GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Having some odd issues as of late.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10 | 10:00 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Default Having some odd issues as of late.

It's been snowing here as of late and after a drive to my work 2 miles away and back. Everything was fine. I parked my car. I had to move it, when I moved it the Speedometer stopped working. I've been using a Garmin GPS wedged into where the speedo is for speed reasons for the last couple of days.

Here's what I got-

-Dead Speedo
-Cruise Control works Fine (Tested with Garmin for speed, Speed remained consistant +/- 1.)
-All MPG information in the Stock Navi is at 0.00 and Mileage to empty is the same since then.
-All functions in the Navi still lock out when the car is in motion
-VSC/ABS/VSC Off lights are on in the vehicle, but we're on prior

Another thing, this has only happened since this happened, on 3-4 occasions, The navigation thinks I'm in some random street in Washington DC and freezes for about 3-4 minutes. Same roads I always drive on, and it claims to not have a GPS signal during such time. All functions that are normally blocked out when the car is moving all function. If I put in an address it will navigate me from whereever in Washington, DC to where I select. Eventually it straightens out, but still is a little slow/jumpy at times.

I would think if the VSS is the culprit...cruise control wouldn't work for one. In our cars do they trigger ABS/VSC/VSC off lights or a CEL?

Last edited by Rippaflow; 01-15-10 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-02-10 | 10:03 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

I have pulled the negative battery cable and reset everything to no avail. Also, gas gauges seems overly sensitive on peddle input when getting low. Once the car is below a 1/4 of a tank, if I'm on the gas, it will drop low enough the gas light will flicker on. When I left off the gas, the needle jumps from the E line to a 1/4th tank again. When the car has more than that, its fine. Recent repair work involves upper control arms and the differential was replaced about a month ago.
Old 01-04-10 | 02:07 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

this might be one of those times that the dealer is the best option....
Old 01-04-10 | 02:22 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

I would check the vss first, the navigation taps into your vss as well...could be navigation. Time for process of elimination.
Old 01-04-10 | 04:52 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
this might be one of those times that the dealer is the best option....
Yeah, I know. The reason why I posted was because when searching I found other people had the issue. People would chime in but they never came back to say how it got fixed or if it did. I was hoping one of those individuals would possibly see the thread and have an answer or maybe someone else would.

I keep thinking VSS as well, but the cruise works.
Old 01-04-10 | 06:55 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
Yeah, I know. The reason why I posted was because when searching I found other people had the issue. People would chime in but they never came back to say how it got fixed or if it did. I was hoping one of those individuals would possibly see the thread and have an answer or maybe someone else would.

I keep thinking VSS as well, but the cruise works.
What if you disconnected the VSS and then tested the cruise. If there was not a change in the cruise performance, that would pinpoint the VSS...I'm not so sure the cruise uses VSS input, but rather throttle position.
Old 01-04-10 | 07:23 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

I always thought the VSS had something to do with it. Can anyone confirm whether our cars rely on throttle or the vss?
Old 01-15-10 | 09:22 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Took the car to my dealer (Toyota dealer). They ran codes, came back with 12 codes. They disconnected every wheel sensor and reconnected them. Disconnected the VSS and reconnected. Checked all the wiring. Reset codes. 3 of the codes stayed. Both for front speed sensors and abs control unit. A year or so ago, I fit a front bump HARD with the wheels and it tripped these three lights to come on. So, I'm assuming they those were the 3 codes from back then. Paid 39 bucks for the diagnosis. When I drove the car off the lot, all speedo functions were working fine again. Car was driving completely fine and my mpg was up to about 24ish on the highway, which I haven't seen in a while. I've been getting 17-20mpg since those lights originally came on. Prior to those lights coming on, my car got 23-26 on the highway and 19-22 in the city. Maybe just a coincidence. The sensors are getting replaced and I am anxious to get ABS VSC and traction control back.
Old 01-15-10 | 09:32 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Paid 39 bucks for the diagnosis.

Jesus christ that is cheap. It's about $90 for a Toyota diagnostic here!

Glad you got your car fixed. Electrical issues are always hard to sort out.
Old 01-15-10 | 09:32 AM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

Congrats on getting it fixed. $39 is not bad and your mileage is pretty good!
Old 01-15-10 | 09:36 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

I know the service advisor there. That's why. He tends to hook me up on the labor side of things, but in turn I get no free loaner (which they offer). I order all my parts from Sewell and he lets me bring them in.

From what he said, the ABS control code comes on when speed sensors are at fault? Is this true? I just know I've seen people replace abs speed sensors to no avail only to have to end up replacing that later.

Originally Posted by o6spdracer
Congrats on getting it fixed. $39 is not bad and your mileage is pretty good!
I baby my car when I'm looking for those numbers lol. I can drive normal and get the 20-22.5. But I like to make that premium fuel last... lol.
Old 02-10-10 | 06:19 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

I know the service advisor there. That's why. He tends to hook me up on the labor side of things, but in turn I get no free loaner (which they offer). I order all my parts from Sewell and he lets me bring them in.

From what he said, the ABS control code comes on when speed sensors are at fault? Is this true? I just know I've seen people replace abs speed sensors to no avail only to have to end up replacing that later.

I baby my car when I'm looking for those numbers lol. I can drive normal and get the 20-22.5. But I like to make that premium fuel last... lol.

any word on this?