GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

tv install

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 12:03 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tv install

hey guys just wondering if anyone can help me cause idk where to start..
this is all i can provide, crappy cell phone pics.(dont have camera)

i opened it up and this was all i saw. I was told to open it up and find like rcas and i just saw this. they were tagged video on the yellow one's but then there was like black cords attached to it like an rca that ran up to stereo area and at the end of the black wire wasn't a rca but silver wires attached to it. the one's you can see in my hand. so basically its a bunch of black and red wires that ended up to 4 silver wires. 2 were attached. and one black wire that ended up being 1 rca. if someone can lead me in the right direction it would be a big help. it came with the car when i bought it. and yesterday some girl said "are these tv's real cause its not working,wait these are just here for decoration right?" so i made some bs story up and was like they have to be turned on from up here...
thankx guys
Old 01-07-10, 12:33 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are trying to hook up the headrest TVs, then those RCAs need to be plugged into a headunit that supports a TV output. If i understand what you are asking for.
Old 01-07-10, 01:49 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
If you are trying to hook up the headrest TVs, then those RCAs need to be plugged into a headunit that supports a TV output. If i understand what you are asking for.
yeah i know, but its wierd cause i only have one rca and my headunit does support a tv output. like i can see the rca's but they have another rca connected to it with the ends stripped. makes me wonder how this guy did his stuff. my uncle noticed my hazards didn't work. and saw it was disconnected and that someone was trying to get power from it. do you think maybe the silver wires are like the ones that power the tv??
Old 01-07-10, 02:32 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does your HU support AV in? You might have to get an external player inorder to use the headrest monitors.
Old 01-07-10, 04:17 PM
young's 96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do like what I do when I think I can do something and I look at it and it starts messing with my brain take it someone professional.
Old 01-07-10, 05:59 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Ok, first off, Does you headunit have video out?? Does it have video in? We can take it from there. LOL at the decoration comment
Old 01-07-10, 06:17 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Ok, first off, Does you headunit have video out?? Does it have video in? We can take it from there. LOL at the decoration comment
More like is there any monitor in the car? Or did you just find it like that and want to set some up.

Go fine the other end......where is it at?

Than we can help. lol
Old 01-07-10, 06:23 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

I think he has monitors...
Old 01-07-10, 07:47 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EN_VY
I think he has monitors...
ha yeah its monitors! i see them like the same thing... lol

they're fig vision... i can't even find em on the internet. so i dont know what the ends look like.. looks like they were forced and like carved into the headrests.. cause like the staples kinda popped out. so im scared to touch it,
haha
heres a pic for you guys.

like dood, the silver wires and the one rca was like connected to a bunch of wires and all came up to those. when i opened up the middle thats all the stuff i saw. it looked like spaghetti so i didnt wanna touch it.

and yes my head unit has videoin/out av/ and all that good stuff
Old 01-07-10, 08:05 PM
Rides Low
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a hack job, rip it out and re do it
Old 01-07-10, 08:17 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

All headrests that I've dealt with have a separate unit attached to it (a box if you would) If you remove the back panel behind the seat, you'll probably find that box in there and its all plug and play there (unless you bought the headrests separate) the 'box' will have your video inputs and 2 or 3 wires (red and black or red, black and yellow) and those power your monitors on. the video RCA from the deck will plug straight into it. Being that the deck is on the cheaper side (not clowning, just stating facts) you might need a video signal booster/amplifier to run both headrest monitors, but you wont know until its all been installed.

if you were just installing a new set of monitors I would say this:

install headrests put wire from monitor through the hole of headrest mount and attach to 'box'

wire the 'box' up for powering.

run video rca from deck to box

and you're done

hopefully from that you can find the info you need to finish install. As stated above, it appears to be a hack job... My first set of headrest didnt come with 'boxes' (didnt know they needed them) but I was able to open the monitors up and hard wire all the cables I needed you stated you saw some stripped wires which leads me to believe there arent any 'boxes' and some type of hardwire was done.
Old 01-08-10, 09:18 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rides Low
looks like a hack job, rip it out and re do it
Originally Posted by bigguppy
More like is there any monitor in the car? Or did you just find it like that and want to set some up.

Go fine the other end......where is it at?

Than we can help. lol
ok im gunna take everything out in a min. but i need help cause i dont know how to open the center consol. theres more wires in there but i dont wanna break anything.

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
All headrests that I've dealt with have a separate unit attached to it (a box if you would) If you remove the back panel behind the seat, you'll probably find that box in there and its all plug and play there (unless you bought the headrests separate) the 'box' will have your video inputs and 2 or 3 wires (red and black or red, black and yellow) and those power your monitors on. the video RCA from the deck will plug straight into it. Being that the deck is on the cheaper side (not clowning, just stating facts) you might need a video signal booster/amplifier to run both headrest monitors, but you wont know until its all been installed.

if you were just installing a new set of monitors I would say this:

install headrests put wire from monitor through the hole of headrest mount and attach to 'box'

wire the 'box' up for powering.

run video rca from deck to box

and you're done

hopefully from that you can find the info you need to finish install. As stated above, it appears to be a hack job... My first set of headrest didnt come with 'boxes' (didnt know they needed them) but I was able to open the monitors up and hard wire all the cables I needed you stated you saw some stripped wires which leads me to believe there arent any 'boxes' and some type of hardwire was done.
yeah i know. i knew that when i bought it. either way i was gunna buy one my friend told me its better to have a video amp anyways cause it might flikker and all that silly stuff. but yeah thanks for the info ill be looking at all that stuff after i find out how to remove center consol.
Old 01-08-10, 11:29 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

yayy!!! update! i love you guys!!!

ok it was in the same spot as the first pics i just didnt want to touch it cause i didnt know what i was doing. but i rememeber someone on here told me its just a car and it can be fixed. so i started digging.

ok i fallowed the wirs from the head rest to the dash and i found that little box!! it has a tag and says 12V!! and from that come out the 2, red and black wires! and the silver wires i was talking about i guess was just like an extension so it would be longer if you can see it in the picture. and then next to it was the video cables and it had this wierd lil things that connected/converted both monitors rca into to one rca! witch was that 1 rca that was in my hand. so i feel so much closer to getting this done!
so im guessing the red and black are the power wires..

so next question. where do i get the power from? i think the guy used the harzard lights to get power. with all the things that needs to be done to my car, i need em. and do i twist the black and red wires together?
Old 01-08-10, 02:42 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

bump! lol
Old 01-08-10, 03:54 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
My first set of headrest didnt come with 'boxes'
That usually means they are stolen