GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus or BMW????

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-02, 09:13 AM
bschack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus or BMW????

This is probably not the best place to get an objective opinion, but I'd like some advice. I am struggling over which car to buy - I have it down to the BMW 330xi (manual) or the Lexus GS430. Now, I know they are not comparable cars - totally different sizes and all. TO me, the BMW has the advantage of superior handling, all wheel drive for the winter, and the option of a manual transmission. The Lexus has the advantages of a roomier car (I have 1 infant and hopefully another during the life of the car, faster car, and much more luxurious interior. Assuming cost is not a factor in the decision, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts - especially people who are familiar with the BMW. I hate to give up a great performing stick shift vehicle (I drive an Audi A4 now), and at the same time, I long for the spaciousness and luxury of the Lexus.
Old 05-16-02, 09:27 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say the bimmer 330xi. You get AWD, next to the smallest interior in class, average at best reliability & a 6.6(M.T. pulled the 5.8# out of their...) 0-60 time vs. the GS4's 5.9
Old 05-16-02, 09:35 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

honestly, this is a tough tough decision. Here are some PROS and CONS of each:

BMW 330xi Manual
PROS:
All Wheel Drive (excellent for the snow)
Handling, every 3 series has superb handling

CONS:
Very small cars (not good if your planning on 2 kids)
More sport than Luxury ( BMW 3 Series don't phase many people as Luxury, they are NICE, but nothing compared to the GS
Leather is too stiff
Small car = death wish in an accident

Lexus GS 430
PROS:
300 HP, 0 - 60 = 5.8
Spacious (good for kids)
Comfortable ( leather is very comfortable as is the ride)
Bigger which allows for more safety in an accident

CONS:
Horrible in the snow, one of the worst
Handling - the car floats more than anything
300 HP - this can get you in trouble especially if your on the highway =] (tempting to just gun it)

It depends hw you look at it, they both even out each has it's own different variation to it, I suggest you check out some car reviews and also test drive the GS 430.

On another note: You may want to consider an Audi A6 or the new A4 3.0 Quattro. Very nice cars plus the new A4's have added room in the rear. AND you can get the new A4 in a 6-Speed Quattro. Check them out.

Last edited by futuregs; 05-16-02 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-16-02, 10:03 AM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Since you're currently an A4 driver why didn't you consider the Quattro A6. With the higher HP motor that car seems to fit better with respect to your selection points.
Old 05-16-02, 10:05 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Mr GS400
Since you're currently an A4 driver why didn't you consider the Quattro A6. With the higher HP motor that car seems to fit better with respect to your selection points.
didn't I just make that suggestion as well?????
Old 05-16-02, 10:23 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Or u can check out the audi A6 quattro that would probably better Suite u

ShOwGS

LoLoL just kiddin
Old 05-16-02, 10:25 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ShowGSLuVv
Or u can check out the audi A6 quattro that would probably better Suite u

ShOwGS

LoLoL just kiddin

lol i looked at just the top and said to myself, "What an idiot" then i scrolled all the way down....lol
Old 05-16-02, 10:30 AM
bschack
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Mr GS400
I honestly just don't like the looks of the A6. Also, as much as I love my Audi, I'd like to try something new - for variety's sake.
Old 05-16-02, 10:34 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bschack

I honestly just don't like the looks of the A6. Also, as much as I love my Audi, I'd like to try something new - for variety's sake.
Then i would take my comments up top into consideration.
For the kids your better off with the GS
For the snow the xi
Old 05-16-02, 10:36 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

well I just decided what kind of advice im gonna give u, the 330Ci, is a POS.... it'll be junk in a matter of 6 months, they are pretty fast and handle very good, but I "think" any turn u would take with a child in the back, the GS will handle it, plus more, as far as luxury and reliability the GS is all the way on that too. I know someone who has a 330Ci and the would grain is completely worn out as if someone rubbed sand paper on it... which goes to show that the Lexus has Higher quality inside as well. Some people might say Oh well he probably wipes it with the wrong thing but uses the same microfiber towels. Another thing, if u still want a fast car that handles good and has some luxury, Check out the Infiniti G35, it's about 34 I believe Fully loaded, My father has one and it's a fun car to drive, handling is really really tight, and u'll save some money over the BMW or GS, I have a GS and I could never be happier with a car, unless it was a Lamborghini or somthing LoL

ShOwGS
Old 05-16-02, 10:40 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

As a current BMW driver who's imminently making the switch to a GS430, I strongly favor the Lexus. Others have made excellent points, so let me bring up another one: to me, German cars and Japanese cars take completely different approaches to things, and I prefer the Japanese "simple elegance" rather than the German "techno overload". This applies to design as well as gadgets--which do YOU prefer?
Old 05-16-02, 10:54 AM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

man just get the lexus, ask your self this... would a 330... look as good as a gs430 w/ 20's... now ponder that... hmmm

drew
Old 05-16-02, 11:04 AM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

All prices aside, get the GS cuz you're comparing a GS with 3 series. A fairer comparison would be a GS vs a 5 series (still go with GS). Now, IS vs 330xi? 330xi.

But GS and 3 series it's an easy pick. GS. It's bigger, more bang for the buck, it's a v8 and it's a GS and i have one heh heh

Seriously though, a gs would be a better family car and looks more expensive then the bimmer 3 series.
Old 05-16-02, 11:05 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the Bimmer, no doubt about it.

1. We have another soul to beat in the stop light.
2. We keep the exclusivity of the GS to less people while your number add up to the already swelling number of 3 series owners.
3. I'm getting tired of having to read "what is best for me" type questions. I believe that question is yours to answer and the facts are everywhere around us to digest and make a good personal decision.

Good luck on "your" decision. Hope you get the Bimmer
Old 05-16-02, 11:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts
Default Re: Lexus or BMW????

Originally posted by bschack
I hate to give up a great performing stick shift vehicle...
When you're driving down the road trying to wipe the snot off your little one's face in the child seat, the last thing you want to be doing is shifting gears.

Small children and sports cars or any car driven fast or aggressively don't mix.

Suggest you get a vehicle big enough for kids and either keep the A4 for fun or get something else later just for fun.

The 3 series has become bigger and more comfortable, but it's still small.

Quick Reply: Lexus or BMW????