GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I HATE my tint! ;(

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 01:27 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I HATE my tint! ;(

Just looking at my car the other day...I hate my tint - and the worst part is that it is brand new!

I went to Savage Autosports in Suffolk County, LI (NY) and had it done over the Summer. I didn't notice it as much but it has an ANNOYING hue of green!

I told the guy that I wanted 30% black tint...and he mentioned that they only had one type of tint and it is black; it is some solar-type of tint (I guess to further protect against UV's).

But it is UGLY especially on a black car. If my car was white it would be nice but with black it throws it off a lot. I spent $250 on this crap and I would hate to have to pay an additional $400 to strip it and re-tint at another shop.

The stupid idiot at that shop said it is my glass that made the tint look green! BS...what a stupid remark, I had nice black tint previously on my ride. After 6 years it started fading and looking purple, this is what prompted me to get a re-tint.

Any suggestions?

What would happen if I put another layer of BLACK tint OVER my existing? Would that do the trick? Will it make my windows harder to go up or down with 2 layers of tint? What are your thoughts?
Old 01-05-10, 01:37 PM
lunatyk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you're suppose to tint over tint.
Old 01-05-10, 01:46 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i go to savage all the time on 112 they tinted 4 of my cars no problem. But i havent been there in a year so things could of changed they did expand to next door. As far as layering you can do it, they did it for me because it was stupid to strip it because you paying twice. (as long as its a light tint) I had no problems with double tint. But i dont think that green hue will go away. Most cars now come with the tint built into the glass, but its blue like on MB and dodge.

Theres another tint place on 112 south of sunrise south bound on the right. next to a usa gas or some thing like that. I would price the removal out.

O yea iam cool with Roney hes the owner he drives the porsche 911 he should cut you a break.

Last edited by Red Bully; 01-05-10 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 02:01 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

I cant imagine tinting over another layer of tint is a good idea so if your going to take it off, the taking off the tint part you can do yourself. It sucks because its tedious but you dont need much skill. just start peeling it off and use a razor to scrape off all the glue.
Old 01-05-10, 02:04 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would suggest talking to the owner and working out a deal to keep you a satisfied customer, but if they only use one tint...not much help.

Layering's a thought, but the green hue will probably still remain even a little, especially now that you're looking for it. It won't affect your window's operation.

Not sure how to get out of this...I guess I'd start looking for a decently-priced shop that will fix it for ya.
Old 01-05-10, 02:12 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take it back...maybe the shop owner will give you a discount on the next tint job.

As far as layering...that is not advised.
Old 01-05-10, 02:58 PM
aristo2369
Lead Lap

all you got to do is get a spray bottle little ammonia and some big garbage bags... spray the tint with with the ammonia/water mix on the tint and then put the garbage bag over the window and let it sit... make sure you dont let it dry.... after 30 minutes or so it should wet the glue enough to take the tint off.....
Old 01-05-10, 03:53 PM
Rides Low
Former Sponsor

keep the tint on, you paid good money for it. Bad idea taking it there when i sounded like you were already unhappy with the "choices"
Old 01-05-10, 04:49 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I never heard of applying a second layer of tint on windows.
Old 01-05-10, 05:02 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

This is my first lexus, and when I first got it a few months ago when driving at night I kept noticing the cars headlights behind me kept looking like they had a green tint? I wasn't sure if it was the glass or the rearview mirror doing it?

It kind seemed like it was the glass, but it didn't bother me much..

It's now tinted with Black 15% Advantage brand film and it looks straight black looking from outside the car..

I did have 2 layers of tint on a previous ext cab truck, 5% black w/ 50% mirror behind it.

I ran it like that for 2 years, the windows did go down a little slower when the second layer was added, but nothing to complain about. And there were no issues of peeling, bubbling, or non-adhesion between layers.

I loved it and it sure looked hard, but I could barley see in or out. It looked great but I wouldn't do it again.

Stripping tint is easy, it peels right off. It's just tedious to scrape the glue off with a razor blade. Probally about a 2 hour job for a big car.

Got a pic? The green probally doesn't show in picture tho..?
Old 01-06-10, 05:30 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Red Bully
i go to savage all the time on 112 they tinted 4 of my cars no problem. But i havent been there in a year so things could of changed they did expand to next door. As far as layering you can do it, they did it for me because it was stupid to strip it because you paying twice. (as long as its a light tint) I had no problems with double tint. But i dont think that green hue will go away. Most cars now come with the tint built into the glass, but its blue like on MB and dodge.

Theres another tint place on 112 south of sunrise south bound on the right. next to a usa gas or some thing like that. I would price the removal out.

