GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Having a weak moment with my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-09, 07:48 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
My problem is that I cannot handle my car being any louder than it already is, and from what I understand aftermarket headers are significantly louder.

I'm also not sure how to do the whole O2 simulator thing.
Im going to try and be very clear... IF your car is under 80,000 miles the problem you are trying to solve is under warranty.

Exhaust manifolds dont go bad unless they crack. If the reason you are replacing the manifold is because the CAT converter has failed then IT IS UNDER WARRANTY AS LONG AS THE VEHICLE IS UNDER 80,000 miles.

I work for a dealer, PM me your VIN number and Ill check the date of first use... Hell Ill even call your dealership and explaing it to them!!!!

What more can we do???

Do yourself a favor and PM me your VIN and accurate mileage.
Old 12-24-09, 08:33 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be the first to admit that I am far from someone like Jeff who is ready to prop the car up and go in for surgery. For one, I live in an apartment in the middle of Atlanta so I do not have the space or tools that are needed for this type of maintenance. I don't even have anywhere to keep a jack or anything like that. Two, I am just not that mechanically inclined though there are several things that I have taken apart, messed with, fixed, put back together, etc.

I am still waiting on my service advisor to get that code but he has been in and out due to the holidays. Also, his boss is my old boss and I consider all of them friends so I really don't think anyone is trying to rip my off. Retail cost for replacing the exhaust manifold is close to $2,000 with parts and labor and the price he quoted me is about half that. Still expensive, but I certainly don't feel like I am being taken advantage of.

Also, from the research that I have done it seems like exhaust manifold = headers in layman's terms. Is that correct?
Holy rip off batman!
i would not pay that much to get my headers replaced. Buy an aftermarket one or a used one and install it yourself there is a DIY here on CL

and like people have said the only reason the manifold should need to be replaced is a crack unless its the emissions thing.
Old 12-25-09, 04:19 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

So the plot thickens....

I ran my car down to about 2 gallons of gas and filled it up tonight and as soon as I turned the car back on all of the lights went off. I wonder if I had bad gas or some other problem? Wouldn't the lights still be on if this was a cat/exhaust manifold issue?
Old 12-26-09, 12:21 PM
Lexigo400
Driver School Candidate

In regards to the ABS/VSC for a 2000 Gs400 can someone confirm by looking inside the fuse box cover located just next to the brake master cylinder if there is an open fuse position. I only have 4 fuses inside the fuse box.
1 is black (Horn) 2 is light green (ABS SOL) 3 is pink(TRAC Motor) 4 is blue(ABS Motor) 5 blank. Is there supposed to be a fuse in that position.
Thanks for looking

Lexigo400
Old 12-26-09, 05:42 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

So the plot thickens....

I ran my car down to about 2 gallons of gas and filled it up tonight and as soon as I turned the car back on all of the lights went off. I wonder if I had bad gas or some other problem? Wouldn't the lights still be on if this was a cat/exhaust manifold issue?
The plot hasnt thickened, nobody knows what the plot is cuz all you do is post up your guesstimations about whats wrong with your car. The answer to your question depends, if you could post the code it would help to know what your problem is... But what do I know.

If you are too broke to get it scanned at a dealer then PEP boys can scan it for free, or advanced auto parts.

I dont think you ever went to the dealer cuz if you did the code would be on your paperwork... I think you are trying to fix your own car, and dont have a F*'n clue what your doing. IMO.

Last edited by lexus ASM; 12-26-09 at 05:48 PM. Reason: TRYING TO HELP.
Old 12-26-09, 11:13 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

As I already said, I don't have the technical expertise or even the tools to do this myself so clearly I am not trying to wing it based on what everyone is saying here even though I do greatly appreciate the advice. I checked my paperwork a few days ago and there is no code on there so I called my service advisor but haven't heard back. He called me this afternoon to tell me that he was on vacation for xmas.

I may have to go in and have the car rescanned since it has now been over a week since the codes popped up but now...there are no lights on my dash at all. I am thinking about going ahead with trying to have the cats replaced anyway since I am under warranty still.

I hope to have an update soon but it is difficult with the holidays.
Old 12-28-09, 07:20 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

update: getting cats replaced under warranty.
Old 12-28-09, 10:51 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

update: getting cats replaced under warranty.
good job micheal
Old 12-29-09, 10:59 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

New cats and now the valve gasket cover is leaking.

a rolleyes smiley isn't even remotely sufficient here.
Old 12-29-09, 11:27 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

New cats and now the valve gasket cover is leaking.

a rolleyes smiley isn't even remotely sufficient here.
The valve cover gasket is not covered under the emissions system warranty. Lexus is going to hit you on the labor for its replacement. Maybe you should pass on replacing it at the dealer and have a reputable mechanic do the job since you are looking to save $$.

Hold the rosary tight & pray that the starter, heater core, don't fail on you in the mean time.. Those are over $1k in labor & parts & are common problems as well.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-09, 11:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Sean you have such a way with words. So uplifting! LoL.

Thanks for the advice...I'll see how this shakes out. Pretty soon I'm just going to have them roll back the odometer since almost every mechanical component in the car will be new.
Old 12-29-09, 12:49 PM
aristo2369
Lead Lap

Im having a weak moments all the time.... i wish i had another car cause i would take my car and gut it and buy a IS
Old 12-29-09, 01:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Even after having a nicely optioned IS loaner for the last few days, there is still something I love about my GS. The newer stuff is obviously nicer, better, faster, etc......but it doesn't have saddle leather
Old 12-29-09, 02:25 PM
aristo2369
Lead Lap

Even after having a nicely optioned IS loaner for the last few days, there is still something I love about my GS. The newer stuff is obviously nicer, better, faster, etc......but it doesn't have saddle leather
i just wish my car was stock.... i thought it would be great to have a gs with lots of goodies but not i regret having to deal with so many little things with no one really there to fix them ;(
Old 12-29-09, 02:56 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I hear you on that! I actually miss the smooth ride and silent cabin, too.

Quick Reply: Having a weak moment with my car