GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus or BMW????

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-02, 11:10 AM
bschack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by whitels
Get the Bimmer, no doubt about it.

1. We have another soul to beat in the stop light.
2. We keep the exclusivity of the GS to less people while your number add up to the already swelling number of 3 series owners.
3. I'm getting tired of having to read "what is best for me" type questions. I believe that question is yours to answer and the facts are everywhere around us to digest and make a good personal decision.

Good luck on "your" decision. Hope you get the Bimmer
Now I think I'm gonna get the Lexus just to spite you! I know its my decision but who better to ask about a car than the people who drive them everyday. My evaluation of the GS is a 15 minute drive with a salesman in the passenger seat.
Old 05-16-02, 11:46 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank goodness, it worked!!! Yes, I believe you. 15 minutes is all it takes. Another happy camper.
Old 05-16-02, 11:51 AM
bschack
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by whitels
Thank goodness, it worked!!! Yes, I believe you. 15 minutes is all it takes. Another happy camper.
Actually, I just got off the phone with my local Lexus dealer - I told him my quandry - and he offered to give me a 2002 GS to try out - I'm gonna pick it up next Saturday at 5:00 when they close, and I get to drive it until Tuesday morning when I have to return it!!!!!! Hopefully, I will love the car and order it when I go back to return it!! In any event, the fact that the dealer is doing this for me has gone a long way towards making me want to buy a Lexus.
Old 05-16-02, 01:09 PM
TIKTIK11
Driver

Default G35

Test drove it, and think Infiniti has a winner!! I am lexus, benz, bimmer, infiniti guy, and i think the G35 was extrememly roomy, had excellent quality, performance and handlinggg. With the price tag of around 35k fully loaded, its a steal. Be aware of the roaminess, in back as well, handling, and torque. Kick assss coupe coming out in Oct-Nov!
Old 05-16-02, 01:23 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by bschack

...In any event, the fact that the dealer is doing this for me has gone a long way towards making me want to buy a Lexus.
Try that with a BMW dealer if you know what I mean. The GS4 is in short supply and dealers can pretty much stick it with customers.
Old 05-16-02, 01:30 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Sounds like Bitkahuna is a father also. Yeah, if you have kids in the back frequently, you definitely want an automatic to free up your hand!

Speaking as a father with two booster seats in the back, you need the extra room in a GS. The 3-series is way too small. You don't want your kid to keep kicking your seat back, do you?
Old 05-16-02, 01:51 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS or Bimmer

I'd definitely go with the GS if you ever plan on using it for the kid(s). I have 2 and I am actually contemplating (nobody make any offers yet) selling my GS after my lease buyout and getting an SC430. Reason...I never have my kids in the GS and if I'm gonna have a "fun" car it's gonna be a drop top. If the car is going to be a daily driver and occasional kid taxi the bimmer is too small. My son kicks my seat in the GS...can't imagine he'd even fit in the back of a bimmer. If the car is for pure fun and you have anopther car for you and your wife get the smaller sportier one...if it needs to be a dual purpose car the GS is your best bet. THe fact that the dealer is loaning you the car is a testament to Lexus' committment to customer service, and they know you're gonna come back and say "can I just keep this one?" Have fun with your decision.
Old 05-16-02, 02:02 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Only you can decide. Remember that BMW is contracting Toyota to make engines for them.
Old 05-16-02, 02:28 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Default Re: G35

Originally posted by TIKTIK11
Test drove it, and think Infiniti has a winner!! I am lexus, benz, bimmer, infiniti guy, and i think the G35 was extrememly roomy, had excellent quality, performance and handlinggg. With the price tag of around 35k fully loaded, its a steal. Be aware of the roaminess, in back as well, handling, and torque. Kick assss coupe coming out in Oct-Nov!
Depends what you're comparing it to. Would have to disagree if comparing to a GS4. G35 is smaller, slower, and plastic. Compared to the 330, close.
My friend (former mechanic at BMW) gave me 2 options, BMWs a nice car, but not reliable after 3yrs. If you lease, BMW 530/540, if you buy, Lexus GS. Simple? You decide...
Old 05-16-02, 03:01 PM
ocnbrzz
Driver

Ihad the same choice as you, BMW or LEXUS........

