GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

learned first-hand how important snow tires are

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-09, 12:07 AM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default learned first-hand how important snow tires are

so the northeast was hit by a pretty big snow storm tonight and i had to drive into brooklyn from manhattan around 9:45PM when there were about 4 inches of snow on the ground already. i still have on my bridgestone all season tires on stock 16 inch rims and what a mistake it was to not put my winters on.

i drove from soho to the manhattan bridge via bowery and that bridge was backed up. so i decided to keep going straight on bowery to take the brooklyn bridge instead. I COULD BARELY MAKE IT UP THE INCLINE AT THE START OF THE BRIDGE.

that wasn't the worst of it. i had to plan my whole route to bensonhurst to avoid as many inclines as possible so i decide to take ocean parkway. the prospect leading up ocean was fine but once i got onto ocean it was so hard for me to get the car to even move from a red light. by the time i hit carol avenue (or one of those streets before 18th avenue.. i forget which one precisely) my car was going sideways on the parkway regardless of how gently i hit the gas. luckily i made it to 18th avenue and decided to get off ocean. that's where i lucked out and ended up following a garbage truck that was plowing the streets. i followed the truck most of the way to my destination.

WHAT A NIGHT!!! I am going to slap on my Michellin Alpine PA2s once next saturday rolls around. i am amazed at how bad all season tires are in the snow. i've always been able to drive pretty much normally with my PA2s even in relatively deep snow. i'm totally blown away by how markedly different the car is as well without them.

anyway, just wanted to share my story about tonight. i hope everyone has their winters on already if you are on the east coast and midwest. drive safe everyone and please do share if you have any good stories about driving in snow!

Last edited by gsCrazy; 12-20-09 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-20-09, 01:07 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Dang....I've never even seen real snow.

I mean, it snowed at Disneyland when I went there one time? Was it real snow? I couldn't even tell you because snow is just a myth to me...

So Cal FTW! haha
Old 12-20-09, 12:28 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Blizzaks or stay home!

CEO
Old 12-21-09, 05:45 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THE_CEO
Blizzaks or stay home!
Good words of advice, I took them up and bought a winter beater from a friends for pennies, but the GS is just sitting in the driveway. Lexus and Winter don't go well together in Minnesota unless you have 4 or AWD.
Old 12-21-09, 05:59 PM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got a lsd? that will help too. I'm a fan of pirrelli for non-dry conditions.. especially for boosted cars.
Old 12-22-09, 07:10 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

snow mode ftw! my car does decently well here in Idaho. i was worried and bought snow tires, but have yet to put them on....dont think im going to.
Old 01-08-10, 08:58 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

what the hell is snow mode? traction control off, counter-steer, throttle, win
Old 01-08-10, 09:48 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine stays in my driveway if there's any snow on the ground, I drive my wifes accord in the winter most of the time.
Old 01-08-10, 09:50 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Snow mode is a joke in Mn.

I will never drive another winter without snow tires in this state.

RWD+Summer type tires = No
Old 01-08-10, 09:58 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

im rockin perrelli p4's that came on my gs, they were amazing in the snow the past few days, almost zero understeer while driving aggressively.. the gs feels like a very balanced, "driftable" car. tires are key in winter, still debating on 17s vs 18s on the front for winter wheels. if you havent driven your gs in the snow, do it, its a blast!
Old 01-08-10, 10:02 AM
BKGEE83
Driver

I'm in bensonhurst and there was no 4 inch snow it's it's a 1/4 of an inch maybe we had like 3 or 4 weeks ago a really bad storm I had to wait like 5 days to take out my car bcause it was too much but right now there is not a single trace of snow to be found, lol and there is no carol street on ocean parkway, maybe in the city it snowed more? Don't know lucky the ones that are in Cali or Florida or anywhere that is warm cuz out here it's brick out, let's see if next week we hit the 40s like they say
Old 01-08-10, 10:38 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BKGEE83
I'm in bensonhurst and there was no 4 inch snow it's it's a 1/4 of an inch maybe we had like 3 or 4 weeks ago a really bad storm I had to wait like 5 days to take out my car bcause it was too much but right now there is not a single trace of snow to be found, lol and there is no carol street on ocean parkway, maybe in the city it snowed more? Don't know lucky the ones that are in Cali or Florida or anywhere that is warm cuz out here it's brick out, let's see if next week we hit the 40s like they say
Dude, his post is before christmas. Today is a 1/4 inch. Either way, me on Pilot Sports, car won't come out of the driveway. On snow tires, no problem, even in PA where it was snowing every day.
Old 01-08-10, 11:39 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by RI-Lex
Mine stays in my driveway if there's any snow on the ground, I drive my wifes accord in the winter most of the time.
Same, since I'm in Minnesota, I haven't driven the GS is weeks due to no snow tires. Even with snow tires, the open diff sucks and spins the SHEIT out of one wheel, going NO WHERE! It's been so long since i've driven it, I almost forget what the Lexus key feels like. I have been driving my gf's Accord as well, and my winter beater, a 87' Mazdarati.., but would much rather drive the Accord.
Old 01-08-10, 11:56 AM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Gs is fun in the snow, but I also need to get myself some snow tires asap
Old 01-08-10, 01:23 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I rode on my brand new snow tires that I bought last year for the first time in the meager 2" of snow that fell overnight. I don't think it's enough to really test them but it do well even when I drove on packed snow. I did not drive in snow mode and there was no slippage or fishtailing of the car. The season is still young and I await more snow to truly test these tires out.

Quick Reply: learned first-hand how important snow tires are