O yea iam cool with Roney hes the owner he drives the porsche 911 he should cut you a break.
The tint job itself was GREAT! Not ONE bubble but it's just that color. Right away I spoke to Roney and before I could say anything he was saying that the car looked sick and the tint looks great. Then when I told him it looks kind of green he said that's just how it shows on your windows. Now, I KNOW for a fact there are different shades (colors) of tint and I was really looking for a nice slick pure black 30% tint.

I feel like it is SUCH a PITA to deal with this now...I feel like it's lose lose for me. My damn wife would probably kill me if I got my car re-tinted because she would feel that it is a waste to get rid of new tint; but if I'm not happy, well. Perhaps I should have complained more at that time when I was picking the car up; maybe they could have done something.

I am not too familiar with the different types of tint so I just told the guy 30% and make sure it is black. As soon as they layed the first piece of tint and saw it had this green tinge to it they should have called me. I am telling you right now I would have paid them the $100 for stripping the old and I just would have went to another shop if they didn't have any alternative tints; no hard feelings - it's business.

Oh, and my battery was completely dead when I picked it up and they had to give me a jump. They apologized and said the tint guy must have had the stereo on. To me it just seems like (especially in the car industry) that if you're not dropping a ton of money on a project your not respected or taken seriously.

As a side note when I was picking it up (late in the day) some guy there was going NUTS in the parking lot on his street bike. All of a sudden I hear BANG! I look around the corner behind the building by the overhead doors (garage bays) and he totally wiped out and wrecked the bike missing Roney's Porsche by a couple of feet. I found out that it wasn't even his bike; it was a co-workers. lol

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 01-06-10 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-06-10, 05:35 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
This is my first lexus, and when I first got it a few months ago when driving at night I kept noticing the cars headlights behind me kept looking like they had a green tint? I wasn't sure if it was the glass or the rearview mirror doing it?

It kind seemed like it was the glass, but it didn't bother me much..

It's now tinted with Black 15% Advantage brand film and it looks straight black looking from outside the car..

I did have 2 layers of tint on a previous ext cab truck, 5% black w/ 50% mirror behind it.

I ran it like that for 2 years, the windows did go down a little slower when the second layer was added, but nothing to complain about. And there were no issues of peeling, bubbling, or non-adhesion between layers.

I loved it and it sure looked hard, but I could barley see in or out. It looked great but I wouldn't do it again.

Stripping tint is easy, it peels right off. It's just tedious to scrape the glue off with a razor blade. Probally about a 2 hour job for a big car.

Got a pic? The green probally doesn't show in picture tho..?
I will post a pic when I get a chance.
Old 01-06-10, 08:54 AM
otis_jzs
Lead Lap

Tinting tint dosent sound like a smart idea to me
Old 01-06-10, 11:50 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its definitely been done before, but not me personally. I had a SUV that had tinted windows from the factory so it's not as if it was tint film over film, but anyways I have had friends with 2 layers of tint, in fact some limos do it. If you want to remove it yourself, like people have said it is pretty easy, it just takes some time. Windex makes the glue removal with a razor blade a lot easier. I got a tint ticket about a year ago, I had the old tint off within about an hour, but of course now I miss it, debating whether I should get it tinted again.
Old 01-06-10, 07:50 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
The tint job itself was GREAT! Not ONE bubble but it's just that color. Right away I spoke to Roney and before I could say anything he was saying that the car looked sick and the tint looks great. Then when I told him it looks kind of green he said that's just how it shows on your windows. Now, I KNOW for a fact there are different shades (colors) of tint and I was really looking for a nice slick pure black 30% tint.

I feel like it is SUCH a PITA to deal with this now...I feel like it's lose lose for me. My damn wife would probably kill me if I got my car re-tinted because she would feel that it is a waste to get rid of new tint; but if I'm not happy, well. Perhaps I should have complained more at that time when I was picking the car up; maybe they could have done something.

I am not too familiar with the different types of tint so I just told the guy 30% and make sure it is black. As soon as they layed the first piece of tint and saw it had this green tinge to it they should have called me. I am telling you right now I would have paid them the $100 for stripping the old and I just would have went to another shop if they didn't have any alternative tints; no hard feelings - it's business.

Oh, and my battery was completely dead when I picked it up and they had to give me a jump. They apologized and said the tint guy must have had the stereo on. To me it just seems like (especially in the car industry) that if you're not dropping a ton of money on a project your not respected or taken seriously.

As a side note when I was picking it up (late in the day) some guy there was going NUTS in the parking lot on his street bike. All of a sudden I hear BANG! I look around the corner behind the building by the overhead doors (garage bays) and he totally wiped out and wrecked the bike missing Roney's Porsche by a couple of feet. I found out that it wasn't even his bike; it was a co-workers. lol
I know some of the guys there and some of them are not too swift lol. And your right for some reason these days it doesnt seem like people care how the consumer feels its sucks you would think they would want to keep you happy but even with money they treat you like a #.

Quick Reply: I HATE my tint! ;(