GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Uneven Tire Wear!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 12:35 PM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
im selling my megan ones if u check the classifieds
is that for the front?
Old 08-02-10, 01:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Aftermarket tie rods will not fix your tire wear problem. Your camber is excessive and your cross toe is very small compared to OEM spec. Camber is not an issue until you've hit around -2.5 degrees and after that, you WILL get camber wear, even if your toe is perfect. Incorrect toe will only accelerate wear, but camber wear will still be there.
Old 08-02-10, 01:18 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by eyecon7
is that for the front?
Negative skywalker.

Rear megan adjustable toe arms for the rear.
Old 08-02-10, 01:58 PM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
Aftermarket tie rods will not fix your tire wear problem. Your camber is excessive and your cross toe is very small compared to OEM spec. Camber is not an issue until you've hit around -2.5 degrees and after that, you WILL get camber wear, even if your toe is perfect. Incorrect toe will only accelerate wear, but camber wear will still be there.
yea i kno that, but i cant fix the camber since im slammed right, i mean my tires chop in the front cause of bad toe right? and i dont mind the tire wear problem its just the chopping i cant stand...
Old 08-02-10, 08:21 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Based on what you posted from the alignment shop....your front and rear toe is good...within spec.

Your camber is bad..... -3 degrees all around.

As far as the "chopping" in the front...I mentioned before...its gotta be something else like bad lbj, bad bushings, wheel not balanced, wheel not hubcentric mounted, etc....
Old 08-03-10, 10:08 AM
1UZJAY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the rear adjustable toe rods (they're made my top speed which is owned by megan racing now) and get the rear adjustable traction contrl rods from megan/top speed as well.

As for your fronts take a look at the caster arm bushings, also take a look at the ball joint and upper control arm; if youre tires are getting 'chopped' up on the inside i suspect its not due to it wearing out but due to something rubbing or hitting it. Are your wheels the correct offset?

Also, something you might all want to take in is that florida roads get super duper quadruply hot. So our tires wear out faster then up north, etc. We don't have the best of roads either.
Old 08-04-10, 12:29 AM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PHML
Based on what you posted from the alignment shop....your front and rear toe is good...within spec.

Your camber is bad..... -3 degrees all around.

As far as the "chopping" in the front...I mentioned before...its gotta be something else like bad lbj, bad bushings, wheel not balanced, wheel not hubcentric mounted, etc....
Ok back to the drawing board, replaced tie rods UCA ball joints, need to look at the castor bushing..

Originally Posted by 1UZJAY
Get the rear adjustable toe rods (they're made my top speed which is owned by megan racing now) and get the rear adjustable traction contrl rods from megan/top speed as well.

As for your fronts take a look at the caster arm bushings, also take a look at the ball joint and upper control arm; if youre tires are getting 'chopped' up on the inside i suspect its not due to it wearing out but due to something rubbing or hitting it. Are your wheels the correct offset?

Also, something you might all want to take in is that florida roads get super duper quadruply hot. So our tires wear out faster then up north, etc. We don't have the best of roads either.
What do u mean by correct offset? i doubt it but its ordered Specific for the LEX as far is HUB
Old 08-04-10, 08:33 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

bad toe will usually cause "saw-toothing" on the tire.. not really chopping.

chopping like stated above n beyond is usually caused by worn out shocks/spring/bushing etc. perdy much whatever that is worn beyond oe spec/
Old 10-03-10, 10:14 PM
OCLEX03
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to bump this but i have a question, if your caster bushings are shot, which means your toe is constantly changing, does that mean your gas mileage as well suffer?