I have two kids also, 11 & 13 yrs old, and besides all the reasons which have been mentioned already, here in So. Cal. BMW's are EVERYWHERE !!!!
Seriously, they are darn near as common as ford or chevy's here along the coast. Everytime I go out driving I keep my eyes peeled for a "GS" any GS.... and I just don't see many of them.

What I do see is alot, and I mean a whole lot of 3 & 5 series BMW's and the same amount of MBZ E-class...all driving around thinking they are real exclusive

fyi, before my GS I owned a MBZ S500.. got rid of it as it too started to fall apart.

I think once you spend a little time driving that loaner GS, you'll be hooked. No doubt in my mind.
Old 05-16-02, 03:37 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ocnbrzz
[B]fyi, before my GS I owned a MBZ S500.. got rid of it as it too started to fall apart.

It's comments like this that made me happy that I chose Lexus instead of BMW or MB -=)

ShOwGS
Old 05-16-02, 03:43 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BMW vs. Lexus? Tough choice...but as said before depends on your taste. A 540i vs. GS430 I would pick the BMW. 330i vs. GS430 I would pick the Lexus. One thing the BMW has over all Lexus is the German built road-feel and handling. If you must have a 3-series get the M3!!!
Old 05-16-02, 04:12 PM
S300
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by GS430lvr
BMW vs. Lexus? Tough choice...but as said before depends on your taste. A 540i vs. GS430 I would pick the BMW.
Apparently Consumer Guide agrees with you as well GS430lvr

"Value for the Money

All told, GS is the only true Japanese alternative to taut-handling German sport sedans, without losing the posh, smooth ride of a Lexus. Prices are a drawback, but the GS is still worth a look if you're shopping in the Lexus level. We prefer the BMW 540i and Mercedes-Benz E430 over the GS 400, which makes the GS 300 our pick as the better value of the duo ."

Last edited by S300; 05-16-02 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-16-02, 05:10 PM
hhodgetts
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb another opinion...

BMW 330 vs Lexus GS430...

Actually, I have faced the exact same quandry.
Currently I own a 99 GS400. My previous car was a 98 BMW M3.
I have driven the 330ci many times.

If both vehicles were in my garage each morning, I would drive the BMW most days. Despite that, I have chosen to own a Lexus over a BMW why?

Personal choice part - I am an aggressive driver, I love to drive fast and go around corners even faster. BMW simply beats the pants off virtually everything else (including Lexus) in the "fun to drive fast" category.

So why did I chose the Lexus?
1. Maintenance - Lexus is FAR more reliable
2. Operating cost - Lexus is FAR cheaper to maintain than BMW
3. Size - I have two kids. The larger Lexus is far better on trips
4. Insurance - Lexus is cheaper to insure
5. Mods - Lexus is generally easier and cheaper to modify. With a few thousand dollars of mods, the Lexus goes a long way towards closing the gap in the "fun to drive" category.

6. Safety - I'd call it virtually even here. As an insurance underwriter with access to the "REAL" safety statistics I would like to point out a HUGE and TOTAL safety MYTH.

BIGGER is NOT automatically safer.
Which is saver to drive a BMW 330 or a Ford Excursion (the largest vehicle on the road)?
Your odds of death per mile driven are TWICE as high in the Ford (or any SUV) than the BMW 330.
Why? SUV's roll over in 1/3 of all serious accidents. Your chances of dying go up 50 times if you roll over. It is true that if an Excursion runs head on into a 330, the 330 will suffer more damage, but that is only 1 scenario and in the real world most scenarios do NOT favor a SUV !!
Cars today are far smaller than they were 30 years ago, yet the death rate has dropped dramatically. Why? Better design. It has very little to do with size. Design is a far more important factor in safety than size. Both the BMW and Lexus are very safe vehicles although the Lexus does have a very slight edge in safety.
Old 05-16-02, 05:18 PM
hhodgetts
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb another idea...

It just occurred to me. Get both!
You don't have the money? Sure you do!
The cost of a brand new GS430 is $55-60k.

I just bought a 99 GS400 for $25,000 (my daily driver)
I'm looking for a 95 M3 they're about $18,000 (to race at Road Atlanta on weekends)
Buy both and save $15-18k !!

Quick Reply: Lexus or BMW????