GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

No, No, No... Hydraulics on a 2 GS : (

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10, 12:29 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy No, No, No... Hydraulics on a 2 GS : (

Yes you heard it... I was looking at someone's led links and I found some GS's in Japan with hydraulics..and they are even making the cars dance.. OUch!! ..For me it's just sad to see a Lowrider Lexus..haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Jqs...eature=related
I'm on air suspension and when ppl ask me if it's hydraulics.. I just wanna slap them... haha...

Last edited by /209JOHN\; 01-02-10 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-02-10, 12:35 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted up one from youtube a while ago, it wasnt that bad.. but def.. air is the wayy to go on a 2gs not that

edit..this isnt it but heres another one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBtAejYvr40

GSteg vvvv

I just dont like the "jittery action" either, maby on a different car..but its just not 4 me.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-02-10 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-02-10, 12:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

What's wrong with hydraulics? There are pros and cons to each so I don't see one being better than the other.

With that being said, I don't like the jittery action.
Old 01-02-10, 12:37 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

It's just painful to see that video... haha
Old 01-02-10, 12:49 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

eww its humping the ground!
Old 01-02-10, 12:50 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

LMAO! damn you just made me bust out laughing
Old 01-02-10, 01:13 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

That is sick! and "jittery action" is with the fingers cause hydros have great response... so much more control with them, much lower and much higher abilities.... but messy! <-- biggest 'con' of it all. You bust a line or get a leak, ugly mess. lots of chopping too. but as said above, bags and hydros have their pros and cons. I think though because 99% of those with bags on here have them for 1 reason and thats to drive low and park lower while hydros are for lots of action . but just because you've got the hydros doesnt mean you have to hop the car I dont know why bags have to be the choice for Lexus though cause both go up and down, I'm thinking the stereotype of hydros is what makes that belief... I'd do 1 pump 1 battery for the Lex too damn late now

(I hope I put enough smilies on here cause apparently people misinterpret my comments. I'm not trying to talk poop or call anyone out, just making comments)
Old 01-02-10, 01:19 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
What's wrong with hydraulics? There are pros and cons to each so I don't see one being better than the other.

With that being said, I don't like the jittery action.
I'm not tryin to start a debate... but here's my opinion:

I'm am not a hydraulic expert, but... I believe the ride is not as enjoyable as air. The sidewall of your tires is basically your suspension. It's hydraulic fluid(harsh ride) and it does not compress like air. You constantly have leaks, also the trunk is deleted, due to all the batteries. The positive is it's always got juice(no waiting for compressors to air up)

I have air suspension: I can truly say the ride is terrific. I do have small air leaks, but they are easy to repair. (drawbacks is waiting for tanks to fill up in the morning)
Old 01-02-10, 01:23 PM
Jedidiah
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VIP-209

I'm am not a hydraulic expert, but... I believe the ride is not as enjoyable as air. The sidewall of your tires is basically your suspension. It's hydraulic fluid(harsh ride) and it does not compress like air. You constantly have leaks, also the trunk is deleted, due to all the batteries. The positive is it's always got juice(no waiting for compressors to air up)

I have air suspension: I can truly say the ride is terrific. I do have small air leaks, but they are easy to repair. (drawbacks is waiting for tanks to fill up in the morning)
Pro's and con's to both... with that said, I bet we see hydraulics make a big impact on the adjustable suspension scene in 2010.. mark these words for Jan 1 of 2011.
Old 01-02-10, 01:25 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

actually MANY say that hydraulics are more comfortable than air they too have a sweet spot like bags. and yea, sucks waiting for fill up when its time I'm always low when 'that one time' comes to show off a bit

oh and, not really any leaks if done right dont really need a lot of batteries just 1 (but a tank takes more space than a battery ), IIRC, more batteries increases response to the pump thus giving a quicker response and a faster up/down while more pumps gives more power of push to jump the car, so dont really need all the batteries.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 01-02-10 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-02-10, 01:51 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if setup correctly, hydro's can provide a nice ride...
Old 01-02-10, 02:01 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Hydro can be setup many ways, depending on your goal. Most people see the installs that use hopping coils and like 10 batteries.. That's the extreme side, hydro can actually provide a super smooth ride if you install accumulators, which are basiclly an expansion chamber inline with each cylinder and allow the fluid to compress into and rebound out of it. So the motion of the fluid works like a shock and can provide a great ride. Downside is that it makes the system slow so no hopping, but people install valves on the accumulator to turn them on or off if you want a smooth ride and still move fast for show time.

If you have a small 2 battery setup you can use a streetcharger that allows the alternator charge the 24-volt pair in series and not need to plug it at home like the 10+ battery craziness requires.

You don't constantly have leaks with hydros. Leaks are based on the quality of the install/installer. But yes if you Do have a leak it SUCKS, as hydro fluid is Flammable, Eats Paint and Interiors, and Can Blind you if it gets in your eyes.. Nasty Stuff.

I have a bagged Ranger and have had other bagged trucks in previous years that I built, and there is nothing like riding on air. I would have no desire to go hydro, but have rode a nice comfy hydro car in the past and when done right it can be great, it just gets a bad rep..
Old 01-02-10, 02:20 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jedidiah
Pro's and con's to both... with that said, I bet we see hydraulics make a big impact on the adjustable suspension scene in 2010.. mark these words for Jan 1 of 2011.
True both have ups and downs... literally.. haha
Sounds like you've got a trick up the sleeve ..

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
actually MANY say that hydraulics are more comfortable than air they too have a sweet spot like bags. and yea, sucks waiting for fill up when its time I'm always low when 'that one time' comes to show off a bit

oh and, not really any leaks if done right dont really need a lot of batteries just 1 (but a tank takes more space than a battery ), IIRC, more batteries increases response to the pump thus giving a quicker response and a faster up/down while more pumps gives more power of push to jump the car, so dont really need all the batteries.
This is new to me, I did'nt know Hyrdos had a sweet spot...

I have not seen a hydraulic setup that I have liked. For some reason, I've always associated hyrdros with mini trucks with dancing beds, old school lowrides that hop and dance.

This is probably why some high end luxury cars use air suspension. Ex: Mercedes and Range Rover.

But if a Lexus can pull it off with a clean setup with 1 batt. in trunk. and if the car rides good. I will become a believer...

Last edited by /209JOHN\; 01-02-10 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-02-10, 04:23 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

This is new to me, I did'nt know Hyrdos had a sweet spot...

I have not seen a hydraulic setup that I have liked. For some reason, I've always associated hyrdros with mini trucks with dancing beds, old school lowrides that hop and dance.

This is probably why some high end luxury cars use air suspension. Ex: Mercedes and Range Rover.

But if a Lexus can pull it off with a clean setup with 1 batt. in trunk. and if the car rides good. I will become a believer...

Yea true, you think hydros you think competition (same here), but at the same time air is used for the same purposes... Heres one that may get you, did you know they have used hydraulic as OEM suspension since the 50's?
Old 01-02-10, 04:28 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't think hydros are made for a lexus...

Quick Reply: No, No, No... Hydraulics on a 2 GS : (