GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gas Mileage Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 08:55 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Gas Mileage Checklist

Ok I need to start narrowing down what's killing my gas mileage. I decided to put together a checklist to see whats causing it.

I do mixed driving and im only getting 9-10 mpg!!!

Car is still lowered but I am back on stock wheels.

Step one... I took off the 20's and emptied my trunk. Mileage has not changed.

So far here are the things I NEED to check.

-Alignment
-Plugs

Anything else? I have no CEL's

Would a bad o2 not show up as a CEL and cause problems?
Old 01-13-10, 02:05 AM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

yes bad o2 sensor will show up on CEL. i would say clean ur mass air flow sensor, clean ur throttle body, fuel injector cleaner, flush ur tranny, engine oil, air filter. that's all i can think of rite now
Old 01-13-10, 04:41 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

I think it could also be the spark plugs.

(correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 01-13-10, 05:24 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Curry
Ok I need to start narrowing down what's killing my gas mileage. I decided to put together a checklist to see whats causing it.

I do mixed driving and im only getting 9-10 mpg!!!

Car is still lowered but I am back on stock wheels.

Step one... I took off the 20's and emptied my trunk. Mileage has not changed.

So far here are the things I NEED to check.

-Alignment
-Plugs

Anything else? I have no CEL's

Would a bad o2 not show up as a CEL and cause problems?

Yes, check those items and all other previously mentioned by the other members. Something has to be going on there. Also, I know this may sound stupid but are you putting premium fuel in it? Try some Techron fuel injection cleaner or even Lucas fuel injection cleaner.

BTW, your car looks great (in your sig)! I said it before and I'll say it again...those tails looks nice on your ride MUCH better looking than when they were on my car; I guess it goes with the VIP route much more.
Old 01-13-10, 05:58 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I would start with the fuel cleaner like Rock said and probably the plugs if they never been done before. Also do the MAF sensor and TB clean...
Old 01-13-10, 06:02 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Clean your MAF sensor?
Clean your throttle body?
O2 sensors changed?
Old 01-13-10, 07:12 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new Plugs, new air filter, Fuel Injector cleaner, and yeah oxygen sensors.
Old 01-13-10, 07:50 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what part of NY do you live? because If it's NYC, its not going to help.

I asked this same question a couple months ago, and a few other members from here in NYC said its NOT going to improve. due to the stop and go traffic. and they got low MPG #'s too.

BUT still maintain your car right even if you won't get better MPG
Old 01-13-10, 10:19 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swat1727
yes bad o2 sensor will show up on CEL. i would say clean ur mass air flow sensor, clean ur throttle body, fuel injector cleaner, flush ur tranny, engine oil, air filter. that's all i can think of rite now
i think swat covered it!
Old 01-13-10, 12:53 PM
epic1si
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotta agree with the others here...i have a gte swap and i get like 15mpg mixed driving then again i'm hammering it half the time too
Old 01-13-10, 01:29 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I get an average of between 20-22 mpg at the end of the tank, I don't do much highway driving. The best I saw once was when I went for a highway trip after filling the tank, when I got to my destination it was equal to about 29 mpg.

OOps... I didn't realize I was in the 2gs forum. I own a 3gs. I'm sure my comments don't help. :|

Last edited by BinaryJay; 01-13-10 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-13-10, 03:18 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys I'm going to start doing those things tomorrow and see what happens. First things first.. Im doing my inner tie rods then getting an alignment.

I did change ONE o2 and that was because I got a CEL. Should I change the rest anyway?

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Yes, check those items and all other previously mentioned by the other members. Something has to be going on there. Also, I know this may sound stupid but are you putting premium fuel in it? Try some Techron fuel injection cleaner or even Lucas fuel injection cleaner.

BTW, your car looks great (in your sig)! I said it before and I'll say it again...those tails looks nice on your ride MUCH better looking than when they were on my car; I guess it goes with the VIP route much more.
Thanks bro. I do get a lot of questions about the lights. lol. Much props to your work... I have yet to see them leak!! Sig is old... I have new wheels and a lower drop.

Oh and yes I am using premium fuel. I have used a bottle of STP cleaner already didn't see any difference. Maybe a different brand of cleaner?

Originally Posted by kosi718
what part of NY do you live? because If it's NYC, its not going to help.

I asked this same question a couple months ago, and a few other members from here in NYC said its NOT going to improve. due to the stop and go traffic. and they got low MPG #'s too.

BUT still maintain your car right even if you won't get better MPG
I am in queens but I know 2gs owners that are getting 18-20 mpg right here in queens and brooklyn. There is no reason I should be getting 10mpg with STOCK wheels. Something went wrong somewhere.

Last edited by Curry; 01-13-10 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-14-10, 05:20 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Curry,

If you decide to change ALL O2 sensors buy them at sparkplugs.com. Trust me...they don't just sell spark plugs! Their O2 sensors are by far the cheapest around! They have OEM Denso O2 sensors made for our cars for around $85/ea...I remember about 6 months ago I replaced all of them for around $350/shipped! The dealer (including Carson) wants anywhere from $220-$250 for EACH O2 sensor. Check out that website!

Also, the STP stuff is junk...try either Lucas or Techron; it makes a BIG difference. Also, Lucas I believe lubricates the upper engine components as well.
Old 01-14-10, 08:35 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

If I go with changing all my o2's it will be at the end if the other things dont work. When I did change one I had bought a universal denso for like 52 bucks and it seemed to work. No more CEL. I doubt that could be contributing to whats going on.

I'll pick up a bottle of lucas today and try that.

Any suggestions on sparkplugs? NGK's from autozone are fine?

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Curry,

If you decide to change ALL O2 sensors buy them at sparkplugs.com. Trust me...they don't just sell spark plugs! Their O2 sensors are by far the cheapest around! They have OEM Denso O2 sensors made for our cars for around $85/ea...I remember about 6 months ago I replaced all of them for around $350/shipped! The dealer (including Carson) wants anywhere from $220-$250 for EACH O2 sensor. Check out that website!

Also, the STP stuff is junk...try either Lucas or Techron; it makes a BIG difference. Also, Lucas I believe lubricates the upper engine components as well.
Old 01-14-10, 09:42 AM
98GS300-2
Driver School Candidate

Despite what everyone says, including the owners manual, I have gotten better mileage and performance with single electrode plugs vs dual electrodes. I had duals in and every time I started it I could hear some knock it sounded like while it sat an idled. I threw singles back in and that went away, also had better throttle response and about 1mpg increase.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage Checklist