rear wheel. You would have to lift the car up to see it GL!
Old 12-22-09, 08:22 PM
a#'z
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some parts like the the door actuator and ball joints need to be replace, but it depends on how you drive as well, for the exhaust manifold, it also depends on the climate you live in, causing rust and molds...
Old 12-23-09, 08:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus ASM
Start by having the people who installed the windshield reseal it... That shouldnt be something you need to pay for.
i would love to do that. although i bought my car in NY bout 3 years ago and i live in TN. i guess i will start looking into replacing this though

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I have a feeling you might got water near your NAV. Open the trunk and on the right side, lift up the covers and below there should be a steep hole. Check to see if there is water there. If yes, water is coming up from underneath from splashing. There is an oval shaped rubber that is suppose to plug that hole so water can't splash up. It's located before the right rear wheel. You would have to lift the car up to see it GL!
he doesnt have water near his nav, well i guess he could but its the screen. the pixels are starting to die in the nav screen
Old 12-23-09, 10:00 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

I've replaced lower ball joints, outer tie rods, motor mounts, trans mount, differential, pvc valve, 2 air filters, knock sensors, tires, oil changes and just last friday I did the upper control arms on both sides. I drive the car on sunday and the VSS breaks. Trust me, I feel your pain.
Old 12-23-09, 01:24 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I will be the first to admit that I am far from someone like Jeff who is ready to prop the car up and go in for surgery. For one, I live in an apartment in the middle of Atlanta so I do not have the space or tools that are needed for this type of maintenance. I don't even have anywhere to keep a jack or anything like that. Two, I am just not that mechanically inclined though there are several things that I have taken apart, messed with, fixed, put back together, etc.

I am still waiting on my service advisor to get that code but he has been in and out due to the holidays. Also, his boss is my old boss and I consider all of them friends so I really don't think anyone is trying to rip my off. Retail cost for replacing the exhaust manifold is close to $2,000 with parts and labor and the price he quoted me is about half that. Still expensive, but I certainly don't feel like I am being taken advantage of.

Also, from the research that I have done it seems like exhaust manifold = headers in layman's terms. Is that correct?
Old 12-23-09, 01:25 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
I've replaced lower ball joints, outer tie rods, motor mounts, trans mount, differential, pvc valve, 2 air filters, knock sensors, tires, oil changes and just last friday I did the upper control arms on both sides. I drive the car on sunday and the VSS breaks. Trust me, I feel your pain.
I feel you man...I am sorry
Old 12-23-09, 01:31 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't want to read the whole thread but..

What car do you think would not have any regular maintenence like this on it?

Cars all start falling apart after a few years, thats just what happens.
Old 12-23-09, 01:38 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
I didn't want to read the whole thread but..

What car do you think would not have any regular maintenence like this on it?

Cars all start falling apart after a few years, thats just what happens.
As the previous owner of a 4Runner with 120K, Camry with 98K, and another Camry with 113K on the clock and NO serious issues, I just wasn't expecting all of this from a Lexus. FWIW, there are two other Camrys in the family- one with 138K and one with 146K and neither of those have ever suffered a problem either.

I also don't think the "it's a Lexus so it's more complicated" excuse works here because parts like ball joints, exhaust manifolds, and O2 sensors are really not complicated at all. If anything, the 4Runner, which was 4WD, would be the most complex car of them all and it was also the most rock solid.
Old 12-23-09, 02:56 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

If you do end up needing to replace the exhaust manifold. I have like 3 laying around in storage. Took them off of cars that went NA-T. I think they all have under 40-50k miles. The one off my own car was removed at 15k miles, but I'm keeping that as a spare for myself lol. I'll sell to you for muuuuuch less than what retail is. That's the last resort though, hopefully it's just that your O2 sensors went bad or something.
Old 12-23-09, 03:32 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks boss! I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 12-23-09, 06:08 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Thanks boss! I'll keep you guys posted.
Yah, whats the code?
Old 12-23-09, 06:31 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Also, from the research that I have done it seems like exhaust manifold = headers in layman's terms. Is that correct?
Yep. That is correct. Have you looked into an aftermarket one?
Old 12-23-09, 07:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

My problem is that I cannot handle my car being any louder than it already is, and from what I understand aftermarket headers are significantly louder.

I'm also not sure how to do the whole O2 simulator thing.
Old 12-23-09, 07:42 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Aftermarket headers are typically no louder than stock, plus most have the 02 bug welded into the collector... meaning you just screw it in the new or existing 02 sensor.

Quick Reply: Having a weak moment with my car