GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

anyone removed resonators???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 10:48 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default anyone removed resonators???

im just wondering cause i had two friends with trucks who put them back in not to long after getting it removed, they said not to remove your resonators cause the drone is so bad, especially on the freeway. anyone done this on there gs? im sure people have but i just wanna know how it sounds and if the drone really is that bad..

thanx
Old 12-21-09, 10:53 AM
sanjikun
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wanna do it on the gs400 cuz i'm sure it sounds a lot meaner...not sure how bad it really is though. I removed the resonator on our acura tl and it didn't make a huge difference except under full throttle. Driving around day to day it sounded normal, but flooring it is what made it sound beastly! If the GS400 can do the same without the everyday droning, then I am interested in this myself!
Old 12-21-09, 02:17 PM
DumpedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have my resonators removed....i also have the HKS axle back mufflers. it really didnt make THAT big of a difference...after the HKS instal i wanted them to be louder, and even after the resonator removal they still arent that loud (not mustang loud anyways) i think its a perfect mix, the transmission on a gs400 is geared so low in 5th that the drone is hardly noticable. ANY car that has ANY exhaust modifications is going to drone on the freeway....thats just the price you pay for making your exhaust louder.
Old 12-21-09, 03:48 PM
sanjikun
Rookie

DumpedGS, so you removed both the exhaust and intake resonators? Did you have a straight pipe welded in place of the ehaust resonator?

Any sound clips of before or after? I love hearing that mild V8 rumble when I shut the car off, so I imagine the 400/430 would sound badass...
Old 12-21-09, 03:58 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sanjikun
DumpedGS, so you removed both the exhaust and intake resonators? Did you have a straight pipe welded in place of the ehaust resonator?

Any sound clips of before or after? I love hearing that mild V8 rumble when I shut the car off, so I imagine the 400/430 would sound badass...
^yeah thats what i was wondering. ^ hahah i always thought resonators were like something you had to pull out the exhaust for the longest time. ha man i was soo dum like a year ago.
Old 12-21-09, 04:39 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

here's Shiznilti's GS300 as a reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VpGNmypBSo

Description says HKS Dragger with the resonators removed.
Old 12-21-09, 04:55 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just do it.

I have a RMM intake and stock exhaust sans resonators. It's barely noticeable...which I like . Surprises some people especially with a 3.76 final.
Old 12-21-09, 05:27 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had it done at a local shop for $50. They cut the old resonators out and welded in new pipe. It's not like you just putting cherry bombs on there or anything, but it's MORE noticeable over stock, however it's not THAT much.
Old 12-21-09, 10:06 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

so basically what i wanna know is did the "drone" that people supposedly talk about being extremely annoying bother you guys?? oh and i love the way my car sounds stock. i could listen to it all day. do you guys think it'll be worth it to spend $50-100 to get them removed? since you guys are saying its not to much louder then stock, you think it'll give me some relief till i get some mufflers? and does it change the loudness or tone?
Old 12-21-09, 10:29 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
so basically what i wanna know is did the "drone" that people supposedly talk about being extremely annoying bother you guys?? oh and i love the way my car sounds stock. i could listen to it all day. do you guys think it'll be worth it to spend $50-100 to get them removed? since you guys are saying its not to much louder then stock, you think it'll give me some relief till i get some mufflers? and does it change the loudness or tone?
When I first removed it I replaced it with a regular stright pipe 2 1/4 inch from the cats all the way back to my stock mufflers. It wasn't as loud as you think it would be. You can hear it and know it's there but it isn't anything unbearable plus if you listen to music while you drive (I'm sure you do) you probably wouldn't notice it as much. The reason why the drone is worst for your friends is because they have trucks and if they have diesels it will be a lot louder than our cars.

Since than I had replace my stock mufflers with magnaflows and that is a lot louder than stock mufflers with the resonators removed. But I love the sporty deep sound of it now with my Intake.

As far as it being worth it. It really depends on what your going for. From my understanding you lose a little bit of low end torque but gain in the mid/high end. I think it's worth it because losing a little in low end isn't going to influence much since you're not tracking it and while gaining in the mid/high end will help out much more such as merging onto the freeway.

Last edited by kevin.tran; 12-21-09 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-22-09, 02:15 AM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

what about CA smog laws? any factor? not gonna pay $200 bucks to get the "under the table" pass every 2 years.. BTW the vid clip suggested above had some lame music baffling the exhaust sound..
Old 12-22-09, 07:02 AM
Nyteryder
Driver

I recently added to my L-tuned rear section with an x-pipe and resonator delete with 2 1/4 piping and there is a noticable difference especially at the lower to mid rpm range. It sounds really good though and minimal drone even on the highway
Old 12-22-09, 07:08 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

Originally Posted by sanjikun

intake resonator? my stock intake is still intact, i just replaced my filter with a k&n drop in.

yes i did remove the 2 stock resonators in the exhaust. it cost like 30 bucks. they took a sawzall and cut out the 2 resonators and welded in 2 2 1/4" pipes to replace the resonators. like other said, it did increase the volume of the exhaust, but not THAT much. i find it to be perfect...i can hear it just fine when i want to hear that v8 rumble and it isnt overpowering when im trying to have a conversation with people in the car. the drone is totally fine...our cars are soundproofed very well.

i dont have a video clip of mine, i should get off my lazy **** and make a vid one of these days.
Old 12-22-09, 09:16 AM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to do this in the worst way.
Any positive effects on fuel economy? In theory, it should help right?
Old 12-22-09, 10:04 PM
iloveGS4xx
Lead Lap

i disconected 2 o3 bolds rite before the sensors like in the middle of the car and it sounded like a mustang lol was pretty nice lol V8 Rellyy sounds amazing,

Quick Reply: anyone removed resonators???