GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Foglights are illegal in CA????

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 10:51 AM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude your car is all murdered out. Cop was probably like wtf, snoop turn ur fogs off.

Ya man what City, curious.
Old 01-12-10, 11:41 AM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dumb cops have nothing better to do than to harass someone for there fog lights. that cop is an idiot they make fogs yellow for a reason the yellow light cuts thru fog better and doesn't reflect as much light off the fog. cali is so broke right now they are looking for any reason they can to write you a ticket so they can get that fine money **** the chp has classes for there officers so they can pick out mods to give tickets for!! i hate cops there never there when you need them!!!!
Old 01-12-10, 11:45 AM
JustInGS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

prolly needed to pull someone over to make there quota
Old 01-12-10, 11:46 AM
vipjason
Lead Lap

i have no problem at all.
Old 01-12-10, 05:19 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
My parents have a Grand Am and the fog lights are on all the time, they cant be turned off...
Can't be turned off at all? Do they even stay on with the high beams?

Here in VA the state laws require the fogs to turn off when the high beams are on. State inspection can fail the car if they dont.

I always thought it was the same everywhere?
Old 01-12-10, 08:04 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Can't be turned off at all? Do they even stay on with the high beams?

Here in VA the state laws require the fogs to turn off when the high beams are on. State inspection can fail the car if they dont.

I always thought it was the same everywhere?
that i'm unsure of. As for same everywhere, we in Cali dont have inspections like a lot of stated do (unless a car is brought from out of state to be registered), they're only concerned with smog.... then let the cops tend to those "inspections" with a ticket!
Old 01-12-10, 08:21 PM
StockGS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jrezo
Dude your car is all murdered out. Cop was probably like wtf, snoop turn ur fogs off.

Ya man what City, curious.
It was in San Jose. . . yeah my car use to look like that but all the tint is off now. . .

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
bull crap! did you get a ticket?
No, if I did I would have been even more pissed. The cop actually told me he is a nice guy and only gives out warnings. If he wanted to be a jerk he can search through my car and find something illegal. I offered to pop my hood for him. He told me it wasn't necessary because he doesn't believe you can do much to Lexus cars besides cosmestics. I think that comment actually makes me feel less paranoid about cops trying to pop my hood. . .
Old 01-12-10, 08:25 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

i only had a cop pull me over in milpitas, ca (which was near San Jose) i think cops down in the south bay are more strict a bout mods. up in san francisco, i've never gotten pulled over for my lights (6k headlight + 6K fog)
Old 01-12-10, 10:14 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think more people should turn on their fog light. It'll become normal and not illegal I like my fogs on because they help illuminate the road. Plus, it's not bothering anyone, it's sits low damn it!
Old 01-12-10, 11:38 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StockGS400
It was in San Jose. . . yeah my car use to look like that but all the tint is off now. . .

I think that comment actually makes me feel less paranoid about cops trying to pop my hood. . .
That makes me feel better since I'm in the San Jose area and I don't have any illegal external mods, but if a cop makes me pop my hood, it's all over.

Originally Posted by StockGS400
He told me it wasn't necessary because he doesn't believe you can do much to Lexus cars besides cosmestics.
That's what he thinks.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-12-10 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-12-10, 11:51 PM
a#'z
Lead Lap

having fogs is optional, I drive with my fogs and haven't got pulled over upon it, i switch mines with 3k, 6k and 8k. But i agree, maybe the cop was bored. Could the people that got pulled over in North cali, been pulled over from the same cop? it be funny. lol
Old 01-13-10, 12:56 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
That makes me feel better since I'm in the San Jose area and I don't have any illegal external mods, but if a cop makes me pop my hood, it's all over.

That's what he thinks.

SHHhhh...keep it quiet

That would be hilarious if the same cop keeps pulling people over for the amber foglight. LOL.
Old 01-13-10, 09:53 AM
DJ420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RMMGS4

That's what he thinks.

Not to bust yer *****, but you DO have 1 illegal external mod! No front sidemarkers! I have the same mod.. RMM FTW.
Old 01-13-10, 10:16 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ420
Not to bust yer *****, but you DO have 1 illegal external mod! No front sidemarkers! I have the same mod.. RMM FTW.
Ahhhhh Good Catch !

Totally forgot that it was deleted. Bought my car with the kit already installed, so it was not readily apparent to me.

FWIW - I am planning a future mod which will include an LED side marker.
Old 01-13-10, 11:11 AM
DJ420
Pole Position

Heheh.. I bought my GS4 with the kit already on it as well! I was looking into exterior light mods and was like HEY! I dont have sidemarkers! lol Im surprised they didnt incorporate some sort of small LED ones onto it..

BTW, I run fogs CONSTANTLY and have never been harrassed for them! BUT I have heard a friend talk of how a cop busted his chops for running them without foggy conditions as well.. I think they just like to be tough guys! lol

Quick Reply: Foglights are illegal in CA????