GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

$2300+ for shop trade in parts/labor help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 05:30 PM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question $2300+ for shop trade in parts/labor help.

...So i've posted before if i should trade my 95' 300zx to a local shop for parts and labor. Well the time has come and tomorrow i am taking it there for final inspection before paper work is drawn up. Before i start let, me tell you all that my Z32 is a N/A automatic with 198,000 miles on it and a salvage tiltle. It does have a GREDDY front end(unpainted), HKS adjustable suspension, Auto start with remote, after market stereo w/remote and new 18" staggard RUFF RACING blk/chrome wheels( 9.5 rear/8.5 front) . It is gonna be a bit of a lose on my part but i need to get it out of my relative's driveway ASAP. I can't park it here at my condo cause i only have one parking space and a one car garage besides i have a roommate. He gets the garage since i get the master bedroom and my own bathroom.

...I am "OK" with the loss but wanna know what mods i should get done. I have a 107,000 mile Silver Millennium 99' 2GS So clean it's sick.Very welled maintained and babied from previous owner. I want another remote start installed, my roof section painted black, lowered a couple of inches ( not sure the best way to do it and don't want to "slam it"). Re-tint the windows and not sure what else. I can do the HIDs myself and probably cheaper than he would charge me for parts and installation. As far as front lip,roof spoiler and trunk spoiler i would search this forum or others and do that later. I also need new center rear lights cause mine have the famous "pink" fade like most inner 10 year old lights. Thinkin of going LED. Is this set worth the purchase or wait til i have more money?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-05...Q5fAccessories

...What do you guys suggest for a good solid suspension drop ( around 2") that won't adversely affect the nice ride quality i already have? And also since i live in the most stringent SMOG state of the Union what exhaust would be good to install that isn't too loud or fart can sounding? BTW the shop i am going to has won multiple sound off champions and may possibly think of having a double din installed but since i am not a audio freak it is def. on the back burner. They have a sic *** R32 in the show room that i drool over everytime. The owner's 300ZX is putting out 900+ HP and is his daily driver..The guy is cool but i wanna get the most for my money. Thanks for reading and all responses are helpful. I friggin luv this site even if it makes me file Chapter 11

Last edited by 7DOOBIE7; 12-30-09 at 08:02 PM. Reason: wrong HP listed
Old 12-30-09, 06:21 PM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

had a few looks but no replies.. I need input ASAP so I can do research before going in there tomorrow morning. Lemme put it this way.. If you had $2300 for a wish list of mods what you do? Sky's the limit!!.. Well a $2300 sky hahaha.. and sadly AIR is outta the equation for now
Old 12-30-09, 06:26 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

A set of Megan coilovers and a nice set of wheels will be a good start. Y ou won't lose your ride quality with the Megans (or any other coilover) no matter how low you want to go.
Old 12-30-09, 06:47 PM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

thanks man i was just worried about future problems associated with coilovers, ie: LCAs or ball joints and such. The thing that sucks is that i think we could get a better price here on our "CL group buys" than the shop owner could from his source on MEAGANs. I will ask him tomorrow what his price would be and check what the price our's would be here with the discount. I actually would prefer coilovers because of the adjustablity and if i wanna buy my friend's 3GS stock wheels in the future. I really wanna keep a stock LEXUS type wheel on my car for now. 19 inchers no bigger. I am really feeling the 7 spoke 17" 2GS rims right now but am not apposed to some mesh aftermarket rims either. Currently rolling on 16" stock chrome wheels with 2 week old Bridgstones attached. The tires cost so much i really don't wanna replace them now and since i don't need "winter tires" where i live i may wait out the life of the tread before changing them. But good looking out bro and thanks for the response.
Old 12-30-09, 07:03 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 7DOOBIE7
thanks man i was just worried about future problems associated with coilovers, ie: LCAs or ball joints and such. The thing that sucks is that i think we could get a better price here on our "CL group buys" than the shop owner could from his source on MEAGANs. I will ask him tomorrow what his price would be and check what the price our's would be here with the discount. I actually would prefer coilovers because of the adjustablity and if i wanna buy my friend's 3GS stock wheels in the future. I really wanna keep a stock LEXUS type wheel on my car for now. 19 inchers no bigger. I am really feeling the 7 spoke 17" 2GS rims right now but am not apposed to some mesh aftermarket rims either. Currently rolling on 16" stock chrome wheels with 2 week old Bridgstones attached. The tires cost so much i really don't wanna replace them now and since i don't need "winter tires" where i live i may wait out the life of the tread before changing them. But good looking out bro and thanks for the response.

If you plan on rolling on the stockers for a while then $2300 can do some things. Like I mentioned before coilover, LED tails, a front lip and exhuast should keep you under $2300. Maybe labor might put you pass that.
Old 12-30-09, 07:47 PM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

i should be getting the "hook up" on labor prices since i have done so much business with them in the past. I think they want a LUX car as part of their crew for shows and what not. But i do wanna get the most out of this deal or I will go the DIY route and sell it myself..I am just looking for some strong points to put up when i negotiate tomorrow when we set down some paperwork. I WILL just walk away from the offer if it is not to my liking. But the mod bugg has had ahold of me for years and i am getting sick of rolling stock. The only other stock GS owners around here are old folks. Just don't wanna be hasty with my decisions or plan of attack tomorrow. He really wants my Z32.
Old 12-30-09, 08:59 PM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

hey looky loo's!!!..post your 2 cents while you can so i can get a laundry list of mods to ask for..seriously since you are reading this just throw a few ideas out there no matter what the cost..time is running out and i wanna be able to post a car pic on here that is worthy of the rest. Thanks all.
Old 12-30-09, 09:05 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look into the Blitz exhaust, it's axle back. for the drop, if you can find some HKS Hipermax LS+, they are super reliable and can drop you car more than 2 inches.

I would look into changing out all your bushings to Daizen.
Old 12-30-09, 10:46 PM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

not to rush you guys but i have a few hours of awake time left and really need more input. I thank you all that have posted responses and will definitely take them into consideration but i need more. What would you do if you only had a set amount of time to reach an agreement with a shop on what to add to your car for "free"? I consider it free since i have written off the car awhile ago and it does not affect my finances. I want the most bang for buck out there. Remember i have $2300 plus to play with..what is on your wish list?
Old 12-31-09, 06:15 AM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if I had 2300 to play with it would be coilovers, tint, tte lip, exhaust, and maybe visors or led tails. I have a silver gs as well and the first things I did was a 2" drop, tint, added another sub and amp and new balljoints, that's it so far as I had some badluck. Future plans are finish the front suspension, rims, exhaust and a few little items here and there.
Old 12-31-09, 03:01 PM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

hey TXLex did you go with coilovers for your 2" drop or springs?
Old 12-31-09, 05:10 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no i actually took the plunge on megan springs for about 125 or something like that, the spring rate is a little stiff but they hold up well, there not bad for the price, i plan on going coilovers once i get back on my feet.