GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bumper Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-10, 07:45 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bumper Paint

I need slight bumper fill and touch-ups, hopefully a few hundred dollars.

Toyota or Lexus Dealer?

Maaco ok?
Old 01-21-10, 11:32 AM
airahcaz
Instructor

sorry for the bump, but I'm about to go to Maaco, they quoted me less than $400 for a few fillers on the bumper holes, and I don't want to spend that much more at a stealership etc

Unless someone has other recommendations, or a Maaco competitor, please let me know asap!
Old 01-21-10, 12:19 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by airahcaz
sorry for the bump, but I'm about to go to Maaco, they quoted me less than $400 for a few fillers on the bumper holes, and I don't want to spend that much more at a stealership etc

Unless someone has other recommendations, or a Maaco competitor, please let me know asap!
u gonna regret going to maaco. i havent seen anything good come from them or places like that. my buddy had his nova painted there and they sprayed his rims, his interior etc. doubtful they will even remove the bumper to paint it and thats how you should do it, or IMHO atleast. very few things do i like having re-painted while its still attached to the car. i guess in short im saying they probably wont do the necessary prep work for this and you probably wont like it

call a few reputable body shops in the area and ask them, they will probably wanna see it first though. thats what i would do....a repaint on the rear bumper from a reputable body shop should be close to that price maaco quoted you and they will offer better service i would think. just my $0.02 GL
Old 01-21-10, 02:08 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

they quoted me $250 to fill some cracks and paint the bumper, and another $100 to touch up other areas and then buff / polish whole car

taking off the bumper will cost a lot more
Old 01-21-10, 02:15 PM
cjames235
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would at least take the bumper off of the car and bring it to them........ it is almost impossible to paint body panels on the car without getting overspray all over the rest of the car (especially on a bumper)...... a nice shop can do it more than likely, but maaco will most definately NOT take the time needed to properly cover up your car to not get overspray on everything
Old 01-21-10, 02:17 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get what you pay for.
Old 01-21-10, 06:33 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats with the presidential paint service from Maaco? I though it was 299 for the whole car? What gives?
Old 01-22-10, 10:05 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by airahcaz
they quoted me $250 to fill some cracks and paint the bumper, and another $100 to touch up other areas and then buff / polish whole car

taking off the bumper will cost a lot more
its your car sir....do what u want. i wouldnt send ANYTHING to them though

Originally Posted by cjames235
i would at least take the bumper off of the car and bring it to them........ it is almost impossible to paint body panels on the car without getting overspray all over the rest of the car (especially on a bumper)...... a nice shop can do it more than likely, but maaco will most definately NOT take the time needed to properly cover up your car to not get overspray on everything
yeah....just like i said....see someone else knows lol

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
You get what you pay for.
true thats why i said nm....he asked for advice, i gave him some, he didnt like it so its cool. im done with it

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Whats with the presidential paint service from Maaco? I though it was 299 for the whole car? What gives?
do u really want your LUXURY car painted for 299....seriously....?
Old 01-22-10, 12:03 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

fair enough folks, but a few hundred for bumper, as long as they don't overspray, I really don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds on my 98 GS, just really touch up.

Body shop wants $350, Dealer wants $650
Old 01-22-10, 12:05 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i understand where ur coming from

First go to that maaco and take a look at their finished cars and see if thats the quality you want/can deal with.

Do that first then decide man
Old 01-22-10, 12:09 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

ya, they look ok, and for $250, to fill the chips, and repaint whole bumper, I can't ask for much more really?

touch paint is not enough, but nor do I need a paint job that is miraculous

I paid a toyota dealer over a G a few years ago, and now car is decent, but bumper still got hammered
Old 01-22-10, 12:42 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you see the work they did was ok, then go for it. I would also ask for the same person that did the car that you find acceptable to work on yours.

I would speak to them personally and compliment their work on the previous car they did and tell them youd like them to do yours.

It motivates people to do better if they know you like their work personally. All maacos are different since its a franchise. Some put extra time into it, some dont. Some paint better, some dont. Hope it works out for u
Old 01-22-10, 12:49 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

seems like no matter what people tell you, you already have your mind made up about going to maaco. good luck. i can almost bet it will come out ****ty with overspray and orange peel. not to mention i wouldnt be suprised if it starts to flake off within a year.

you dont cheap out on body work because in the long run you'll end up spending just the same amount if you would of went to a good shop when you need to fix all the problems.
Old 01-22-10, 01:41 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
seems like no matter what people tell you, you already have your mind made up about going to maaco. good luck. i can almost bet it will come out ****ty with overspray and orange peel. not to mention i wouldnt be suprised if it starts to flake off within a year.

you dont cheap out on body work because in the long run you'll end up spending just the same amount if you would of went to a good shop when you need to fix all the problems.
thats bout what i tried to say
Old 01-22-10, 03:11 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Maaco or Earl Schiebb for me.

Quick Reply: Bumper Paint