GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

No, No, No... Hydraulics on a 2 GS : (

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 05:57 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ that does not answer the question... LOL....
Old 01-05-10, 06:02 PM
jhill20
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G2low
I posted up one from youtube a while ago, it wasnt that bad.. but def.. air is the wayy to go on a 2gs not that

edit..this isnt it but heres another one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBtAejYvr40

GSteg vvvv

I just dont like the "jittery action" either, maby on a different car..but its just not 4 me.
wow that one was actually pretty funny....definitely air for me all the way. Air ride in engineering phase.......hard line and hidden hopefully....
Old 01-05-10, 07:42 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Why not?

10 characters

Its uncomfortable.. I feel everybump on the road..

Originally Posted by VIP-209
why not? are you still on your oem struts?
Yes I am.. Was I supposed to change them? How comfortable is yours??
Old 01-05-10, 07:47 PM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted up one from youtube a while ago, it wasnt that bad.. but def.. air is the wayy to go on a 2gs not that

GSteg vvvv

I just dont like the "jittery action" either, maby on a different car..but its just not 4 me.
bahaha that makes me want hydraulics just to do that. thats hilarious
Old 01-05-10, 09:28 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Its probably the 20's you're feeling. IDK, when I had my 20's ride was fine and when I put my stockers on it was like a dream!

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 01-05-10 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 09:43 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its probably the 20's you're feeling. IDK, when I had my 20's ride was fine and when I put my stockers on it was like a dream!
Actually, I have my 16's and thats the ride Im talking about.. Might go a different route.
Old 01-05-10, 11:15 PM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

Those cars look like they're in heat or having a seizure.
Old 01-05-10, 11:31 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EN_VY

Yes I am.. Was I supposed to change them? How comfortable is yours??
Yes. You should change em. Imagine how old ur struts are. I have kyb struts. Very economical and have a lifetime warranty. You'll see the difference. Also ck all ur tires and have the factory recc air pressure.

I'm very happy with my ride. It's smooth and a Lil floaty.
Old 01-06-10, 11:01 AM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Yea true, you think hydros you think competition (same here), but at the same time air is used for the same purposes... Heres one that may get you, did you know they have used hydraulic as OEM suspension since the 50's?
I don't know of any cars using oem hydraulic suspension? Does it go up and down like the cars in the vid?
Old 01-06-10, 11:16 AM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Hydro can be setup many ways, depending on your goal. Most people see the installs that use hopping coils and like 10 batteries.. That's the extreme side, hydro can actually provide a super smooth ride if you install accumulators, which are basiclly an expansion chamber inline with each cylinder and allow the fluid to compress into and rebound out of it. So the motion of the fluid works like a shock and can provide a great ride. Downside is that it makes the system slow so no hopping, but people install valves on the accumulator to turn them on or off if you want a smooth ride and still move fast for show time.

If you have a small 2 battery setup you can use a streetcharger that allows the alternator charge the 24-volt pair in series and not need to plug it at home like the 10+ battery craziness requires.

You don't constantly have leaks with hydros. Leaks are based on the quality of the install/installer. But yes if you Do have a leak it SUCKS, as hydro fluid is Flammable, Eats Paint and Interiors, and Can Blind you if it gets in your eyes.. Nasty Stuff.

I have a bagged Ranger and have had other bagged trucks in previous years that I built, and there is nothing like riding on air. I would have no desire to go hydro, but have rode a nice comfy hydro car in the past and when done right it can be great, it just gets a bad rep..
This is good information, very informative. Reading this is helping me and probably others remove the stigma that we all had for hydraulic systems.
Old 01-06-10, 01:25 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

I don't know of any cars using oem hydraulic suspension? Does it go up and down like the cars in the vid?
again youre judging by the "stigma" of hydraulics. Why is it that you only think that hydraulics are for lifting and dropping? Bags are the same thing, but in almost all oem applications you dont have the capability of raising and lowering, so why can you have a hydraulic set up with out the same capability? (btw, i'm the type of person who answers questions with questions in order for someone to figure it out in their head easier to learn that way )
Old 01-06-10, 02:17 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Yea true, you think hydros you think competition (same here), but at the same time air is used for the same purposes... Heres one that may get you, did you know they have used hydraulic as OEM suspension since the 50's?
Huh? You are asking me if I knew that Hydraulics have been used as OEM suspension since the 50's. Idk, so I am asking you, Sensei. : ) "I hope your not talking about hydraulic fluid that's inside struts/shocks"... lol

again youre judging by the "stigma" of hydraulics. Why is it that you only think that hydraulics are for lifting and dropping? Bags are the same thing, but in almost all oem applications you dont have the capability of raising and lowering, so why can you have a hydraulic set up with out the same capability? (btw, i'm the type of person who answers questions with questions in order for someone to figure it out in their head easier to learn that way )
Idk? Am I suppose to answer this with another question? : )

Last edited by /209JOHN\; 01-06-10 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 07:09 PM
jhill20
Lead Lap

Well I haven't seen any brand new ones but, say late 90's and early 2000 model year Mercedes Benz vehicles had an adjustable hydraulic suspension system. Even some of the early 90's SL's had this.
Old 01-06-10, 08:29 PM
Brent77
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GSteg vvvv

*sigh*

Poor parking pawl...
Old 01-07-10, 08:45 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

Hydo's with accumulators can/do ride better than air ride. you get the same amount of adjustability with the factory ride (without the float of an air system) try taking an on ramp corner at 65 on air and you feel like the doors are gonna drag on the ground. do that with a hydro setup and accumulators and you will hit it faster next time ive installed both, owned both, and i PREFER hydro's. air is just too finicky, air lines leak, crack with cold temps, get loose when its hot...bags pop, etc etc. only problem ive had with hydro's are leak which are easily solved by a savy installer. once a hydro system is setup properly its basically maintenence free. air systems always seem to need messing with.

Quick Reply: No, No, No... Hydraulics on a 2 GS : (